Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lil Wayne's New Single

kaneland14

Default Lil Wayne's New Single

Who else thinks it's absolute Shit, here's a link to it, it's like autotune pop, but he's sellin it a rock

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKflA2xvGTE

ablindkid666

i wanted to kill myself

haha, i like it. he's been branching out for the past couple years. he'll try anything, but it doesn't end up soundin gay like Kanye's garbage.

his Bad.Ass.Grasshopper stuff is mad different but sick too. came out like two years ago.

he's also got a new track called "yes" that's just FIRE...he's definitely on top of his shit. dude LIVES in the studio.

kaneland14

He is the most talented and versitile artist even imo, an i admire his courage for trying to branch out so mucj, but this is horrible, i miss the wayne from tha carter 2 and before, when he was solely a rapper

I really don't understand why so many people are feeling Wayne. I mean... well maybe I should reword that. I can understand why people like his music, even if only due to the fact that it's plainly different strokes for different folks.

But I REALLY don't understand why people are feeling Wayne lyrically. It just doesn't make sense when there's so many rappers out who surpass him in so many ways. For example:

Crooked I:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZURRPZLTHUg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mh-ycEfF0JM

Joe Buddens:
    http://www.imeem.com/people/9PaTgr/m...ere_freestyle/

Copywrite:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CdM2NtYqglA

Black Milk:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3g8aUl1DkYE
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sU0FmHg5WCc

and hell Pharoahe Monch's been killing it for years:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCUt-jYcnw8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6-FYAngvc

I mean... there's just so MANY artists out there that rap circles around Wayne. I didn't even touch on dudes on Majors like Em, Jay, Nas, etc..

And just to not be completely off topic I can't stand that Prom Queen track. I can really only listen to that track he did with Kanye on 808's and Heartbreak. Everything else just bugs the shit out of me.

Steam
    :)hello:)_goffer
    XBL
    soapskumm

wayne is garbage... always has been. Jest knows his stuff though not a fan of Black Milks emcee style but his beats are dope... others to check out:

onebelo - Originally from Binary Star whom he worked with Senim Silla... amazing emcee.
    People Under The Stairs - more a group, but all good late 90's type feel shit... love it!
    John Robinson - he recently released a colab with DOOM's instrumentals
    Aesop Rock - a bit differnt if you like the abstract side of hip hop... A lot of his work is produced by blockhead.
    Kenn Starr - Probably one of my favorite upincomers... Starr Status is probably oen of my top favorite albums of the last few years.
    Blu - Another fresh dude... his colab with exile is FRESHHHHHHH
    Blue Scholars - Good shit... a bit of a hip hop movement forming in seattle... beats are dope, sabzi is the man.

I could really go on...

either you're feelin it or you're not. i'm a lyricist and can appreciate the intricacies and subtleties that a lot of you i'm guessing miss.

didn't look at the whole list, but Joe Budden? are you serious? he's aiight, but he's NOT on weezy's level by any stretch of the imagination. that's just an insult.

i'll agree on em and jay, but nas ain't on any of their level either, i said it.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    either you're feelin it or you're not. i'm a lyricist and can appreciate the intricacies and subtleties that a lot of you i'm guessing miss.

didn't look at the whole list, but Joe Budden? are you serious? he's aiight, but he's NOT on weezy's level by any stretch of the imagination. that's just an insult.

i'll agree on em and jay, but nas ain't on any of their level either, i said it.
    You know.. I'm not a Buddens fan actually. However if you listen to that track that I linked.. it blows away anything Wayne has ever made in his life. And to say that someone who wrote lines like "I'm the bomb like tick tick" is above an artist who made Ether, One Mic, If I Ruled The World, and Nas is Like, that makes me wonder what exactly your consider lyricism.

EAT BRICK KID

Lil wayne cannot write lyrics for shitt.

I mean, His rapping voice and flow is cool..(He does good in the ludacris song and Games song.) but he just sucks at writing lyrics.

"I'm rare, like Mr. Clean with hair."

-Wayne

"The darker the berry, the sweeter the juice, I say the darker flesh, the deeper the roots.. I give a holla to my sisters on welfare..tupac cares, but dont nobody else cares."

