Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Lil Wayne's New Single

"Yeah but... phenomenal doesn't start with an "f"... "

haha, seriously...you're joking right?

ChvyVele

I'm serious... clearly phenomenal sounds like it would start with an "f", but it doesn't. Write that down as another bad line in my book.

Eesti

First off i'm new here so my name is Eesti blah blah blah......

For the Lil' Wayne fans, how old are you?

Honestly, it's an honest question.

Music is a lot like literature. You have your literary masterpieces and you have your best-sellers. The difference between the two worlds is that people more often than not can easily distinguish between the great novels and a novel that is selling a great amount of copies. People seem to understand better that their beloved Danielle Steele or Dean Koontz novel, though entertaining may not be of the highest literary standards. It's easy, it's fun to read and it does't really challenge your mind. Kind of like Dan Brown novels. So with that said there is no argueent that because you are selling multi-platinum amounts that it verifies your skil in the art of hip-hop or any other form of music.

As time passes and you get older you listen to your older music. Music that you were convinced was the greatest audio ever made, five or ten years later it's not so fresh anymore. Music you were convinved was garbage you find yourself understanding more and realize that it is infact quite good. Your mindset back in the artists heyday was what prevented you from hearing that. Not always but sometimes. This goes both ways for the underground heads and the mainstream afficionados.

So with that said, one mans trash is another mans treasure. The test of time will define great artists and how well their music weathers the years.

Personally at 30 years old and raised on hip-hop it's more than obviuous that Lil' Wayne is a Danielle Steele novel. Nas is closer to a Tolstoy. I like it all and enjoy the music for what it is but people will not be talking about Lil' Wayne five or ten years from now. He's a best-seller not a literary master, it's obvious. Some of it's catchy and I find myself bobbing my head to it occassionally but the arguement of him being a great lyricist is baseless. The lyrics he writes or does not write are only a notch above Paul Wall. You literally have no soul or grasp of the hip-hop culture if you are putting Lil' Wayne above Nas or even on the same level. Nas gets respect from the whole industry, Lil' Wayne can't say the same.

BSer34

90% of rap now a days sounds the same anyways and I can respect Wayne for bringing something a little different. He's not up there as one of the best but neither are half the rappers mentioned. They all rap about the same things, have the same basic flow and have no versatility. To be honest, I prefer a rapper to be a little on the strange side with a different sound. (why I can appreciate Wayne, I guess) Really, I appreciate what all of them do, except Soulja Boy, I just have my own preference.

I've mentioned them before and I'll mention them again...Charles Hamilton (weird dude obsessed with Sonic the Hedgehog) and B.O.B. (from another planet) They bring it like it's supposed to be without being like everybody else. They are what's been missing from the rap game.

EDIT: Some of the things debaser put up were pretty cool and so was Stoked's
    Last edited by BSer34; 02-01-2009 at 01:20 AM.

I'm 27, my favorite books are non-fiction books about economics such as Adam Smith's Wealth of Nations and things like that. I also read books about linguistics (see: Charles Pinker, a VERY good author on the subject), philosophy, musical theory, history...etc. So i guess what i'm getting upset at is the condescension i feel has been directed at me. None of you are any more qualified than myself to say who's the best lyricist. But considering i LOVE rap, (i said RAP, not HIP HOP) i know my opinions aren't formed willy nilly with no thought behind them. I hear what i hear in music and you hear what you hear. When I hear weezy go off on a track i can hear how intelligent he is and i'm "in on the joke" if that makes any sense. He is truly a master of his craft but again, not many people can hear past his subject matter. Also, if it matters, i listen to everything from White Zombie to Yngwie to Nirvana to Nina Simone to Charlie Parker to Led Zeppelin to Prince....not to mention the amount of rap and hip hop i listen to.

and to Bser, yeah i dig some of B.O.Bs stuff and some of Charles Hamiltons stuff as well (his Sonic the Hamilton mixtape was mad unique) they're both doin their own thing and bringing something fresh, but i wouldn't consider any of them to be close to someone like Wayne or Em or Jay yet...the pros are just too consistent.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 02-01-2009 at 05:07 AM.

Banned

I think theres two categories in rap, not mainstream and underground. Here, and always.

People like eminem and lil wayne and nas will always be here, and they'll always be consistant

The other rappers mentioned here are dope too, i just doubt they'll still be putting out hot shit 10 years from now.

