Thread: No you money grabbing Bastards!!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Darkslide

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    People need to keep a couple things in mind.

Yes DLC is a way to squeeze more money out of a title. This has been the reasoning behind DLC from day one. Most companies could careless if you keep playing 1 particular game. In fact.. to the contrary they want you to tire of it eventually so you can buy the next game.

DLC just allows them to get a few extra bucks out of a game that's already finished. Oh... and most studio design DLC parallel to the main game. Hence DLC leaks like the recent XBL leak of Midnight Club: LA car additions/area addition.

However this isn't a horribly negative thing. Each bit of DLC that gets released ensures that someone is still looking at the performance of the game even after release (as DLC could cause any number of problems if there's a mistake in the code... just like a full game release).

So Publishers can't just release and ignore games like they're accustomed to doing. They'll have to start understanding how to troubleshoot effectively and actually fix problems with their games (like what the PC community has experienced for years).
    From one aspect that makes sense. They MAY catch something, but if something was wrong with the game, I would hope it wouldn't take the developers adding things to the game to find out. Something small that is easily missed or rare sure.

And I'm not sure, but I think you're confusing patches with DLC. Which are totally different.
    Last edited by Darkslide; 01-23-2009 at 09:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkslide View Post
    From one aspect that makes sense. They MAY catch something, but if something was wrong with the game, I would hope it wouldn't take the developers adding things to the game to find out. Something small that is easily missed or rare sure.

And I'm not sure, but I think you're confusing patches with DLC. Which are totally different.

No, I'm talking DLC. Patches are to fix problems and don't necessarily yield any new content. DLC is basically additional code, that adds some new feature. Whether it be a new game mode, a new costume, or entire levels. Just like any game code, if there's a flaw anywhere... it can cause errors. Some errors are negligible and others can literally break the game. So with DLC... every time it's released... the releasing company has to watch carefully to see if there's any such errors.

I mean.. they test ahead of time but there's no real way to test for every occurance.

Piss Peddler

No, I'm talking DLC. Patches are to fix problems and don't necessarily yield any new content. DLC is basically additional code, that adds some new feature. Whether it be a new game mode, a new costume, or entire levels. Just like any game code, if there's a flaw anywhere... it can cause errors. Some errors are negligible and others can literally break the game. So with DLC... every time it's released... the releasing company has to watch carefully to see if there's any such errors.

I mean.. they test ahead of time but there's no real way to test for every occurance.
    Burnout paradise has been doing crazy stuff with patches. (Yes theres DLC too but they've added alot with patches) Gears 1 patched in annex. I think TF2 on PC has patched new characters and maps. Really the only difference is whether your paying for it or not.

When adding dlc its not as tough a process as you would think most of the time. For Gears or any game using Unreal Engine 3 most of the code is done on the engines side; the developers are basically playing with a map creator like u see in Far Cry 2 and the Engine will compile the code for them.

Quote Originally Posted by Piss Peddler View Post
    Burnout paradise has been doing crazy stuff with patches. (Yes theres DLC too but they've added alot with patches) Gears 1 patched in annex. I think TF2 on PC has patched new characters and maps. Really the only difference is whether your paying for it or not.

When adding dlc its not as tough a process as you would think most of the time. For Gears or any game using Unreal Engine 3 most of the code is done on the engines side; the developers are basically playing with a map creator like u see in Far Cry 2 and the Engine will compile the code for them.
    Well... two things really. The term DLC is pretty much a console only term. In the PC Market whether it's a fix or an addition of content, it's always been referred to as a Patch. This includes user created content. So.. when I was talking about DLC v. Patch, I was referring specifically to consoles in that sense.

The other thing is... the portion of the statement that you emboldened specifically states that Patches don't always bring content (meaning sometimes they do). So yes, I'm aware that occasionally a Patch brings content... but clarifying it any more than I did would have only led to more confusion.

this is silly. carrer mode makes you "tony hawk" around all the time. why not offer people the option to explore on their own without having specific "challenges" to do....i think this is aimed at the community, not as an insult, but just an option.

but yes, it SHOULD be free (truthfully it almost is), but we're going to be seeing less and less "codes" and "cheats" in games to unlock big stuff. the contra code days were fun while they lasted.

Piss Peddler

Well... two things really. The term DLC is pretty much a console only term. In the PC Market whether it's a fix or an addition of content, it's always been referred to as a Patch. This includes user created content. So.. when I was talking about DLC v. Patch, I was referring specifically to consoles in that sense.

The other thing is... the portion of the statement that you emboldened specifically states that Patches don't always bring content (meaning sometimes they do). So yes, I'm aware that occasionally a Patch brings content... but clarifying it any more than I did would have only led to more confusion.
    I beg to differ on that point. User created content is usually called mods, bug fixes are patches, and new official content will be dlc or episodes.

The fact that i was trying to make is that it is possible to patch things that developers make dlc. Especially on PS3 which has no limit that i know of; of how big the file size of a patch can be. Developers/Publishers would just rather charge the shit out of the consumers who they just squeezed $60 out of. In my opinion Burnout Paradise and maybe Rock Band are the only 2 games that are using DLC properly.

paddyboy

Where's the sense of achievement in buying all the unlockables?

Don't people play games for the rewards any more?

that's the point...the sick world and skating are the rewards, finally gettin a perfect line...or a banger that took you many hours over weeks. not the unlockables like being able to skate with atiba....are you serious?

did you stop playing the first skate when the story was over? no....why didn't you stop if there was nothing more to be gained from the game?

either you get it or you don't.