-Tupac. (My fav pac line.)

you're quoting wayne's radio stuff against nas's album cuts...that's not gonna produce a fair comparison.

Nas: made you look...you need only listen to the first verse to hear piss poor filler lyrics at their finest. that's bush league. hell listen to the whole song and find one hot bar, i dare you. jada and luda killed the remix though, i'll give 'em that.

Weezy: these lyrics shit on Nas' whole catalog, and this is just some weezy mixtape shit!!!! he sooo nasty.

and to the dude that brought up pac...again you take one weezy humorous line against one of pacs more thoughtful lyrics. what if u put "i get around" for pac...would the comparison be the same? no....i think you guys just aren't into rap as deep as i am or something. i feel like im talking to a wall.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 01-29-2009 at 11:37 AM.

Darkslide

Wayne is not lyrical I'm sorry. I cant take a guy who pushes garbage out weekly, seriously. I know thats an exaggeration. He just isn't what people like to say he is. He's mainstream now(Yes IMO thats a bad thing) and he's begun to spawn more and more ignorant fans who think this is better than REAL music. I liked Like Wayne somewhat on the Original Carter. After that I stopped caring.

Using Auto-tune and saying one lines over and over in a song have become normal now and its dumb. Thats NOT music. Kanye fell into this and his album is just a disappointment. Wayne doesn't always do it. But he does it enough, which is too much.

Darkslide

Weezy: these lyrics shit on Nas' whole catalog, and this is just some weezy mixtape shit!!!! he sooo nasty.
    I hope you're joking about this song. I laugh at someone who listens to this. He has no rhythm in his flow. This beat sounds hot, but its hard to hear over this raspy, whiny voice as he cries about some girl he's apologizing to and wanting back.

my point was that nas shouldn't even be brought into the discussion. weezy said "what she means to me is what i mean to rap" that's naasty...and i can pick a thousand bars from nas that aren't even close to that. you can't pick one hot bar and compare it to a shit bar of someone else. that's sheisty and you only do it because you have no better argument. wayne is hated cause haters don't listen to his songs...just his collabos on the radio. if that's all you base it on are radio songs then none of the artists you brought up have a song to enter for comparison....feel me?

you're quoting wayne's radio stuff against nas's album cuts...that's not gonna produce a fair comparison.

Nas: made you look...you need only listen to the first verse to hear piss poor filler lyrics at their finest. that's bush league. hell listen to the whole song and find one hot bar, i dare you. jada and luda killed the remix though, i'll give 'em that.

and to the dude that brought up pac...again you take one weezy humorous line against one of pacs more thoughtful lyrics. what if u put "i get around" for pac...would the comparison be the same? no....i think you guys just aren't into rap as deep as i am or something. i feel like im talking to a wall.
    Actually all those Nas tracks I listed were Radio Singles. If you want.. you can take Ether out of there since it was a diss track. Let's compare some of the lines of the joint you posted to some Nas lines.

Wayne Quotes:
    "Nigga feelin' like he at the bottom like a horse shoe"
    "Give me another chance, I'm needin' it like a kidney"
    "You were the pistol to my holster .. BANG!"
    "What she mean to me, is what I mean to rap (what I mean to rap)"

Nas Quotes from Nas is Like:
    "Nas is like.. Earth Wind & Fire, rims and tires
    Bulletproof glass, inside is the realest driver
    Planets in orbit, line em up with the stars
    Tarot cards, you can see the pharaoh Nas
    Nas is like.. Iron Mike, messiah type
    Before the Christ, after the death
    The last one left,"

Just that Earth Wind and Fire line shits all over the What I mean to Rap line simply because Wayne is only a legend in his own mind... while Earth Wind and Fire undeniably legendary.

The unquoted parts of that Wayne song are emotional.. that's true. But emotional conveyance does not mean lyricism. I also wouldn't say that Pac was a lyricist either.

When I talk lyricists I'm talking about dudes who really work magic with the language. Metaphors, Similes, and Personification, all have to exceptional.