But i don't think theres an argument in the world to convince me eminem is not the greatest rapper to ever make a record.

kaneland14

You know, that song is actually starting to grow on me, i listened to it about 20 time on youtube since it came out and i just bought it about an hour ago, i take back what i said before about it being shit, it's nit rock but it's still a great song
    Cant wait till the album

Anyone know when the 3-headed monster comes out ( dre's detox, em's relapse and 50's before i self destruct for those who dont know)

50 prolly soon....em hopefully soon.....and detox.................been waiting for that for over a decade

but yeah, Rebirth is gonna be sick. his producers started putting 808s and shit into the music and he told 'em no....like full on rock album. dope.

Before I Self Destruct should hopefully hit sometime in Feb/Mar, Relapse in April at the earliest, and Detox sometime after that.

Though all the released dates have been pushed back multiple times by now so it's hard to say. The months I've thrown out there are just my guesstimates.

kaneland14

i read somewhere that they are kinda a series, before i self destruct is gonna be released first, then relapse, then detox, is this true, it would kinda make sense because aren't they all on the same label and also, it would kinda make sense with the names of the albums that they would kinda go togehter

ChvyVele

Yeah I'm excited for all three of those albums. I doubt Dre's is going to come out soon though... he's been pushing that back forever. I'm convinced it's just an urban legend.

Oh and, did anyone hear 50's diss to Rick Ross? It's pretty sick, it's called Officer Ricky Go Ahead Try Me.

http://www.thisis50.com/profiles/blo...ficer-ricky-go

Banned

That song is hilarious, 50 cent got his fire back.

wow this seems to be a hot topic lol

I like lil waynes older stuff like fireman, and go dj but his new stuff id kind of waht greenday did with their american idiot album in becoming sell outs, before i get slated all the artists mentioned on this thread i like, i have a very varied taste in music from the game, xzibit to slayer and chimera lol anywho im off to play skate. c ya

ChvyVele

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    That song is hilarious, 50 cent got his fire back.
    Yeah man I thought he lost it, but after he did that mixtape Elephant in the Sand dissing Fat Joe and now this, I have faith again. Nothing he does will ever compare to Get Rich or Die Tryin' though.

Banned

Get rich or die tryin' will always have a place in hip hop, great album.

k3v1n

switch showed me this song the other day, and i was pretty pissed.
    Frankly, I won't listen to any hip hop + rock beat unless it's a jay-z mashup.

Wayne definitely has some songs that are great, and everyone who says otherwise
    clearly only gets their opinion from his radio songs, which I agree to an extent are pretty bad.

If you go away from his more publicized stuff however, you'll here some really deep,
    meaningful shit come from Wayne, and it sounds a lot better than anything Nas or any other "deep" rap artist out there.

Who judges hip hop on the lyrics anyway? If you're looking for a good written song
    listen to rap (which is a TOTALLY different genre if you ask me). Hip hop is all about the beat.

ChvyVele

Quote Originally Posted by k3v1n View Post
    Wayne definitely has some songs that are great, and everyone who says otherwise
    clearly only gets their opinion from his radio songs, which I agree to an extent are pretty bad.
    Definitely not true. My older brother is a huge Wayne fan, so I've heard so many of his songs. That means songs off of his albums, mixtapes, everything. Still not a fan.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneland14 View Post
    i read somewhere that they are kinda a series, before i self destruct is gonna be released first, then relapse, then detox, is this true, it would kinda make sense because aren't they all on the same label and also, it would kinda make sense with the names of the albums that they would kinda go togehter
    Yup. They're supposedly a themed release. That's actually the biggest reason behind the most recent delays. Technically they're not the same label but in reality... yeah it's the same people behind all three projects.

Quote Originally Posted by k3v1n View Post
    Who judges hip hop on the lyrics anyway? If you're looking for a good written song
    listen to rap (which is a TOTALLY different genre if you ask me). Hip hop is all about the beat.
    Unless you're being sarcastic... I think you've got your genre's switched there.

"Frankly, I won't listen to any hip hop + rock beat unless it's a jay-z mashup."

GOOD GOD! you're comparing a MASHUP (which isn't even music) with weezy original rock music? that's blasphemy.

"If you go away from his more publicized stuff however, you'll here some really deep,
    meaningful shit come from Wayne, and it sounds a lot better than anything Nas or any other "deep" rap artist out there."

i do however agree with that statement.

