Thread: Olympic Skateboarding

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Olympic Skateboarding

Do you think it'll happen? Would you be excited? (click picture for ESPN article)

Skateboarding won't be added to the 2012 Olympic games, but there are people making significant efforts to have the sport admitted soon after. "Organizers say skateboarding is ready for the Olympics."

Kids are into skateboarding these days, and... "The IOC is keen to keep the Olympic sports program relevant for the young generations."

"Margo Christiansen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, said snowboarding was a boon to the Winter Olympics because it's a sport 'kids are doing across terrain parks all over the world.'

*The article is pretty old which hints that the discussion may be old on fluckit. I haven't seen anyone really talking about it here so. If this is old and pointless then sorry. Whatever.
    Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 02-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

did you actually look on the date of the article?
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

I see April 1st 2011. I thought about it today, looked it up, and saw that article. I thought it was intersting enough to share here and get opinions.

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

A lot of people still don't class skating as a sport, let alone an Olympic event.
    But they are the same people who think shooting skeet is a 'sport'.

I don't like the Olympics, it just bores me. Even the football (soccer to you gays). I will watch football anytime it's on TV, but in the Olympics it just seems to take a step down.

I can't see many of the well known competition skaters in the Olympics personally.

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

I shoot skeet all the time.Just ask my wife.

Blazing a Trail

Quote Originally Posted by bengrover View Post

I don't like the Olympics, it just bores me. Even the football (soccer to you gays).

Haha I love that!

Unfortunately, I think skateboarding is perfect for the Olympics because of the type of sport it is. I say unfortunately because it will just bring more dumb shit to skateboarding itself. It's already bad enough that Major sponsorships require their skaters to practice and train to represent their previously non-skateboard related Co..

I can picture it now, the gold medalist in skateboarding saying "I like to thank my sponsors Verizon, google and Mc Donalds" then turning his head slightly to the right and taking a sip of his other sponsorship which would be some energy drink (while someone places a hat on his head with the logo).

Disagree with comments about it 'mainstreaming' the sport but agree it shouldn't be in the Olympics. Love the Olympics just fine as they are actually (most ppl only watch gym, swim and track anyways).

Besides: Street League

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Quote Originally Posted by old-skooler-34 View Post
    I can picture it now, the gold medalist in skateboarding saying "I like to thank my sponsors Verizon, google and Mc Donalds" then turning his head slightly to the right and taking a sip of his other sponsorship which would be some energy drink (while someone places a hat on his head with the logo).
    That's pretty much my view as well if skateboarding was to become part of the olympics lol