Thread: "Almost every comment on EA's Instagram is "Skate 4""

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TheDietTea

I really did like what blackbox was doing and even when the game was completely unrealistic it still fed my need to skate.
    Part of me does wonder what might've happened if someone else was driving though.
    The blackbox team doesn't have any members as of now and before then it had less than when it was first put together.
    A new team sounds the most likely to me if the series were to ever make a comeback.
    Seeing how it's on EA and well, I could be wrong but don't picture them buddying up with who they already put out of jobs.
    Last edited by Antwan; 02-12-2016 at 12:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Seeing how it's on EA and well, I could be wrong but don't picture them buddying up with who they already put out of jobs.
    no shit. that's why fuck ea. if they DO put out a skate 4 (which i think is less likely than a new Thrasher coming out) it will be aimed at the tony hawk market because realistic skating games don't sell well enough to put money and resources into. why would they bother when they can churn out another game with easy controls that people already know how to play and a game framework that's based on the standard accruing of points? people need to be rewarded with something and pulling off nice tricks doesn't satisfy that need for most people, and the harder it is to earn retarded amounts of points, through an exploitable game mechanic or just a formulaic strategy of play, the less people like the game.

XBL
    TheDietTea

I mean, anyone know the numbers for sales on tony hawk anyway?
    I didn't think it did well as it had some people who bought it saying how bad it was.

I just can't imagine skate coming back and me hating it..
    It would take some pretty hard work to ruin what blackbox already laid down.
    Awesome control scheme, Difficulties to play with, props, park editor, custom graphics.
    If it comes back make them build on that. I wouldn't care what the city was like if it meant something even close to a skate 4 ya know?

Interested in theories though..
    If a new team took on skate, where would they go?
    What would blackbox have done next?
    I can't answer for either without making assumptions.

oh and, speaking of EA sports, I don't know if you guys have seen NBA Live but it plays pretty realistically.
    Golf is pretty realistic too, I don't know why you assumed they would create a tony hawk game when tony hawk ain't doin shit.
    Hell I remember Cuz saying They were tasked with making a Tony Hawk Killer. So it would need to be better than it.
    Last edited by Antwan; 02-13-2016 at 05:01 PM.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I mean, anyone know the numbers for sales on tony hawk anyway?
    I didn't think it did well as it had some people who bought it saying how bad it was.

I just can't imagine skate coming back and me hating it..
    It would take some pretty hard work to ruin what blackbox already laid down.
    Awesome control scheme, Difficulties to play with, props, park editor, custom graphics.
    If it comes back make them build on that. I wouldn't care what the city was like if it meant something even close to a skate 4 ya know?

Interested in theories though..
    If a new team took on skate, where would they go?
    What would blackbox have done next?
    I can't answer for either without making assumptions.

oh and, speaking of EA sports, I don't know if you guys have seen NBA Live but it plays pretty realistically.
    Golf is pretty realistic too, I don't know why you assumed they would create a tony hawk game when tony hawk ain't doin shit.
    Hell I remember Cuz saying They were tasked with making a Tony Hawk Killer. So it would need to be better than it.
    Sorry bud, but NBA Live is pretty trash. You can score every rush by just walking into the paint. There's a reason 2K is focusing so much on NBA, they're actually stomping EA on a sports game. Live just looks visually better because EA's budget is absolutely unreal.

The last couple PGA games were some of the worst in *years* for EA, too.

That being said, there's no denying that if it weren't for Hardcore mode, Skate 3 would be indisputably more arcadey bullshit (hell, look at how stupid the map is half the time), and I fear if they tried to push the franchise further it'd just go off the deep end on that route.
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 02-14-2016 at 09:03 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

XBL
    TheDietTea

Anyone can score easily if they know the game, 2K is just as easy to manipulate.. but now that I think about it again, why even assume EA Sports would take it on and not another team like Blackbox?
    I guess EA Sports could try to make it more official, in turn making it into something way less about skateboarding. What I picture is something along the lines of an X Games Skateboarding Game.
    Just thinking that because I don't know if I've ever seen EA Sports take on "unofficial" sports.
    Part of me wonders if that's why Blackbox was even put on in the first place..
    Oh, so it's got some X Games elements to it? Okay, that's a real competitive sport, lets try it.

Anyone can score easily if they know the game, 2K is just as easy to manipulate.. but now that I think about it again, why even assume EA Sports would take it on and not another team like Blackbox?
    I guess EA Sports could try to make it more official, in turn making it into something way less about skateboarding. What I picture is something along the lines of an X Games Skateboarding Game.
    Just thinking that because I don't know if I've ever seen EA Sports take on "unofficial" sports.
    Part of me wonders if that's why Blackbox was even put on in the first place..
    Oh, so it's got some X Games elements to it? Okay, that's a real competitive sport, lets try it.
    because teams like Blackbox are rare. what do you think the chances are of EA having a game development team just lying around that also happens to have a deep passion for skating and would put their hearts in it because they love it? probably the same chance that kanye has of making a decent game, lol. ain't gonna happen. we lucked out with the 3 skate games. we're extremely lucky we even got the third. EA doesn't care about niche market products so they won't make sure it gets handled by the proper folks. they'll just throw whatever team in their roster ain't busy on it and it'll be like robomodo taking over thps. distasteful and disrespectful to the beautiful games blackbox gave us. it's better it doesn't happen.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 02-15-2016 at 08:50 AM.

Seeing the Light
    Steam
    joemartian

All we can do is hope for the best I suppose. It's EA's call at this point, their community has already played their part making this out cry.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    because teams like Blackbox are rare. what do you think the chances are of EA having a game development team just lying around that also happens to have a deep passion for skating and would put their hearts in it because they love it? probably the same chance that kanye has of making a decent game, lol. ain't gonna happen. we lucked out with the 3 skate games. we're extremely lucky we even got the third. EA doesn't care about niche market products so they won't make sure it gets handled by the proper folks. they'll just throw whatever team in their roster ain't busy on it and it'll be like robomodo taking over thps. distasteful and disrespectful to the beautiful games blackbox gave us. it's better it doesn't happen.

Stop making Black Box the almighty, unreplaceable crew you make it out to have been. Alright, i agree they did a great job, but it was not perfect. the key feature from the Skate series is the flick-it controls. Im not sure if this originated at Black Box or somewhere else, but its clear that was what made the games what they was. The games/challenges ingame, and the city, and the people in game, everything is pretty mediocre. we only love it because of the flick it controls, and the fact that there have never been anything to compare it to. im sure other devs could make just as good games as the skate series, as the gameplay with flickit is what you make it. doesnt matter if the games are based around Hall of meat or stringing up points or whatever. if you want to play it your way, go ahead. all we need is a new city, and some flickit gameplay. Black box is def not needed for that.