Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fallout 4 (SPOILERS THREAD)

Default Fallout 4 (SPOILERS THREAD)

Since Emmit made the non-spoiler thread, just wanted to create this for us all to talk about, that can include spoilers.
    Discussing this game with you guys and all you've experienced so far is always fun to read, not to mention you can add tips for others as well.

Discussion

What companion have you guys gone with? Or are you just playing it solo? I'm traveling with Cait now, since I wasn't a fan of Piper, even since I saw her in the initial reveal.
    Did you find anything really interesting that isn't completely obvious, such as journal entries in random terminals, or certain holotapes by corpses or skeletons?
    Give any unique names to your personal weapons? I got a 10mm with explosive rounds that I beefed up and call 'Boomer.'

Tips

- Last time I hopped on, I discovered there are magazines that give you additional pieces for your settlements. The issue I found added potted plants, and there is four in total.

- The 'Lone Wanderer' perk will still work if you have Dogmeat as your companion, it is incredibly useful if you want to have a companion, but also want to utilize this perk.

- Sleeping for an hour before you start building will grant you more xp from the 'Well Rested' bonus.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

is piper worth bringing along? im rolling with valentine right now and ddog (whatever his name is) is off lookin for clues

I don't know because I dislike Piper and never had her follow me, I have Cait with me and she likes it when I loot people and pick locks, haha.
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !

sounds like my type of girl. valentine is a little too "by the book" hard-nosed cop for me

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Cait was fun, but her companion quest felt a little too "forced emotion" for me.

I like Deacon a hell of a lot, dude's funny
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

In regards to the Magazines, I have also found Patio Furniture, Picket Fences, and an Advanced Light.

Also, similar to what you said about building, I hoard meat until I have a large amount, Sleep for an hour, then blast through your cooking. I managed to raise from Level 18 to 19 just by cooking.
    Last edited by TheIronz; 11-17-2015 at 10:22 PM.

im deep into the water purification. i have 4 of the small purifiers and 6 of the industrial size. i dont even really harvest much anymore. i spend water on ammo.

edit: how long do fusion cores last? is their length based on movement or elapsed time? i have 10 at the moment
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 11-18-2015 at 01:41 PM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    im deep into the water purification. i have 4 of the small purifiers and 6 of the industrial size. i dont even really harvest much anymore. i spend water on ammo.

edit: how long do fusion cores last? is their length based on movement or elapsed time? i have 10 at the moment
    Fusion cores burn faster if you do things like sprinting etc, it's straight up fuel. If you're just walking it burns slow, but if you're sprinting everywhere and using jetpacks they can burn out faster

cool. im starting to stock them. i have like 22 or so right now.

okay, after a fuckin eternity of installtime i finally got to play it yesterday. and i have tons of questions haha, (sorry for noobing):

- is it possible to power up the nuclear cells used to power the armour suits? it ran out and i had to step out of it in the middle of the forest. id like to go get it and power it up again lol)

- what happens if my dog dies? do i have to keep it alive?

- how do i get other companions?

- will drawers etc in my safehouse store unlimited of junk?

- do i have to do the tasks presented or can i still progress my dude otherwise?

- will i be able to ride cars/planes or similar?

- if i wear raider etc clothing, will i be attacked by otherwise friendly people?

- how scarce is ammunition?

ill add more when i remember
    Last edited by bohemian; 11-19-2015 at 12:38 AM.

- is it possible to power up the nuclear cells used to power the armour suits? it ran out and i had to step out of it in the middle of the forest. id like to go get it and power it up again lol)

As far as I am aware, there is no way to charge the fusion cores, you'll have to explore or purchase another one.
    You usually almost always find one when you explore the inside of a building, whether it's in a machine or on an enemy already.

- what happens if my dog dies? do i have to keep it alive?

Dogmeat cannot die, period, he can be injured, but even then, he recovers when you killed all nearby enemies. Do not waste your stimpacks picking him up.

- how do i get other companions?

You'll come across them as you play, doing quests for certain people, or just going into certain places. (I got Cait just from killing some raiders in a building and talking to a guy.)