"they like when i say Yeah, huh,
    and your boyfriends a tampon,
    and i don't own land baby, i own a landmine,
    so step on my land and catch a bomb like Anquan...."

kaneland14

I challenge you to find 5 better songs/verses than these 5

Last of a dying breed
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pmD9iUkewoM
    start at 1:40

Haterz
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9W0Wo...eature=related
    start at 1:53

100 million
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpMetI3HMTI
    start at 3:30

9mm/speaker
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3do...eature=related
    start at 0:48

We takin over
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wh3do...eature=related
    start at 4:20

Hell, i can't only pick 5

I'm so paid
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYu3vB23F4
    start at 3:40

Soldier
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VYu3vB23F4
    start at 2:30

Gimme that remix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j7nA9S4GvSQ
    start at 0:50 go to 1:25, skip forward to 3:15

Make it work for ya
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XGd6L...next=1&index=3
    start at 2:48

Those are just the 10 off the top of my head

Get Stoked

Lil' Wayne's rhymes are so retarded, he should tour on the short bus.

Here's some local guys from my town, been doing their stuff together for about 10 years now. They're beats are all live with guitar, bass, drums, keyboard, bongos, and some other random instruments from time to time.

This song is from like 2002:

kaneland14

what are you talkin bout, those verses are fire

Get Stoked

I'm sure Lil' Wayne's good, he just not my style of Hip Hop.

Banned

He's only good on others peoples songs in my opinion, his last of a dying breed verse so i fire its redic.

so nelson, where's your verse at?

Banned

Shit i forgot about that, once thats done no doubt I'll be up with the rest of the rappers mentioned here

ChvyVele

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUawT_tl7sg

"Catchin' more bodies then abortion clinics"

Yeah.

Another...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JddZwAGs2yo

"I run with sturdy clicks I'm never hittin dirty chicks
    Got thirty-five bodies, buddy dont make it thirty-six
    Step to this you're good as gone, word is born
    I leave mics torn when I put it on"

"I'm known to gas a hottie and blast the shottie
    Got more cash than Gotti
    you don't know?
    you betta ask somebody"

"And I'm known to pull steel trigs and kill pigs
    I run with ill kids and real nigs who peel wigs"

Ok... one more.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=soTya8ZB3VU

"I put chumps to rest fast, when my smith-wes blast
    So just dash or trespass and get your chest smashed"

"I go bezerk when I put in work or do dirt, jerk
    So stay alert, no smoke, cause these knuckles hurt"

Hell: http://soundclick.com/share?songid=7133128

"Make my own way, no luck with me
    These skills are stuck in me,
    I'm like a condom with holes, you should not fuck with me"

"Knock out your breath with a punch to the belly,
    Take my knife out the freezer and give you cold cuts like a deli"

"I'ma tear it up, I ain't holding back, no resistance
    Fuck it I'ma go the distance, fire to the pistons
    Internal combustion, external malfunction
    I eat emcees, yeah rapper consumption"

"Rhymes are tight like a virgin, my anger's purgin
    And emergin to rearrange your face like a plastic surgeon"

"But they still gon' run they mouth, so I'ma end the bout
    You're best to drop out, or it's gon' be a round one knockout"

All songs I'd rather listen to.
    Last edited by ChvyVele; 02-02-2009 at 06:24 PM.

This is one of my all time favorites right here actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpQvuy5v3wg

ChvyVele

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    This is one of my all time favorites right here actually.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpQvuy5v3wg
    LMFAO, that's awesome.

how old are you chvy, 14?

ChvyVele

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    how old are you chvy, 14?
    Negative, why do you ask?

Eesti

Emmit - cool , I can respect that. The only thing I disagree with is how you separate hip-hop and rap. Hip-hop is the whole culture, hip-hop music is all music within the culture. It's all hip-hop whether people like it being called that or not.

Banned

"We don't do drive bys, we park outside your house and shoot"

kaneland14

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cq2esSrHbBo

i think this is em's song off relapse, not sure

opinions?

Banned

Not amazing, but glad he's back at it.

He sounds younger like his old self that we all loved.

kaneland14

i liked it too, not a #1 hit by any means imo, but still good

nice to see him back in the game

don't know if you've heard Touchdown by T.I. off T.I. vs. T.I.P., but em is fire on that song, i really started liking him after that song

Banned

Thats it??!?!

listen to infinite slim shady ep & lp, marshall mathers for em's real good shit

kaneland14

i like the songs i have heard off them, but i'm broke

i like all of his LP stuff and his mixtape stuff most definitely, but he just went off on some of the tracks on encore, he can get nuts

Banned

You don't have to pay for them...

albumhunt.com

but buy his new album when it drops, support that shit