Thread: Lil Wayne's New Single

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

im leaving this thread because it's just a weezy bash fest.

even with the amount of music he has, he's still on average better than everyone you've listed.

top 3:

Hova
    Em
    Weezy

put all those "underground for a reason" artists somewhere in the late hundreds, capiche hater?

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    im leaving this thread because it's just a weezy bash fest.

even with the amount of music he has, he's still on average better than everyone you've listed.

top 3:

Hova
    Em
    Weezy

put all those "underground for a reason" artists somewhere in the late hundreds, capiche hater?

There IS a reason these artists are Underground. It's to make more profit off of their music. That's why the real money comes from Writing and Producing. Even owning a label doesn't make you all that much money.

You know how much profit you lose just in packaging alone? Keep it small and independent and the profit jumps exponentially.

But it's cool. At least mainstream labels can afford better videos with more rented sports cars and choreographed back up dancers.

kaneland14

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    There IS a reason these artists are Underground. It's to make more profit off of their music. That's why the real money comes from Writing and Producing. Even owning a label doesn't make you all that much money.

You know how much profit you lose just in packaging alone? Keep it small and independent and the profit jumps exponentially.

But it's cool. At least mainstream labels can afford better videos with more rented sports cars and choreographed back up dancers.

you just contradicted yourself

you said that underground makes more money, but then you said the mainstream can afford better vids with rented cars and back up dancers, which is it

yeah, kane. he did contradict himself. i stopped reading what he wrote when he quoted "don't say my cars topless say the titties is out"....that's just bad rap.
    nas has no charisma on the mic. he's overrated....just like guru and mcs like that.

not to mention, everyone knows the money is in touring. and you can't pretend underground artists make more doing shows.

kaneland14

how come you can never have a calm and civil discussion on the internet, people ruin it sometimes

Quote Originally Posted by kaneland14 View Post
    you just contradicted yourself

you said that underground makes more money, but then you said the mainstream can afford better vids with rented cars and back up dancers, which is it
    No... I said the ARTISTS make more money. As in an "Underground" Independent Artist is making a much higher profit percentage than a Major Label Artist. Which is why the most paid Mainstream personalities are... once again... Writers and Producers. Neo makes more money than Weezy probably ever will because he writes songs for himself and tons of other artists. So not only does he get paid an intial fee to write the song... he gets a piece of every dollar they make on that record. Same with producers.

And....

The Artist on a Major doesn't pay for the Video to be made. The LABEL does. Hence being able to afford the use of HD Camera's, Rented Sports Cars, extensive lighting (sometimes pyro.. though that's usually Diddy), these big name directors and sometimes even celebrity cameos.

So what I said was the Underground Artist makes more money than the Major Label Artist. However the Major Label Artist gets the flashy videos because he's got a Major Label to foot the bill.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    yeah, kane. he did contradict himself. i stopped reading what he wrote when he quoted "don't say my cars topless say the titties is out"....that's just bad rap.
    nas has no charisma on the mic. he's overrated....just like guru and mcs like that.

not to mention, everyone knows the money is in touring. and you can't pretend underground artists make more doing shows.
    Underground Artists tend to tour much more than Major Label artists... at least in Hip Hop. And it's true, a Major Label artist makes most of their money on tour but that's why Major's try to make them pump out an Album a year (as the Label gets their money from albums).

There's always an exception to the rule though. For example, I doubt Diddy does many tours at all. As well as internet legend and "underground" emcee Benefit doesn't tour at all either. I'm not even sure if he does shows.

The bottom line is many Underground acts sell just as many records as acts you hear on the radio. But since they're not attached to a major they spend way less money on staff. Since they don't usually play huge arenas, they spend less on equipment. The downside to this though is they're usually way less marketable.

I doubt you'll see a Slug T-shirt company or El-P Denim anytime soon. So while an Artist like Wayne may make less a record... his fame can be utilized in other ways, supplementing his income.

That's why dudes who's careers have made them unmarketable (Dipset, Buddens, Royce 5'9'', etc...) but still sell a good amount of records are going Independent. They're negotiating better deals for themselves in terms of $ per Record and don't incur unwanted costs having to pay for Staff and Equipment they may not want or need.

I.E. They make more off their music.

Banned

But Eminem is better than everyone.

No argument, game over, he wins you lose.

His garbage is better than your favorite rappers best selling song.

I will walk out now

craz

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    No... I said the ARTISTS make more money. As in an "Underground" Independent Artist is making a much higher profit percentage than a Major Label Artist. Which is why the most paid Mainstream personalities are... once again... Writers and Producers. Neo makes more money than Weezy probably ever will because he writes songs for himself and tons of other artists. So not only does he get paid an intial fee to write the song... he gets a piece of every dollar they make on that record. Same with producers.

And....

