Thread: Skate 4

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TheDietTea

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    You're thinking of Firefight I believe. Also THUG 2 had projectiles in some of the stages, so eh.
    I'm with Derk though, an HD reboot is *definitely* fair to start assumptions over, because that's 100% a test to see how well they can maintain the feel of Tony Hawk games of the past. They were literally handed level design and assets from the old games, and then fucked up the only thing they had left to do themselves: the physics. That's the single most important thing in any skateboarding game, arcade or simulator alike. If they can't get that right, there's no reason to trust them on anything else. Not to mention they also did Ride which was an absolute nightmare, and then decided to bother with a sequel that was literally no better than the first.
    See what you're saying, just don't know that I've seen an HD reboot with a significant change in how the game plays. Can you mention any off the top of your head? From what I've seen developers tend to just make the game look better, don't really tweak the play to a noticeable extent. Nostalgia being the main reasoning. Can't vouch for ride, interesting to know they were the team for that.
    If you think about it though, these days the future of development comes down to a simple question.
    Is it on last gen consoles? Even high up developers today dumb down the possibilities by making a last gen version and porting over to current gen, maybe adding more visual detail but for the most part not really pushing it. That being said maybe I have given some leeway where it shouldn't be.
    I don't imagine it will be a current gen exclusive, so there's our answer for graphics. It won't be anything like skate so there's gameplay. I will always long for something even remotely similar to skate's controls, but sticking to the past as they say, Expect some arcade shit. Doesn't mean we can't find use in it though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
    only acceptable combo of skateboarding and projectiles are a future skate-plugin for gta
    Hmm.. Hum.. Hmm..

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    See what you're saying, just don't know that I've seen an HD reboot with a significant change in how the game plays. Can you mention any off the top of your head?
    You're thinking of re-releases. This was a reboot, the game was rebuilt using old designs and the IP, what you're thinking of is HD re-releases where they beef up the textures and maybe fix up a few models. THPS HD was a ground-up rebuilding using the level designs and intellectual properties of the THPS games of the past. The problem is, they did it poorly. The physics were really bad compared to older tony hawk games, and the game felt really trashy in comparison.

The problem with Robomodo is that they're going about these games the wrong way. Tony Hawk Pro Skater was a labor of love to skateboarding, but it wasn't really a skateboarding game. It was an arcade platformer with a skateboarding theme. Robomodo is trying to make arcade skateboarding games with a video game "theme," leading to awkward gameplay physics, a lack of focus, and instead on trying to go back to basics, they worry about shit like powerups to make up for it. I honestly can't blame them for trying with THPSHD, it's clear that there was effort put into it, it just wasn't good.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

...it's clear that there was effort put into it, it just wasn't good.

THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID

Luft couldn't have summed it up any better, if I wasn't a moron when it came to explaining, it would have been completely identical to what he said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Feel free to quote or paraphrase any info from the Cuz article. But if it gets published on YT as "Albert's Interview With Cuz" I will be so fucking mad that I will return to this thread and express disapproval. I swear to god I'll fucking do it. Don't test me.
    Last edited by BladderBoy; 05-26-2015 at 12:23 AM.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

cuz is too cool

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

XBL
    TheDietTea

Oh yeah, been a while for me. Not sure if it was directed to me but would still like to read again.
    Someone link me? If it's really that big of a deal we should just private message eachother about things like that.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Oh yeah, been a while for me. Not sure if it was directed to me but would still like to read again.
    Someone link me? If it's really that big of a deal we should just private message eachother about things like that.
    First Page.... it was directed to Coast...... but Ill just relink it for you anyways

http://issuu.com/bladderboy/docs/likebuttermag07

Page 66

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

this thread is tldr. i want to but dont have the patients. maybe one day

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

XBL
    TheDietTea

I don't see what the big deal is haha.
    Skate is skate.. Talk of the current games or skate 4.
    I just wondered where you all saw skate going next if it were continued (tomorrow)
    It was just general curiosity and I thought those things would be interesting to think about.
    They are for me anyways.
    How can you want a skate sim if you don't know what skate sim you want?

Sorry to derail the thread, but does anyone know if the Streets of San Fransisco park on page 75 of that magazine is still available? It looks amazing!