- will drawers etc in my safehouse store unlimited of junk?

Yes, pack that shit in as much as you feel like, it's unrealistic, of course, but it's better then having limited space.

- do i have to do the tasks presented or can i still progress my dude otherwise?

If you're referring to story progression then yes, but if you mean just your character. You can level up from lots of things, discovering new places, enemies, building, crafting, persuading people.

- will i be able to ride cars/planes or similar?

There are no vehicles, you got your two legs and the ability to fast travel anywhere once you discover it, that's it.

- if i wear raider etc clothing, will i be attacked by otherwise friendly people?

In previous Bethesda games, npcs would make comments about what you wear, but it wouldn't cause certain people to become hostile or non-hostile because of your outfit. Some quests would change this factor however, but I have yet to see one of those types of quests in Fallout 4.

- how scarce is ammunition?

It depends on the ammo you're looking for, I have stacked thousands of .38 rounds for the pipe-type weapons, but they're super weak, so I don't bother with them. Explosives are definitely your friend in this game, Molotovs, grenades, mines will help you a lot in the long run. It's not absolutely scarce, but it does take effort to build it up. I have a nice 10mm legendary weapon and constantly fluctuate between 100-600 rounds. I'll end up just buying all the rounds a shop has to build it back up.

Hope that helps man, feel free to ask anything else.

wow great answers, thanks man!

alright, is there a cap on how much ammo we can have? i think im just gonna collect ammo and fusion cores until i never have to come home again. just wander around the wasteland for eternity

edit: out of the expensive ammo (10bc+/round), which do you find most worth the cost?
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 11-19-2015 at 02:17 PM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

alright, is there a cap on how much ammo we can have? i think im just gonna collect ammo and fusion cores until i never have to come home again. just wander around the wasteland for eternity

edit: out of the expensive ammo (10bc+/round), which do you find most worth the cost?
    Most worth the cost? If you have a fully upgraded assault rifle, the 5.56 ammo is easily the most effective. I maxed out my Ninja perk though, so anything silenced + sneak attack is worth using.

i like the 5.56 rounds. i think i almost have 1000. i was talking about the rounds that cost more than 10 bottlecaps per round. like the plasma rounds and the gamma rounds and stuff like that. also, im up to 49 fusion cores.

i need to get that ninja shit but im waitin a bit. as soon as i get it i know ill start killing people i shouldn't...winkwink, lucy's parents.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I don't use energy weapons ever, so can't help ya there. I do use explosives though, but I tend to buy explosive ammo when the shopkeep doesn't have enough to pay me and I just need some more caps to burn.

Also Ninja perk + Sandman perk maxed = murder everything

Minglin'

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    What companion have you guys gone with? Or are you just playing it solo?

Give any unique names to your personal weapons? I got a 10mm with explosive rounds that I beefed up and call 'Boomer.'
    Going solo, not even dogmeat. I'm playing sneaky sneaky and companions tend to mess that up completely.
    5.3x ranged sneak attacks without breaking stealth is so full of win.
    That playstyle also makes combat a lot more tactical, which I like.

I usually prefix my upgraded weapon names with a * so they're stacked first in the list.. no creative names unfortunately.
    It's also possible to use limited html tags like <li> <i> etc in weapon names (the tags don't have to be closed)

Pro tip: Get weapons that use the same perk but different ammo, so you can use more abundant .45 or even .38 for weak raiders without wasting your good ammo.
    I'm carrying an assortment of silenced pistols (10mm, .45, .50) plus a .44 for crit one-shotting big bads and a maxed legendary institute pistol for when my stealth is blown (got like 3k cells).
    Yes, you can make a scoped, silenced .50 pistol!
    If you're using VATS and pistols, the PPK you get from the first Railroad mission is godly. I can empty a 16-round clip in one AP bar, and upgraded it has a 96 damage rating with 4 perk stars... so yeah..

