Thread: On a Roll (next-gen rollerblading game) Kickstarter is up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TheDietTea

Right on.
    I didn't mean the game in its entirety.
    A demo is usually a small portion, area or mission from the game.
    Taking years to release a demo on a 50,000 dollar budget sounds crazy to me though.
    This may be my own personal beef with the way it works.
    General lack of knowledge about the process maybe, but it is interesting.
    So what are you saying, they complete the game then give you a portion in demo form?
    A demo.. Which will likely need more done based on feedback.
    I get that you need something playable but nothing else is to be seen but this fabled demo.
    So it kind of is what you're paying for especially if they say they can stop making it whenever they please.
    The assumption is youll recieve a game out of it?

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Right on.
    I didn't mean the game in its entirety.
    A demo is usually a small portion, area or mission from the game.
    Taking years to release a demo on a 50,000 dollar budget sounds crazy to me though.
    This may be my own personal beef with the way it works.
    General lack of knowledge about the process maybe, but it is interesting.
    So what are you saying, they complete the game then give you a portion in demo form?
    A demo.. Which will likely need more done based on feedback.
    I get that you need something playable but nothing else is to be seen but this fabled demo.
    So it kind of is what you're paying for especially if they say they can stop making it whenever they please.
    The assumption is youll recieve a game out of it?
    No no no, if they get the 50,000 dollars they need to *finish the game properly* you get the demo that they currently have IMMEDIATELY to give them feedback while they work on it! The 50,000 is for them to finish the game in a reasonable time frame, the demo is what they have *right now* to give to backers for feedback if they know they got the funding
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

I've been summoned?

backed this day one, duh.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    TheDietTea

Haha..
    Got it. It's not anything I've ever looked into or heard about so I was just curious.
    I have however seen developers release demos after a games release.
    After that demos started to cease being made, atleast on last gen.
    I guess I was relating it to the console side there.
    It looks like The trial versions of digital games are the new demos and seem to exist just to make you buy the game.
    You can't really give feedback on the trial version. Kinda crazy what it's become.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Haha..
    Got it. It's not anything I've ever looked into or heard about so I was just curious.
    I have however seen developers release demos after a games release.
    After that demos started to cease being made, atleast on last gen.
    I guess I was relating it to the console side there.
    It looks like The trial versions of digital games are the new demos and seem to exist just to make you buy the game.
    You can't really give feedback on the trial version. Kinda crazy what it's become.
    The problem is you are console gaming. Early access like this is the norm on PC. SNOW is a good example. Skiiing game, ala skate, and i've had it on early access for over a year (I think Luft told me about it). There's a forum on steam for it, people give input and the game is updated and improved on a regular basis. "The Golf Club" was the same way, years before it ever released on console.

This is what's happening here. I'm backing it the same way i would buy and early access copy on Steam. I support it, give input, and receive (usually) a copy for free or a discounted rate at the end of early access.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    The problem is you are console gaming. Early access like this is the norm on PC. SNOW is a good example. Skiiing game, ala skate, and i've had it on early access for over a year (I think Luft told me about it). There's a forum on steam for it, people give input and the game is updated and improved on a regular basis. "The Golf Club" was the same way, years before it ever released on console.

This is what's happening here. I'm backing it the same way i would buy and early access copy on Steam. I support it, give input, and receive (usually) a copy for free or a discounted rate at the end of early access.
    Yep, this is pretty much it right on the head. PC gaming is a different beast from console, because PC allows the Early Access model to be used properly (and improperly in unfortunate circumstances). Many, many, many PC games nowadays use the early access model to allow people to buy their game early (at a lower price) and help them improve the game as it develops, so that they have more input and more feedback to make the game more satisfactory to the people playing it.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

i like Airborne with seth green and jack black. it's a movie.

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 06-04-2015 at 01:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post

on topic: also the ability to get a demo functioning and released to the public takes so long on consoles that it isn't feasible for this type of job. they'd make a build, a few weeks later we'd get that build on live or psn, then play and give feedback for a week, then wait for them to work on it and put it through the ms/sony process and bam, we'd be getting a new build every month compared to daily builds on pc. it's a frustrating, slow workflow that wouldn't be useful at all.
    Probably less than that I was reading somewhere that the cost just to put something to cert is around $10k
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    Devils Backbone Baby