Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

Scott and Jay own flickit
    not ea

also good luck
    Last edited by Permy; 11-29-2012 at 08:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Permy View Post
    not ea

also good luck
    I think you are correct, I have yet to get a response from EA regarding patent rights and so forth. I believe them to be the true owners of the rights. I'm having trouble getting in touch with either of these people, I sent out emails to all if not most of the main people who worked on skate. Months ago, and have to get a reply. These were the two people I feared talking to the most, but also had the most authority when it came to doing a new sim.
    So now that we know who owns the rights to flick it, and thank god it isn't EA, because lawyer advised me not to do business with any major corp. Like them. Because they'd attempt to sell the patent on a lease type offer, that would include them making money from the deal long after the deal had been made. (Which is what I would do as well) it is good business. Scott I believe is working on other titles at the moment. And I'm already at another roadblock. I'm working on getting in touch with lil' Wayne's people, and keeping the numbers handy in case it comes to that. Who knows, he may have an interest in not only the skateboarding aspect but also the music. The guy who did the music for 'this is my element', David 'odd nosdam friend of a friend, has agreed to contribute for free to any project.
    I'm going to regroup with myself this weekend. Get some more numbers, and try to not give up already. But finding out that EA does not own flick it ' has pretty much made this 70% more attemptable. I see this might actually pan out. It's a long shot, but damnit skateboarding culture is alive and it is innovative and cool.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.

dude,i love your enthusiasm for this and really wish you the best of luck.

Well, i wrote this long reply, but it vanished.

As far as a musical soundtrack, i know people aren't too fond of skating to hip hop, which is why I was replying with an idea for
    User generated radio stations, or the encouragment for players to use their own generated music.

The look and feel of s3 way not right. I agree. This will be addressed in a new game should it come to that.
    I would like to see a skateboarding sim that simulates skating in the real world.
    With a dirty, this is hard' kind of gameplay, it will be hard to do a tre flip in a real skateboard sim.
    Which is going to be an idea that has to evolve. If it ever makes it to that stage.
    It must, based on playability by all people who may want to pick it up. But at its core, must be a 'simulator' of real skateboarding
    Which takes patience and practice. We will see.

I have this idea, i will try to explain in simple terms.
    Most games have a camera system that allows for free adjustment (after)
    The fact gameplay.. I'm proposing a game that uses in game camera placement.
    Which will allow for a first person view, a fish eye, camera man style view while playing in real time.
    This could create problems but again if we get there, this is my contribution and is not a comprimise.

Lastely, this will have to be a small game. The map will not be huge, the feel not expansive.
    There cannot be professional skaters, given that I'm looking at a real budget of under
    5 million. That's being generous. I don't know yet. We will have a better picture soon.
    Perhaps after the first of Jan.

Keep some ideas coming. No pro skaters though, uless of course they don't mind not being paid
    Until after the royalties come. Haha.

How do you guys feel about the future, and current capability of the xbox360 motion capture?
    Is this idea, killed in a sense because of its limited use and accessibity? Basically I'm asking if using kinnect is completely out of the question. It would in some sense allow for more allocation of budget towards game design and not aquiring flick it.
    I'm pretty sure flickit is not a compromise either. You guys are partial to it. Correct?
    Side note, I am not raising money to acquire the technology, to pass it off as my own.
    It will remain the creation of those who made it.

I'm also going to proposing to skate stores the ability to promote in game, for the use of their merchandising in the game.
    Thats were money comes from. Selling out to active store. Haha. Oh well. The ability to go to an active shop in game and shop would be a dream of mine. Checking pop on a new board. Perhaps making the board shop the online lobby for players who conversing, and gearing up to film with each other.

I also have the idea of a sister game, that would solely be a park editor.
    Pure 100% content from second seperate title, that would allow you much better usage of game space
    For creating hyper realistic parks. That can upload into the skate game.
    I'm on my iPhone, so excuse my grammar issues, and un thought out ideas.

Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

water guns
    and animals

I want fucking animals

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I want fucking animals
    Regular animals aren't enough.

Anyway, I feel the kinect is a piece of crap that'll never work like it should.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Quote Originally Posted by Novel View Post
    I'm also going to proposing to skate stores the ability to promote in game, for the use of their merchandising in the game.
    Thats were money comes from. Selling out to active store. Haha. Oh well. The ability to go to an active shop in game and shop would be a dream of mine. Checking pop on a new board. Perhaps making the board shop the online lobby for players who conversing, and gearing up to film with each other.

I also have the idea of a sister game, that would solely be a park editor.
    Pure 100% content from second seperate title, that would allow you much better usage of game space
    For creating hyper realistic parks. That can upload into the skate game.
    I'm on my iPhone, so excuse my grammar issues, and un thought out ideas.
    Your posts are too long.

flatspots...
    delams..
    new stiff trucks...

all need to be added.

not ea

also good luck
    I was about to say this ^
    Hoodlum Family All Rights Reserved ™ ® & Copyright © 2007-2012
    "dude i didn't go hard on this video thats what my welcome is gonna be" -RaginWarHero

I must say that I am super impressed with the amount of support you are getting from the homies on this...makes me remember why i ruv fluckit good luck to you and if theres anything I/we can do, just let us know

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    Last edited by llamasrock; 12-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llamasrock View Post

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    exactly.

Bethesda did the same approach with skyrim and fallout. They are super open source. and think how much easier it would be to make vids. No need to uplaod to the site, then download. Just generate the footage right to your harddrive.

Make that possible on the console systems too. so people can just transfer it to their computer with a usb stick. Its a worth while thing to do. Even if the server ever die we could still make vids. and it would free up a lot of server bandwidth use.

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    Hoodlum: Threat

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Quote Originally Posted by SeksulChokolate View Post
    There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    this is so on point...

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Sigh.

I encourage the enthusiasm, but the approach to this is all wrong. Your best bet would be to get a Kickstarter going, but in order for this to happen someone will have to do a shit-tonne of work to even get a simple budget/business plan going. On average a game takes 5 years from conception to market, and that's if you're building everything from the ground up. If you have an actual working engine up and running cut about 1 year off that plan. If you have assets up and running deduct an additional 6 months to a year. Don't even get me started on modelling and physics, both of which are very time and money consuming.

Let's say you get the $5 million in funding. Who's building the game? Are you infringing on any proprietary rights? Who gets to keep the profits?

Everyone says fuck EA but goddamn, they're a business. Why did the Skate series get killed? Not nearly enough return on investment. Whomever invests the $5 million will want their money back, with profits on top. Where will this revenue be generated?

Not dissing the plan, just totally dissing the plan.