Don't Worry, Be Happy Poncho Lord's Avatar
    PSN
    trompo54

Quote Originally Posted by ske View Post
    Going solo, not even dogmeat. I'm playing sneaky sneaky and companions tend to mess that up completely.

I usually prefix my upgraded weapon names with a * so they're stacked first in the list.. no creative names unfortunately.
    It's also possible to use limited html tags like <li> <i> etc in weapon names (the tags don't have to be closed)

Pro tip: Get weapons that use the same perk but different ammo, so you can use more abundant .45 or even .38 for weak raiders without wasting your good ammo.
    I'm carrying an assortment of silenced pistols (10mm, .45, .50) plus a .44 for crit one-shotting big bads and a maxed legendary institute pistol for when my stealth is blown (got like 3k cells).
    If you're using VATS and pistols, the PPK you get from the first Railroad mission is godly. I can empty a 16-round clip in one AP bar, and upgraded it has a 96 damage rating with 4 perk stars... so yeah..
    i currently working towards a .50 cal silenced sniper. ive been running around with .45 rounds for a while, been using .38 as currency
    STREET
    BEERZ

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

You want tactical, get 10 Charisma with Intimidation and try to clear a quest with no kills, pure stealth

After discovering how great ballistic weave armor is for your character, I feel obligated to share with you guys, just in case you didn't know.

If you wear the clothes that goes under the armor pieces, you know how weak they are. The point to wearing them is basically for the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat boosts and that's it. This mod makes it so much better. If you have your armor mod perk all the way to level 4, you can add 110/110 damage, and energy resistance. Even the lowest ballistic weave mod adds 30/30 to whatever you put it on, absolutely worth it!

So once you find the Railroad, after you do a couple missions, and talk to 'Tinker Tom.' He unlocks the ability for you to add this awesome mod to your clothes/armor. It also works for various pieces such as suits, dresses, several uniforms. It also works on a few hats, but none of which I like.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ballistic_weave

There is a link to everything you can upgrade with it and how to get it unlocked, if you didn't already. I'm sure most of you already figured this out, but I didn't see anything about it on here for people who didn't know.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 11-29-2015 at 07:52 AM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

After discovering how great ballistic weave armor is for your character, I feel obligated to share with you guys, just in case you didn't know.

If you wear the clothes that goes under the armor pieces, you know how weak they are. The point to wearing them is basically for the S.P.E.C.I.A.L. stat boosts and that's it. This mod makes it so much better. If you have your armor mod perk all the way to level 4, you can add 110/110 damage, and energy resistance. Even the lowest ballistic weave mod adds 30/30 to whatever you put it on, absolutely worth it!

So once you find the Railroad, after you do a couple missions, and talk to 'Tinker Tom.' He unlocks the ability for you to add this awesome mod to your clothes/armor. It also works for various pieces such as suits, dresses, several uniforms. It also works on a few hats, but none of which I like.

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Ballistic_weave

There is a link to everything you can upgrade with it and how to get it unlocked, if you didn't already. I'm sure most of you already figured this out, but I didn't see anything about it on here for people who didn't know.

Enjoy!
    Still bugs me that Greaser jacket can be weaved, but the Atom Cats jacket can't

Quote Originally Posted by PoppySquidJr View Post
    Still bugs me that Greaser jacket can be weaved, but the Atom Cats jacket can't
    On that fallout wiki page I linked, the atom cats jacket and jeans is on the list of upgradeable items, but I assume it's wrong. You had to have tried, and it didn't let you.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

On that fallout wiki page I linked, the atom cats jacket and jeans is on the list of upgradeable items, but I assume it's wrong. You had to have tried, and it didn't let you.
    correct.

Going solo, not even dogmeat.
    lenge siden jeg har sett deg her

wow, thanks for posting Derk. I did one of those quests for PAM earlier, but i must have not talked to Tom afterwards. It's available to me now that i did a second quest. Super helpful since i have armorer 4. Might just skip power armor with this now lol
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

Quote Originally Posted by mamba12 View Post
    wow, thanks for posting Derk. I did one of those quests for PAM earlier, but i must have not talked to Tom afterwards. It's available to me now that i did a second quest. Super helpful since i have armorer 4. Might just skip power armor with this now lol
    Yeah man, I'm wearing the minute men outfit with a newsboy cap and my armor is over 300/300 with those, on top of my armor pieces, shit is soooo good!

