Thread: Lil Wayne's New Single

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    you guys are crazy....

and there were no verses in the grammy family freestyle it's all one flow...he fumbles a bit, but that's cause he wrote it in his head right then, more or less.

ps. jest you STILL think "something like lyrical prowess isn't something that's all that opinionated a topic"

because i think it very much is, and weezy's vernacular and references are just lost on you.
    If his vernacular is something that I'm not catching.. then why haven't you bothered with trying to explain it? It's because Wayne doesn't have a special vernacular.

i think people like nas, guru, lupe and also the underground artists you listed (which your argument for was the same tired rehashed crap we hear all the time about how underground artists have integrity, blah, blah, blah) will never have as much charisma on the mic as wayne or em or hova.
    Nas is actually a bit more charisma than lyrics but that's neither here nor there. No idea why Guru is in this discussion and Lupe has just as much charisma as Wayne has.. maybe even moreso. And I never once talked about Integrity.. so I have no idea where that came from.

and if your underground artists wanted mainstream money but all the control of staying indepentdent, they could have it. Jay-Z never got signed. you realize that right?
    Uhmm.. Yes he was signed. To the Roc.. which Damon Dash had wheeled and dealed his way into getting legitimized by Def Jam. And Def Jam gave them a LOT of leeway. Don't mistake that for Jay having free reign since day 1... which he really didn't have.

if they're so hot, why not start their own label? because they don't have the whole package. they have some punchlines, but can't write entire songs real well. or they aren't relatable,....or they just don't have enough following outside of their neighborhood....or any number of reasons.
    Starting your own label isn't something as easy as that. You really have to have the money to put behind that. The only two people in the history of hip hop to "start their own labels" or even come close is Master P and Lil Flip. Both of which afforded their independent labels through other businesses.

But why would you try to start your own label when there are options like Koch that are out there where you make a damn good amount of money... with again.. a fraction of the cost. I mean hell the last Jay "freestyle" that you linked mentioned Koch and that was in '06.

you're placing too much importance on what they write not realizing that their flow is dookie.
    Really? Crooked I's flow is vicious. Slug's (aka the MC from Atmosphere) flows damn near flawless. Cage's flow is immaculate. Apathy is iller than your favorite up and comer and Copywrite is a picture perfect representation of flow. The dudes that I mention are not new and they are not flawed. The sell records... and a LOT of them and it's not a mistake. They've been in the industry for a LONG time and it's not a mistake. I mean look at The Pharcyde and Mos Def. These dudes are still considered "Underground." You really gonna say they have no flow?

Wayne, Em, Jay, Red, Clipse...people like that are just at home on the mic and everything works together. they have the ENTIRE package, sick punchlines, deep bars, catchy hooks, good beat selection...and whether they spit normal ass shit or some deep introspective concept track, they do it in a way that's relatable and incredibly interesting to listen to....
    A LOT of emcees are capable of that though. Honestly. No joke. I mean I really only have to link one or two songs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lKYVs9OoFFU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzIZWhZ8XA

for the last time.....you just don't appreciate it, but that doesn't mean it sucks.
    This is where you're mistaken. The very first post I made in this thread said "I can understand why people like it.... BUT"

My only objection was the classification of "lyricist" which I don't feel he deserves. I'd debate just as much if Mims, Soulja Boy, or Nelly were mentioned.

i can't take you seriously, no matter how many iliad-length rebuttals you type, when you keep saying things like "slug's flows damn near flawless"

slug has ZERO flow. he's just annoying to listen to. it's like saying TPHS animations have more style than PJ...

i can't take you seriously, no matter how many iliad-length rebuttals you type, when you keep saying things like "slug's flows damn near flawless"

slug has ZERO flow. he's just annoying to listen to. it's like saying TPHS animations have more style than PJ...
    As much as you try to write me off though.. the fact is.. you haven't even bothered to listen to ANYTHING that I've linked throughout this entire thread.

I mean how can you critique something when you won't even LISTEN to it?

Anyone interested in giving me the benefit of the doubt would... at the very least listen to this... and tell me if it sounds like dude has no flow.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkzIZWhZ8XA

i listened....i just don't enjoy his flow.

and why is it okay for him to say "live to work to live to work to live"
    but when weezy says "re-up stretch it and flip it, re-up stretch it and flip, re-up stretch it and flip it, re-up"...you say he's just repeating himself?

there really wasn't anything impressive in that song. it was a good song. but nothing that says "this guys flow is sick"

it sounds like a white linkin park type of dude rappin...that's it.

i listened....i just don't enjoy his flow.

and why is it okay for him to say "live to work to live to work to live"
    but when weezy says "re-up stretch it and flip it, re-up stretch it and flip, re-up stretch it and flip it, re-up"...you say he's just repeating himself?

there really wasn't anything impressive in that song. it was a good song. but nothing that says "this guys flow is sick"

it sounds like a white linkin park type of dude rappin...that's it.
    Actually... I never said anything about repeating as a negative. When used properly it works really well. You're confusing my words with other peoples... which just shows how little you're paying attention to what I am saying.

And it's sad that you had to add "white" in front of "linkin park type of dude rappin." Considering that Linking Park's rapper is Mike Shinoda, who is Japanese AND that Slug sound NOTHING like Mike Shinoda. Which goes further to prove your close minded way of thinking.

What about www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURRPZLTHUg

?