The Artist on a Major doesn't pay for the Video to be made. The LABEL does. Hence being able to afford the use of HD Camera's, Rented Sports Cars, extensive lighting (sometimes pyro.. though that's usually Diddy), these big name directors and sometimes even celebrity cameos.

So what I said was the Underground Artist makes more money than the Major Label Artist. However the Major Label Artist gets the flashy videos because he's got a Major Label to foot the bill.

Underground Artists tend to tour much more than Major Label artists... at least in Hip Hop. And it's true, a Major Label artist makes most of their money on tour but that's why Major's try to make them pump out an Album a year (as the Label gets their money from albums).

There's always an exception to the rule though. For example, I doubt Diddy does many tours at all. As well as internet legend and "underground" emcee Benefit doesn't tour at all either. I'm not even sure if he does shows.

The bottom line is many Underground acts sell just as many records as acts you hear on the radio. But since they're not attached to a major they spend way less money on staff. Since they don't usually play huge arenas, they spend less on equipment. The downside to this though is they're usually way less marketable.

I doubt you'll see a Slug T-shirt company or El-P Denim anytime soon. So while an Artist like Wayne may make less a record... his fame can be utilized in other ways, supplementing his income.

That's why dudes who's careers have made them unmarketable (Dipset, Buddens, Royce 5'9'', etc...) but still sell a good amount of records are going Independent. They're negotiating better deals for themselves in terms of $ per Record and don't incur unwanted costs having to pay for Staff and Equipment they may not want or need.

I.E. They make more off their music.

Fucking killed it on most parts. Most of the 'underground' acts are just seen as unmarketable by major labels due to their image (EX: Tech N9ne), lyrics (EX:Aesop Rock), or the artist just doesn't want to become part of a major label (IIRC, Copywrite won a battle contest hosted by Def Jam years back but took the money and turned down the deal). And lets face it, major labels are looking for someone to make them a quick buck first and a series of ablums second. They look for people who have a 'fresh' look, a marketable gimmick, new slang, ect ect. Then after they found someone they can market, they throw them with a team who is going to push them in a direction that will make them sell to the masses. Change in lyrics, looks, flow, style, ect ect. At the end of the day, there are VERY few rappers in today's time that rap the way they want to in mainstream media. Also mind you all, that major music labels follow news production/reporting when it comes to content, keeping it at a 6th grade comprehension level.

cutie3334

its just ur preferance i guess lol

Get Stoked

There's no banjo...

it sucks.

I'm all about some Deltron 3030.

BTW everyone, quit arguing or I will become Get Choked.

Quote Originally Posted by Get Stoked View Post
    There's no Banjo...

it sucks.
    May I steal that Stoked? It'd make a boss T-shirt.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Get Stoked

Yeah, take it, haha.

wow this seems to be a hot topic lol

I like lil waynes older stuff like fireman, and go dj but his new stuff id kind of waht greenday did with their american idiot album in becoming sell outs, before i get slated all the artists mentioned on this thread i like, i have a very varied taste in music from the game, xzibit to slayer and chimera lol anywho im off to play skate. c ya

k3v1n

switch showed me this song the other day, and i was pretty pissed.
    Frankly, I won't listen to any hip hop + rock beat unless it's a jay-z mashup.

Wayne definitely has some songs that are great, and everyone who says otherwise
    clearly only gets their opinion from his radio songs, which I agree to an extent are pretty bad.

If you go away from his more publicized stuff however, you'll here some really deep,
    meaningful shit come from Wayne, and it sounds a lot better than anything Nas or any other "deep" rap artist out there.

Who judges hip hop on the lyrics anyway? If you're looking for a good written song
    listen to rap (which is a TOTALLY different genre if you ask me). Hip hop is all about the beat.

ChvyVele

Quote Originally Posted by k3v1n View Post
    Wayne definitely has some songs that are great, and everyone who says otherwise
    clearly only gets their opinion from his radio songs, which I agree to an extent are pretty bad.
    Definitely not true. My older brother is a huge Wayne fan, so I've heard so many of his songs. That means songs off of his albums, mixtapes, everything. Still not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneland14 View Post
    i read somewhere that they are kinda a series, before i self destruct is gonna be released first, then relapse, then detox, is this true, it would kinda make sense because aren't they all on the same label and also, it would kinda make sense with the names of the albums that they would kinda go togehter
    Yup. They're supposedly a themed release. That's actually the biggest reason behind the most recent delays. Technically they're not the same label but in reality... yeah it's the same people behind all three projects.

Quote Originally Posted by k3v1n View Post
    Who judges hip hop on the lyrics anyway? If you're looking for a good written song
    listen to rap (which is a TOTALLY different genre if you ask me). Hip hop is all about the beat.
    Unless you're being sarcastic... I think you've got your genre's switched there.

Wow ! 129 replys on this topic!!!!!!