Edit: I should clarify though.. That I'm not saying that conveying emotion isn't important in an MC. Just the opposite actually. But a lyricist is better with the clever lines. Wayne makes songs that some people like to listen to yes... but none of his lines are actually impressive. At least... not in comparison to a LOT of other emcees out.

Personally though, I don't like anything that Wayne does.
    Last edited by jest118; 01-29-2009 at 01:21 PM.

"I also wouldn't say that Pac was a lyricist either."

nevermind then, we have two completely different definitions of lyricist.

and just because you don't get his references, doesn't mean he isn't making them.

ps. those nas lyrics you quoted aren't that impressive, especially considering he had time to write them (it was an album track) and weezy writes his songs during the session a lot of the time (that song was a mixtape track). i also notice you didn't quote made you look.

"When I talk lyricists I'm talking about dudes who really work magic with the language. Metaphors, Similes, and Personification, all have to exceptional."

^^ this is why i think you either haven't heard much weezy other than radio, or you don't get what he's saying...because he's all of those.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 01-29-2009 at 03:17 PM.

EAT BRICK KID

He cant write his own lyrics.. or at least he doesnt put that much thought into it.

and he is very succesful?? How??
    I guess people just like his voice, and the songs that feature him (cause you know he dont write any of those lyrics.)

you've been misinformed. weezy write his own shit. he also plays guitar.
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 01-29-2009 at 03:40 PM.

"I also wouldn't say that Pac was a lyricist either."

nevermind then, we have two completely different definitions of lyricist.

and just because you don't get his references, doesn't mean he isn't making them.

ps. those nas lyrics you quoted aren't that impressive, especially considering he had time to write them (it was an album track) and weezy writes his songs during the session a lot of the time (that song was a mixtape track). i also notice you didn't quote made you look.

"When I talk lyricists I'm talking about dudes who really work magic with the language. Metaphors, Similes, and Personification, all have to exceptional."

^^ this is why i think you either haven't heard much weezy other than radio, or you don't get what he's saying...because he's all of those.
    Couple of points here. Mixtape or not, that's a written track. If you believe that artists actually put their "B" material on mixtapes or that the majority of these artists Freestyles are really completely spontaneous then you're clearly fooled.

A good artist will have prepared lines and entire verses committed to memory. That's not even including songs that were recorded for previous albums that didn't make the album cut. All it is, is a stockpile. So to say act like Wayne's mixtape tracks are any different than his album tracks is just plain wrong. All of them are written.

And as a sidenote... Mixtape Tracks usually contain the most quotable lines an artist puts out. Mixtapes are about showcasing skill while albums are about concept tracks.

That segment from Nas verse was loaded with more imagery and similes than that whole Wayne track. Remember nearly everything he states is what he's "like" just with repeating "Nas is like" before each comparison. So he's saying...

"Nas is like.. Earth Wind & Fire ( He's Classic/Legendary), rims and tires (He's Flossy/Expensive)
    Bulletproof glass, inside is the realest driver ( He's Untouchable and Skilled)
    Planets in orbit, line em up with the stars (He's one of the Greatest)
    Tarot cards, you can see the pharaoh Nas (In the future He'll be King)
    Nas is like.. Iron Mike (He's Dominant), messiah type
    Before the Christ, after the death
    The last one left,
    " (He's a godsend that can never be stopped. He's a prophet)

Come on man.. this is no contest. Oh.. and you asked for a line from Made You Look.

" but don't say my car's topless, Say the titties is out"

Which is still better than everything in that Wayne track with a possible exception to the Hip Hop line.. but that REALLY depends on what you think about Wayne. I mean I could use the exact same line about a female that I think is useless and it would take on the completely opposite meaning. That's sloppy writing... so no he doesn't meet the requirements that I look for.

Oh.. and Pac wasn't a lyricist either. His strength was always in his emotion. He expressed himself in a way that was very relatable and touched many people. But he was not masterful with his words.

Please explain what it is I'm "missing" in these Wayne lines. Because at best all of his lines are either plain and obvious (ex. Horseshoe line), misguided (Kidney line), or don't make sense (Pistol to Holster line).

Darkslide

I dont have any resources or links or anything to provide as proof, but I could have swore He had a ghost writer Prior to Carter 2.

EDIT: I'm talking about Wayne just fyi.

And Jest You put my thoughts into words man. I could never devise what you just typed myself. I honestly cannot understand the sudden hype surrounding Lil' Wayne. How can he possibly call HIMSELF, the Greatest Rapper Alive? smh
    Last edited by Darkslide; 01-29-2009 at 04:25 PM.

ChvyVele

I got up to the part where Emmitt said that Weezy was better then Nas and I cried. Weezy is bad, plain and simple. He rhymes the same words together and it's like listening to a retard. Here's a real rapper...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9M0WiuaqCLI

"Far from broke got enough bread, and mad hoes ask Beavis, I get nothin' but head."

Illin.

"Couple of points here. Mixtape or not, that's a written track. If you believe that artists actually put their "B" material on mixtapes or that the majority of these artists Freestyles are really completely spontaneous then you're clearly fooled."

i never said it was a freestyle, i just said nas had a lot more time to write his (being that it was on an album) and weezy writes his mixtape shit (i said he writes it not freestyles off the top) in the studio right before he spits it. jay-z writes in his head (jay-z is the sickest lyricist ever, if you don't think that then there's no helping you).

and i also know that there's a difference between an off the top freestyle and a freestyle on a mixtape (which just means it hasn't been on a legit track yet).

and i understood everything nas said before you typed it out for me....it doesn't make it deep.

i bet you like a lot of backpack rap and shit like that am i right? atmosphere and that garbage? because you don't understand where i'm coming from at all and obviously can't hear what i and other fans hear in weezy.

*exit emmit

omg, i just saw that you quoted the "titties" line...HAHAHAHHAHA...damn, that's a corny line, sorry
    Last edited by EmmitBrown; 01-29-2009 at 04:35 PM.

kaneland14

i really like wayne as a lyricist and a rapper, but liie kanye, he should just stick to rap, although i admire his courage to go way out of his comfort zone and putting himself out there.

To emmit:yes, he does play the guitar, but he is a very bad guitar player, watch the last 20 secs of the leather so soft video or the CMA's where he played guitar while kid rock sang all summer long

kaneland14

About pac and nas, i'm only 15, so they were alittle before my time, but i do have a few songs with nas, letter to the king by the game off LAX and My President by Jeezy off the recession and i really do enjoy those verses and they each have a few good lines and from what ive heard of pac i dont think he was as much of a lyricist, he just expresses himself very well

What do you guys think about Notoriois B.I.G lyricist or good at expressing himself

"Couple of points here. Mixtape or not, that's a written track. If you believe that artists actually put their "B" material on mixtapes or that the majority of these artists Freestyles are really completely spontaneous then you're clearly fooled."

i never said it was a freestyle, i just said nas had a lot more time to write his (being that it was on an album) and weezy writes his mixtape shit (i said he writes it not freestyles off the top) in the studio right before he spits it. jay-z writes in his head (jay-z is the sickest lyricist ever, if you don't think that then there's no helping you).

and i also know that there's a difference between an off the top freestyle and a freestyle on a mixtape (which just means it hasn't been on a legit track yet).

and i understood everything nas said before you typed it out for me....it doesn't make it deep.

i bet you like a lot of backpack rap and shit like that am i right? atmosphere and that garbage? because you don't understand where i'm coming from at all and obviously can't hear what i and other fans hear in weezy.

*exit emmit

omg, i just saw that you quoted the "titties" line...HAHAHAHHAHA...damn, that's a corny line, sorry
    Backpacker Rap eh? You didn't even bother clicking the links that anyone else provided did you?

I completely understand that different people have different tastes. But something like lyrical prowess isn't something that's all that opinionated a topic. Either you're very technical with your words, or you're not. Wayne simply is not.