Does that MC have no flow either?

kind of hard to pay attention to jest you (see what i did there? better than anything nas has written) when 90% of everyone in this thread doesn't like wayne.

and i added white because the linkin park dude ISN'T white....this may be another reason why you don't get weezy. your comprehension is pretty bad. like saying it sounds like a white big daddy kane (which it doesn't i'm just using an example)

so i'll clear it up for you....it sounded like an average white guy rapping in a style that's as bad as linkin park. do you understand yet?

ps. i like crooked I, i just don't consider him better than anyone i've listed....and you already posted that video on the FIRST page......shows how much you know about whether i'm clicking your links or not :/

kind of hard to pay attention to jest you (see what i did there? better than anything nas has written) when 90% of everyone in this thread doesn't like wayne.

and i added white because the linkin park dude ISN'T white....this may be another reason why you don't get weezy. your comprehension is pretty bad. like saying it sounds like a white big daddy kane (which it doesn't i'm just using an example)

so i'll clear it up for you....it sounded like an average white guy rapping in a style that's as bad as linkin park. do you understand yet?

ps. i like crooked I, i just don't consider him better than anyone i've listed....and you already posted that video on the FIRST page......shows how much you know about whether i'm clicking your links or not :/
    My comprehension is just fine. I just don't measure MC's by race. If someone is dope they're dope. If they're wack, they're wack. "White" "Black" "Asian" isn't a sound to me. But since you apparently hear in color... I'm going to link you to tracks and ask you what race they are.

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5491792798662f06/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/5491798080164e7e/

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54918173a6f3911d/

It's also funny that you choose to ignore the fact that Slug sounds absolutely NOTHING like Mike Shinoda... which invalidates your entire explanation and subsequent retort.

And I know that I posted that Crooked I track earlier. I did it intentionally. It's not the first time that I've reposted a track during the course of this thread. Which shows that you really DON'T listen to want's being linked.

craz

Your right, Slug doesn't flow well. It's not his style. He is a story teller. But his flow beats the hell out of wayne. Wayne goes out of his way to sound off time and it just sounds bad. There hasn't been a recent rapper with the 'total package' recently because there doesn't need to be one. The closest I can think of for recent times has to be Ludacris. And really, trying to branch out and hit the 'total package' is only going to make you crap/mediocre at everything because your trying to do to damn much. It shows easily when someone is straining to make a punchline or to tell a story.

yeah, but to me and a lot of other people it sounds soooo perfect. you have to know the rules to break them (lyrically, poetically, etc.) and he's so nasty because it all just seems effortless. he's on another level, some people just don't get it.

like when you're joking around with your friends and you're just goin off on your own shit, and you're all on the same wavelength so you can make jokes that seem like they don't make sense but they really do on some other shit. old references, shared memories, all that.

that's weezy. and perfect comedic timing and style complete it.

this thread started because of a single. a single on an album which i'm anxiously awaiting the release. Lil Wayne's rock album entitled "Rebirth"...he's a musical genius, but most people can't see past his subject matter.

dude said
    "yeah i do it big, call me lil astronomical,
    weezy f baby and the f is for phenomenal,
    type of n**** get his whole hood 'cross his abdominal,
    check my watch bitch i was rich a long time ago,"

cheers, this is just my opinion.

ChvyVele

dude said
    "yeah i do it big, call me lil astronomical,
    weezy f baby and the f is for phenomenal,
    type of n**** get his whole hood 'cross his abdominal,
    check my watch bitch i was rich a long time ago,"
    Yeah but... phenomenal doesn't start with an "f"...

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    My comprehension is just fine. I just don't measure MC's by race. If someone is dope they're dope. If they're wack, they're wack. "White" "Black" "Asian" isn't a sound to me. But since you apparently hear in color... I'm going to link you to tracks and ask you what race they are.
    Yup.

"Yeah but... phenomenal doesn't start with an "f"... "

haha, seriously...you're joking right?

Eesti

First off i'm new here so my name is Eesti blah blah blah......

For the Lil' Wayne fans, how old are you?

Honestly, it's an honest question.

Music is a lot like literature. You have your literary masterpieces and you have your best-sellers. The difference between the two worlds is that people more often than not can easily distinguish between the great novels and a novel that is selling a great amount of copies. People seem to understand better that their beloved Danielle Steele or Dean Koontz novel, though entertaining may not be of the highest literary standards. It's easy, it's fun to read and it does't really challenge your mind. Kind of like Dan Brown novels. So with that said there is no argueent that because you are selling multi-platinum amounts that it verifies your skil in the art of hip-hop or any other form of music.

As time passes and you get older you listen to your older music. Music that you were convinced was the greatest audio ever made, five or ten years later it's not so fresh anymore. Music you were convinved was garbage you find yourself understanding more and realize that it is infact quite good. Your mindset back in the artists heyday was what prevented you from hearing that. Not always but sometimes. This goes both ways for the underground heads and the mainstream afficionados.

So with that said, one mans trash is another mans treasure. The test of time will define great artists and how well their music weathers the years.

Personally at 30 years old and raised on hip-hop it's more than obviuous that Lil' Wayne is a Danielle Steele novel. Nas is closer to a Tolstoy. I like it all and enjoy the music for what it is but people will not be talking about Lil' Wayne five or ten years from now. He's a best-seller not a literary master, it's obvious. Some of it's catchy and I find myself bobbing my head to it occassionally but the arguement of him being a great lyricist is baseless. The lyrics he writes or does not write are only a notch above Paul Wall. You literally have no soul or grasp of the hip-hop culture if you are putting Lil' Wayne above Nas or even on the same level. Nas gets respect from the whole industry, Lil' Wayne can't say the same.