Thread: Olympic Skateboarding

Default Olympic Skateboarding

Do you think it'll happen? Would you be excited? (click picture for ESPN article)

Skateboarding won't be added to the 2012 Olympic games, but there are people making significant efforts to have the sport admitted soon after. "Organizers say skateboarding is ready for the Olympics."

Kids are into skateboarding these days, and... "The IOC is keen to keep the Olympic sports program relevant for the young generations."

"Margo Christiansen, a spokeswoman for the U.S. Ski and Snowboard Association, said snowboarding was a boon to the Winter Olympics because it's a sport 'kids are doing across terrain parks all over the world.'

*The article is pretty old which hints that the discussion may be old on fluckit. I haven't seen anyone really talking about it here so. If this is old and pointless then sorry. Whatever.
    Last edited by MarcoPoloUSN; 02-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

did you actually look on the date of the article?
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

I see April 1st 2011. I thought about it today, looked it up, and saw that article. I thought it was intersting enough to share here and get opinions.

PSN
    bengrover
    XBL
    bengrove

A lot of people still don't class skating as a sport, let alone an Olympic event.
    But they are the same people who think shooting skeet is a 'sport'.

I don't like the Olympics, it just bores me. Even the football (soccer to you gays). I will watch football anytime it's on TV, but in the Olympics it just seems to take a step down.

I can't see many of the well known competition skaters in the Olympics personally.

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

I shoot skeet all the time.Just ask my wife.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by m7419 View Post
    I shoot skeet all the time.Just ask my wife.
    Point.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

From the windowsssssss...
    To the waaaalllllllsss....

Til sweat drips off my baaallllllllsssss

skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet skeet

but um yeah I don't really care if skateboarding is in the olympics. I can understand all the arguments.
    It's good because it will expose more people to it. It's bad because it will expose more people to it.
    It's good because it brings money into skateboarding. It's bad because it brings money into skateboarding.
    It's good because it legitimizes the "sport" in the eyes of "society."
    It's bad because it legitimizes the "sport" in the eyes of "society."
    et al

But I just can't bring myself to care. I've been out of skateboarding "culture" for so long that I am just comfortable with my own relationship with skateboarding and how it shaped who I am now. But I don't care if Nike sponsors all the best skaters now or if DC and Rob Dyrdek sold out and are the anichrist, you know? It just doesn't really affect me at all. I care more about a skate 4 coming out. Wait. Actually, fuck it. I want Skateboarding in the Olympics because it will probably increase the chances that EA puts out another in the series. Wow. As if.
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

it started underground keep it that way mainstream ruins everything

Blazing a Trail

Quote Originally Posted by bengrover View Post

I don't like the Olympics, it just bores me. Even the football (soccer to you gays).

Haha I love that!

Unfortunately, I think skateboarding is perfect for the Olympics because of the type of sport it is. I say unfortunately because it will just bring more dumb shit to skateboarding itself. It's already bad enough that Major sponsorships require their skaters to practice and train to represent their previously non-skateboard related Co..

I can picture it now, the gold medalist in skateboarding saying "I like to thank my sponsors Verizon, google and Mc Donalds" then turning his head slightly to the right and taking a sip of his other sponsorship which would be some energy drink (while someone places a hat on his head with the logo).

Disagree with comments about it 'mainstreaming' the sport but agree it shouldn't be in the Olympics. Love the Olympics just fine as they are actually (most ppl only watch gym, swim and track anyways).

Besides: Street League

I hate skateboarding contests... I just like the freedom of expression.. Doesn't belong in olympics in my eyes..

Steam
    Boxerman08
    XBL
    Boxerman08

Quote Originally Posted by old-skooler-34 View Post
    I can picture it now, the gold medalist in skateboarding saying "I like to thank my sponsors Verizon, google and Mc Donalds" then turning his head slightly to the right and taking a sip of his other sponsorship which would be some energy drink (while someone places a hat on his head with the logo).
    That's pretty much my view as well if skateboarding was to become part of the olympics lol

Olympics is for elite athletes pushing themselves at the highest level. To this day I have never seen or heard of a skateboarding contest where guys trained for years and years for a chance to compete in something. That's no coincidence, skateboarding is not about that. I've seen them all: Street League, X-Games, Maloofs, Vans Triple Crowns, etc etc and I've never seen anything but guys being chummy chummy and kicking it in between runs.

Skateboarding (imo) has never been about divisiveness but more about inclusiveness; that's completely against what the olympics is all about.

Besides, you give the Chinese another sport they can medal in and you'll see fairly quickly how many sick asian skaters there are out there that you've NEVER heard of lol

Quote Originally Posted by r0ke View Post

Besides, you give the Chinese another sport they can medal in and you'll see fairly quickly how many sick asian skaters there are out there that you've NEVER heard of lol
    lulz true