Thread: PC vs Mac - Opinions Needed!

Default PC vs Mac - Opinions Needed!

Which one is better (give reasons)? Which one should I buy?

I'm going to be going to college later this year; its time for a new laptop. Which operating system is generally better than the other? I currently have a cheap PC. The battery is fried, the cord is fucked up, and my boss says Windows laptops couldn't get any cheaper.

I read a blog and got some answers:

32 reasons for those who don't know better. I don't know about adds but I use both, PC and Mac and comparing them is just not fair - PC is soooo inferior. The only advantage PC has over Mac is number of programs available for it. About G5 being inferior to Intel for years - how did you test it? And what about Cell chip from IBM? Intel will get there in 4-5 years. Maybe. It would be interesting if author of this article try to spec PC similar to the biggest 24" iMac (including monitor). And by the way - how many monitors (any size) can compare in quality to iMac? Not many. I doubt he would be able to beat the price. Let's forget about look as that would be too much to ask from gray box manufacturers. Oh yes I said I use PC as well - XP is fired up from time to time but Linux Mint is main resident on that machine. 3D desktop included and multiple workspaces of course - Windows will get there in next decade hopefully.
    Some feedback from you all would be nice. I need more perspectives before I spend my money.

Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 01-19-2012 at 01:40 PM.

The only thing I can say right off the bat is that Macs cost more both during startup and in the long run; so if money is a concern, keep that in mind. PC isn't really inferior to mac if you aren't pushing the comps to their limits (most people don't), as all your day-to-day programs run just fine with a fraction of the memory capabilities that the excerpt in your post is mentioning.... But this thread needs more info before any real advice. You say you're going to college, so what are you going to be using the laptop for?
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Apple = Big Brother/Cyberdine

I'm sorry, they make a decent product, but the limitations to what you can do to/with a Mac on top of their push for "the cloud" really freak me out. You know how nearly every sci-fi flick from pre 2000 or so was about computers taking over because humans became so reliant on them they couldn't fuction without them??? Yeah, you can't defrag your own harddrive because it's on Apple's servers... No thanks. PC.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Great marco, we needed more drama, and you know that's going to happen with something like this.
    I can only hope it stays respectful, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

mac is way easier to use. sorry guys, thts the bottom line. it does cost more but you get more for what you pay.

Easy.. Get a Intel based PC and load MAC OSX on it. then you can dual boot. Windows 7 or Mac.. as Mac & PC have the same hardware. the only difference is the OS.
    or get a MAC and use Vmware Fusion and load windows 7 on it. lol

There is no Mac Vs PC. as they are both a PC.
    Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

My vote goes for Mac.

I used to have a PC running Vista, and everything was more or less fucked after 3 years of using it, and I take really good care of my shit. I used it mainly for school, and some video editing from time to time, and that was pretty much it. It was fine for the time I've used it, but at the end, it was slow as shit, and it was apparently filled with viruses and trojans and bullshit, and I had spent a good 100$ or so on a so-called "good anti-virus", and it wasn't worth it at all (I might've downloaded too much music and programs lol). What I love about Mac's is that you can't get a virus (at least from what I've heard), and everything is sooooo easy to use, the only downside imo is that it is a little expensive, but I think it's really worth it. So depending on your budget, if you can afford a mac, I'd say get one, if not, a PC should be fine...

But what Daag says is true. I didn't know you can run MAC OSX on a PC, but I got a friend in software engineering who runs Windows 7 on his Mac with parallels and shit
    Last edited by Boxerman08; 01-20-2012 at 10:18 PM.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

I'll end this argument now.

What are you going to school for?
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Mac PC's are not worth the money you invest in them no matter your field of study.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

was easy to do.. just follow the vid

This is my DT for my PC, got the snow leopard dock lol

Last edited by Ruben_Williams; 01-23-2012 at 03:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    I'll end this argument now.

What are you going to school for?
    Going to college for...

Screenwriting, television production, video production, etc. I plan to do a lot of writing. Final Draft is a good program on Macs (its for screenwriting). I'd also like to engage in the modern visual arts. I'm so grateful that this little community has introduced me to video editing. Making videos = big drive... which equals PC. From what I've learned so far...

Writing, designing... (Microsoft Word, Final draft, photoshop) ...all that artsy shit = MAC
    Hardcore video editing, software, after effects, gaming ...all that nerdy shit = PC
    Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 01-23-2012 at 07:45 PM.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Quote Originally Posted by MarcoPoloUSN View Post
    Writing, designing... (Microsoft Word, Final draft, photoshop) ...all that artsy shit = MAC
    Hardcore video editing, software, after effects, gaming ...all that nerdy shit = PC
    If you're doing a lot of video editing or Photoshop work or After Effects work, you'll want a Mac. Final Cut Pro is pretty much the industry standard. People often say that Macs are overpriced but don't forget that not only are you paying for the software and internals, but also for the build quality. These computers are known for their build quality.

Adding a larger hard drive is real simple as well. Plus, there is no other trackpad that can beat a Macbook Pro's trackpad. In all comes down to your budget. If you're willing to spend $1,000+, go for the Mac, you won't regret it.

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

I would've put in the "hardcore video editing, software, after effects" in the = MAC part and writing in = PC lol

How about this:

Work = MAC
    Gaming = PC

End of story. If you're doing WORK, you can't beat a Macbook Pro for reliability and functionality. The only reason people put up with PCs for WORK situations is $$$.

And this is coming from a die hard PC user who can build his own computer and all that nerdy shit. I was switching jumpers on old IDE Hard Drives before you were old enough to Skate! lol

Macs just work. Period. PCs just develop problems over time. Need fresh Windows installs like every year or so just to stay running well. Ugh.
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

Quote Originally Posted by Ruben_Williams View Post
    This is my DT for my PC, got the snow leopard dock lol

http://i43.tinypic.com/24maz4p.jpg
    What kind of mixes you making w/ Traktor??? Also what's the GUI you're using for the taskbar?
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

Fluckit Master

Everytime I read PC vs MAC I instantly think of 'Canon vs. Nikon', or even 'Xbox vs PS3'.
    So far you should know what I think of this...

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Quote Originally Posted by agusbmxarg View Post
    Everytime I read PC vs MAC I instantly think of 'Canon vs. Nikon', or even 'Xbox vs PS3'.
    So far you should know what I think of this...
    haha that's true to a certain extent but I guess it all boils down to preference, if you've got the money, etc.
    But BeatChemist is right, imo. Work = Mac, Gaming = PC.

Quote Originally Posted by BeatChemist View Post
    What kind of mixes you making w/ Traktor??? Also what's the GUI you're using for the taskbar?
    Prog House, Techno. . . .

Mac theme from custopack

Screenwriting, television production, video production, etc. I plan to do a lot of writing. Final Draft is a good program on Macs (its for screenwriting). I'd also like to engage in the modern visual arts. I'm so grateful that this little community has introduced me to video editing. Making videos = big drive... which equals PC. From what I've learned so far...

I've literally never said this before so you better copy and past and sig this shit...

you should get a mac.

God i feel dirty
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    you should get a mac.
    /discussion DONE

I was also moved by what Beat said... "Macs just work."

All my PC's have "just worked"... they just require a little more maintenance and care.

A Honda Civic "Just works" but i would take a Corvette ZR-1 over a Civic any day.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter