Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
"I also wouldn't say that Pac was a lyricist either."

nevermind then, we have two completely different definitions of lyricist.

and just because you don't get his references, doesn't mean he isn't making them.

ps. those nas lyrics you quoted aren't that impressive, especially considering he had time to write them (it was an album track) and weezy writes his songs during the session a lot of the time (that song was a mixtape track). i also notice you didn't quote made you look.

"When I talk lyricists I'm talking about dudes who really work magic with the language. Metaphors, Similes, and Personification, all have to exceptional."

^^ this is why i think you either haven't heard much weezy other than radio, or you don't get what he's saying...because he's all of those.
Couple of points here. Mixtape or not, that's a written track. If you believe that artists actually put their "B" material on mixtapes or that the majority of these artists Freestyles are really completely spontaneous then you're clearly fooled.

A good artist will have prepared lines and entire verses committed to memory. That's not even including songs that were recorded for previous albums that didn't make the album cut. All it is, is a stockpile. So to say act like Wayne's mixtape tracks are any different than his album tracks is just plain wrong. All of them are written.

And as a sidenote... Mixtape Tracks usually contain the most quotable lines an artist puts out. Mixtapes are about showcasing skill while albums are about concept tracks.

That segment from Nas verse was loaded with more imagery and similes than that whole Wayne track. Remember nearly everything he states is what he's "like" just with repeating "Nas is like" before each comparison. So he's saying...

"Nas is like.. Earth Wind & Fire ( He's Classic/Legendary), rims and tires (He's Flossy/Expensive)
Bulletproof glass, inside is the realest driver ( He's Untouchable and Skilled)
Planets in orbit, line em up with the stars (He's one of the Greatest)
Tarot cards, you can see the pharaoh Nas (In the future He'll be King)
Nas is like.. Iron Mike (He's Dominant), messiah type
Before the Christ, after the death
The last one left,
" (He's a godsend that can never be stopped. He's a prophet)

Come on man.. this is no contest. Oh.. and you asked for a line from Made You Look.

" but don't say my car's topless, Say the titties is out"

Which is still better than everything in that Wayne track with a possible exception to the Hip Hop line.. but that REALLY depends on what you think about Wayne. I mean I could use the exact same line about a female that I think is useless and it would take on the completely opposite meaning. That's sloppy writing... so no he doesn't meet the requirements that I look for.

Oh.. and Pac wasn't a lyricist either. His strength was always in his emotion. He expressed himself in a way that was very relatable and touched many people. But he was not masterful with his words.

Please explain what it is I'm "missing" in these Wayne lines. Because at best all of his lines are either plain and obvious (ex. Horseshoe line), misguided (Kidney line), or don't make sense (Pistol to Holster line).