Edit: What is the most valuable thing you guys have found off a legendary creature? I got this last night off a ghoul, but I don't use heavy weapons usually.

Last edited by NotedDerk; 12-02-2015 at 09:14 AM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Yeah man, I'm wearing the minute men outfit with a newsboy cap and my armor is over 300/300 with those, on top of my armor pieces, shit is soooo good!

Edit: What is the most valuable thing you guys have found off a legendary creature? I got this last night off a ghoul, but I don't use heavy weapons usually.

My best weapon can actually be purchased from Diamond City. "Big Boy" is a Fat Man that fires two projectiles with each shot. Upgrade it with the MIRV package and you have a weapon that can one-shot a legendary Deathclaw Matriarch.

luft, what ammo does the bigboy take? ive been thinkin about buyin that. i haven't played in over a week (i burned myself out farming and selling water) but im about to get back into it.

luft, what ammo does the bigboy take? ive been thinkin about buyin that. i haven't played in over a week (i burned myself out farming and selling water) but im about to get back into it.
    Mini nukes, good luck making that last, especially if it fires two at a time, I've got about 30 in total from my entire play time so far, that would be gone so fast, haha.

oh damn, i forgot i saw that at arturo's when i was looking at the big boy. i don't have any and haven't seen any yet so im just gonna wait and buy that thing if i get some ammo for it. fuckin mini nukes

edit: i have over 140 fusion cores. does power armor use a specific weapon/round? im thinkin either the 5mm or 10mm. i don't know if you can use whatever weapon you want in power armor or if it has a built in weapon. if it only uses the one weapon, im gonna try to gather as much of that ammo as i can and go roamin in my Gizmoduck suit
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 12-03-2015 at 08:48 AM.

you can use any weapon in power armor. except maybe unarmed weapons. i think i remember reading you cant use a power fist with power armor - which really sucks.
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

sweet. thanks hypnotoad.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Mini nukes, good luck making that last, especially if it fires two at a time, I've got about 30 in total from my entire play time so far, that would be gone so fast, haha.
    It fires two projectiles but only costs one mini nuke. It's a legendary buff, so it doesn't apply to logic. I had about 70 when I started using it, I just save it for boss-type enemies. The easiest way to get them is to find Super Mutant Suiciders, and snipe them dead before they can explode. They'll leave behind a mini nuke every time.

And yea, the only weapon you can't use in power armor is fist weapons. However, you can upgrade the arms of your power armor to do extra unarmed damage.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I got to that point and one on hand I was excited to see Liberty Prime again, but on the other hand it reminded me just how much Fallout 4 seems to be trying *really* hard to lean on Fallout 3's success instead of just being another good Fallout game (why is it that like, 60% of everyone in the commonwealth is from the Capital Wasteland?). While I love Liberty Prime, I really feel he should've stayed in Fallout 3 and been left alone.

XBL
    TheDietTea

So how do/did you guys like Fallout 4?
    I've had it for a few weeks but just now getting into it.
    Did you know you can scan an area in VATs and shoot traps from a distance?

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
    legendary
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

who grabbed the season pass? i was on the fence since i haven't played in a while but i want the far harbor so i copped the pass before it goes up to $50 since it's only $5 more than the harbor by itself. there's gonna be a bunch of free mods coming, too. supposedly ps4 gets the mods like a month after the xblock.

Oops, I didn't see your reply here, I literally just said the same thing in chat, haha. I'm sure you'll get the extra 5 bucks you spent out of a future dlc, maybe even just the settlement one. I'm excited to make my own arenas and tame creatures, I'm curious if they'll incorporate betting as well? Probably not, but it we will see. I can imagine the next batch of dlc, after these three, will have the same formula. Another Story-driven one, one to expand settlements, and another to just add things to the commonwealth.