XBL
    TheDietTea

You're thinking of re-releases. This was a reboot, the game was rebuilt using old designs and the IP, what you're thinking of is HD re-releases where they beef up the textures and maybe fix up a few models. THPS HD was a ground-up rebuilding using the level designs and intellectual properties of the THPS games of the past. The problem is, they did it poorly. The physics were really bad compared to older tony hawk games, and the game felt really trashy in comparison.

The problem with Robomodo is that they're going about these games the wrong way. Tony Hawk Pro Skater was a labor of love to skateboarding, but it wasn't really a skateboarding game. It was an arcade platformer with a skateboarding theme. Robomodo is trying to make arcade skateboarding games with a video game "theme," leading to awkward gameplay physics, a lack of focus, and instead on trying to go back to basics, they worry about shit like powerups to make up for it. I honestly can't blame them for trying with THPSHD, it's clear that there was effort put into it, it just wasn't good.
    Ok, that makes sense. Fair enough.
    You know just a couple of years ago Tony Hawk's Pro skater was the simulation skateboarding game.
    I think our views have shifted from what it is to what it isn't.
    It was one the reasons I started skating in real life.
    Motion captured animations, free play, there's still a certain freedom in how you play the game. All of these games out today have some sort of restriction but it really boils down to how you use that freedom to make things you like possible, you often find things you didn't know you would like too.
    This is why I'm so drawn to skateboarding games, it's so much like skating it's insane.
    Control scheme, physics, all debatable personal preference based on current technology.
    Granted it might be the old fanboy in me but I believe that using what you have still holds true.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Ok, that makes sense. Fair enough.
    You know just a couple of years ago Tony Hawk's Pro skater was the simulation skateboarding game.
    I think our views have shifted from what it is to what it isn't.
    It was one the reasons I started skating in real life.
    Motion captured animations, free play, there's still a certain freedom in how you play the game. All of these games out today have some sort of restriction but it really boils down to how you use that freedom to make things you like possible, you often find things you didn't know you would like too.
    This is why I'm so drawn to skateboarding games, it's so much like skating it's insane.
    Control scheme, physics, all debatable personal preference based on current technology.
    Granted it might be the old fanboy in me but I believe that using what you have still holds true.
    Yea, using what you have is good and well, but the argument here is that Robomodo isn't gonna make anything better than what we have. If you want Tony Hawk style gameplay, THUG Pro (thanks for mentioning it Derk, it's killer) is probably the best thing out there (and even without mods, every TH game except for Ride and Shred are better than HD if you ask me), and there's no real reason to believe Robomodo is going to do better with THPS5. If you want real sim stuff to work with, well, we still have the 3 Skate games to work with. I'd *like* to be proven wrong by Robomodo and get another actually good THPS game, I just don't expect it, and it's a valid complaint when a sequel isn't expected to be as good as its predecessors.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Seeing the Light
    Steam
    joemartian

(My thoughts, fight me later at the playground after school if you disagree, unless you're a L7 Weenie!)...

Late to the discussion, but yea EA Skate 4 is not going to happen.

I feel that EA doesn't even support EA Skate franchise anymore because of their big marketing games (Battlefield and upcoming Star Wars BattleFront), and if they did, we would've gotten an EA Skate game by 2012 or even 2011.

What most people from the YouTube side of ea skate community are not understanding that EA needs developers to create games. Even though EA could've easily hire people to create another EA Skate game, but didn't and want to focus on other games that have bigger names. Yea we can have big names out there to send a message to EA, but no luck and it's all in EA to do whatever they want to do. I personally don't care and if they did make another ea skate game, cool I'll play it.

It would be a huge turn around if EA relaunched the EA Skate community website, not likely going to happened.

If EA were to make another skateboarding, guarantee it won't be like the EA Skate Franchise, or who knows. Does EA even own the rights for stick controls of skateboarding lol?

In other words, I don't care if a skate 4 is going to happen (not likely) it's whatever EA decides to do with EA Skate. I stopped playing it because I honestly felt bored of it and want to play new games that I can actually have fun in (personal opinion, fight me.) I just want to play THPS 5 and feel nostalgic while playing it and 100% that bitch!

Blazing a Trail
    Steam
    Eastcoastskateboard1
    PSN
    anderson347
    XBL
    CoastSkates

No joemar I heard someone else had the license for the flick it controls.
    L8 Media

Team Avid

PSN
    RadishRanger

I don't know what to say anymore... I never trust anything from his mouth...
    "A bitch is a bitch is a bitch" - Ernest Hemingway, the OG 1940's gangsta