Thread: EA Skate Speculation Leading into to E3

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The cameras in that pic are from a photogrammetry rig - used for making photoreal 3d models of people, or anything else. Maybe he posted it because he's a photo nerd looking at hi-tech photo gear. Or maybe he's getting scanned for an S4 promo. Maybe he's directing a shoot. Who knows. It's pretty clear to me though, that those aren't Atiba's cameras, but rather a scanning rig in a studio.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

XBL
    dudren42

I'll bet that if skate 4 actually is released, it will come with micro-transactions for your equipment, like paying a few cents for a deck or some clothes. quote me on this

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by dudren View Post
    I'll bet that if skate 4 actually is released, it will come with micro-transactions for your equipment, like paying a few cents for a deck or some clothes. quote me on this
    This was the original struggle and ultimately why EA could not afford to keep making Skate games.

A lot of us have racked our brains trying to think of ways that people would spend money in-game. The problem with buying decks and clothes is that ultimately, EA is licensing those brands and it costs EA money to do that so the profit-margin is minimal. I think that's why that didn't work.

I've yet to hear a legitimately good idea for implementing micro-transactions in the game. I'm someone who bought keys in Rocket League and packs in Fifa Ultimate Team. I'd TOTALLY spend money in Skate games but I just can't figure out a product that's both simple enough to make and be profitable for EA and good enough to actually be sought after by players.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post
    This was the original struggle and ultimately why EA could not afford to keep making Skate games.

A lot of us have racked our brains trying to think of ways that people would spend money in-game. The problem with buying decks and clothes is that ultimately, EA is licensing those brands and it costs EA money to do that so the profit-margin is minimal. I think that's why that didn't work.

I've yet to hear a legitimately good idea for implementing micro-transactions in the game. I'm someone who bought keys in Rocket League and packs in Fifa Ultimate Team. I'd TOTALLY spend money in Skate games but I just can't figure out a product that's both simple enough to make and be profitable for EA and good enough to actually be sought after by players.

The only thing i can think of is like csgo style loot boxes. Where the community design decks,griptape,wheels etc and EA picks some and puts them into a crate. Have a new crate every 3 months or something but keep the free ones too.
    Last edited by Reserrved; 06-08-2018 at 08:49 PM.

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

He took that photo off of his instagram?
    Last edited by momadaddy; 06-08-2018 at 10:54 PM.

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

as long as microtransactions aren't like pay 5$ to crook easier then i'm fine. cosmetic only
    sorry

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    He took that photo off of his instagram?
    It was on his story, so it disappeared after 24 hours. There may have been a couple more, but this one is in front of the cameras so everyone freaked over it I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by iamjoshk View Post
    Remastering maps takes a lottttt of work and maps of those size take a long time as well just due to them being one giant continuation unlike skate 3 which broke it down to three smaller maps which they did to cut costs or that’s what Cuz was telling people, but that dude got fired so who knows hahah. All I know is I hope they focus on what skate was built on not what skate 3 was built on.
    Skate 3 was broken up into 3 parts with different teams in the office working on each section. So someone working on the Industrial section, didn't have much say in the overall design in the Downtown section. That's how they have a different aesthetic.
    Cuz never got fired. He quit because everyone knew the Blackbox team was disbanding after Skate 3, and he found another game studio to work at.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post

EA never paid to license the brands in the game. It was basically a handshake deal acknowledging that by putting the brands in the game for free, the skate companies are getting a lot of free exposure. That's why you don't see Skull Skates in the game. Some of the producers wanted Skull in the game, but Skull said "F U. If you want my brand, pay me." And so they didn't pay.
    Anyway, I'm still crossing my finger that 4 is in development, or we get a 1-3 remaster pack.

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by kellylitz View Post
    Skate 3 was broken up into 3 parts with different teams in the office working on each section. So someone working on the Industrial section, didn't have much say in the overall design in the Downtown section. That's how they have a different aesthetic.
    Cuz never got fired. He quit because everyone knew the Blackbox team was disbanding after Skate 3, and he found another game studio to work at.

EA never paid to license the brands in the game. It was basically a handshake deal acknowledging that by putting the brands in the game for free, the skate companies are getting a lot of free exposure. That's why you don't see Skull Skates in the game. Some of the producers wanted Skull in the game, but Skull said "F U. If you want my brand, pay me." And so they didn't pay.
    Anyway, I'm still crossing my finger that 4 is in development, or we get a 1-3 remaster pack.
    Nice! That’s pretty legit. Shame Skull wasnt in, but I’d have put money on that being the response.

I wonder if there becomes some issue of selling “packs” or whatever of those brand’s products for profit that those brands aren’t seeing, if that were to be a way of monetization.

A remaster would be nice, or something that let me play the Skate 2 map with the features of Skate 3. The fact that 3's map was broken down into 3 separate teams is painfully clear when you play the game, and I still think the game is missing a lot of the intimate small, realistic spots that you could find throughout the map in 1 and 2.

The entire direction of Skate 3 feels like they relied to heavily on the concept that they advertised in the early trailers, online multiplayer, with these super huge highway sized spots so everyone has space to hit a trick simultaneously. That may have sounded nice on paper but it's not what I play Skate for.
    I wanna be the life of the search party.

XBL
    Stokenstein

PlayStation France posted this yesterday: https://twitter.com/PlayStationFR/st...341069312?s=20

Assuming it’s nothing but coincidence. Boy have we gotten jerked around this year. haha

XBL
    Stokenstein

Quote Originally Posted by BladderBoy View Post
    The cameras in that pic are from a photogrammetry rig - used for making photoreal 3d models of people, or anything else. Maybe he posted it because he's a photo nerd looking at hi-tech photo gear. Or maybe he's getting scanned for an S4 promo. Maybe he's directing a shoot. Who knows. It's pretty clear to me though, that those aren't Atiba's cameras, but rather a scanning rig in a studio.
    Exactly. That's what I was getting towards. Atiba, if you look at his Instagram, it's pretty clear he shoots a lot of lifestyle stuff and studio stuff of basketball players. He lives in LA and I don't think it's farfetched for him to be directing / working on shoots in Redwood for NBA games or whatever. I certainly don't see it as a definitive sign Skate 4 is imminent. I find it hard to believe if they were bringing in pros and shit we wouldn't be hearing about it, the skate industry is not one that can keep a secret very well.