I am proud of anyone who takes positive activism into their own hands.

Every point made in here is valid; the classic 'glass half full' vs 'glass half empty' debate. I didn't hear about this on facebook yesterday as I had an unexpected work load but my friend showed me it today. My only take on this matter is to wonder how do we pick and choose which countries to help?

Somalia? (war ravaged)
Iran? (oppressive regime)
Haiti? (natural disasters and corruption)
Syria? (turn on your tv)

I live in Canada so thankfully our exposure to the global economic downturn was minimalized. If you live in the UK, US (or Greece), then I can understand why you'd want to focus on bringing your own countries back first before embarking to help others; that's one the reasons on airplanes the attendants always tell you to apply your own mask before assisting others with theirs in the event of an emergency . To make the greatest impact, you have to be on solid footing personally (as well as collectively) otherwise your efforts may be exploited or ineffective.

The 4 countries I listed are just the ones you hear about in the news in recent times. What about sweatshops in China? Sex trade in Eastern Europe? Caste system in India? Drug cartels in North America?

Many causes deserve our attention, so all I ask is that people find one that they can personally identify with and then please don't half ass your work.