Quote Originally Posted by kaneland14 View Post
    About pac and nas, i'm only 15, so they were alittle before my time, but i do have a few songs with nas, letter to the king by the game off LAX and My President by Jeezy off the recession and i really do enjoy those verses and they each have a few good lines and from what ive heard of pac i dont think he was as much of a lyricist, he just expresses himself very well

What do you guys think about Notoriois B.I.G lyricist or good at expressing himself
    Big was always a lyricist first and foremost, though he was quite a storyteller as well. Especially when he portrayed himself as Frank White.

EAT BRICK KID

you've been misinformed. weezy write his own shit. he also plays guitar.
    you have got to be kidding me?

He wrote his lyrics for "My life"???
    and oh god, dont get me started with him on guitar.

BSer34

Did someone say Auto Tune? Haha, it's not T-Pain, dont worry. It mocks people that use it. One more, these three are the future of hip-hop.

I'm more on Emmitt's side on this one. What Wayne puts on the radio is not the same as his mixtape stuff. He knows what sells to the masses and is smart for doing it.

Also don't kill him for the guitar playing. The fact that he can is rare in rap. People kill rappers saying they aren't musicians but one of my favorites, BoB (he's in the video I posted at the beginning) plays guitar; electric and acoustic, french horn, piano, and at least one more that escapes me. It's good for rap that some of these guys are showing they have other musical talents.

Oh and I hope Kanye chokes on his mic one day. I hate that dude.
    Last edited by BSer34; 01-29-2009 at 11:52 PM.

damn, you want technical? here's three off the SAME mixtape.

any one of em can crush a nas album track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCVtA5Q1qSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjbXUvLyXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0I9daIA2AA

Banned

I haven't read this thread, but i can tell you right now Eminem is better than any rapper mentioned here.

Thats just how it is. Get ready for the Relapse

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EAT BRICK KID View Post
    you have got to be kidding me?

He wrote his lyrics for "My life"???
    and oh god, dont get me started with him on guitar.

First of all, My Life was The Games song, not Lil Waynes, he just did the chorus.

I can't believe i defended lil wayne, but you suck at insulting him.

EAT BRICK KID

Quote Originally Posted by Nelson View Post
    First of all, My Life was The Games song, not Lil Waynes, he just did the chorus.

I can't believe i defended lil wayne, but you suck at insulting him.
    dumbass.

people can write lyrics for you.. like if your featured in a song and shitt.
    think before u post.
    Last edited by EAT BRICK KID; 01-30-2009 at 09:20 AM.

Piss Peddler

i can't understand why people like lil wayne. can someone please explain what the see in him?

craz

As a lyricist myself, Wayne is pretty garbage. Ill give him credit that he gets on tracks that are not the typical radio beats, but everything else about him is just insulting to hip hop. Lyrically he can't flow like Aesop Rock, El-P, Styles of Beyond. He can't deliver punchlines like Celph Titled or Copywrite. And he can't even come close to story telling like Cage or Lupe Fiasco.

With most rappers on the radio, they all use the same formula. Mims described it best. "I can make a mill saying nothing on the track." It's true. It is all about the beat and the label. Take a shit rapper, give him a dipset beat or a Lil John and they sell a million. True meaningful hip hop is underground, and the real gems are there.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by EAT BRICK KID View Post
    dumbass.

people can write lyrics for you.. like if your featured in a song and shitt.
    think before u post.

I know that, Like eminem wrote dr dre's verse in crack bottles, i was just saying the example you used was horrible.

damn, you want technical? here's three off the SAME mixtape.

any one of em can crush a nas album track.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NCVtA5Q1qSs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXjbXUvLyXA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u0I9daIA2AA
    None of that was even slightly technical. The first two were just really horrible tracks. The first one had a dope beat but that's about it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aLU0K5CaPlI

Forward this to about 6:20
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guFW25bBumo

http://www.zshare.net/audio/54883438c3597fc1/

That's technical.

cutie3334

i've never reely been into lil wayne.
    i cant understand half of wut he says b/c he mumbles a lot. lol im more into pitbull and ludacris for rap

kaneland14

luda's not bad, and alot of my mexican friends like pitbull, he's not bad either

im leaving this thread because it's just a weezy bash fest.

even with the amount of music he has, he's still on average better than everyone you've listed.

top 3:

Hova
    Em
    Weezy

put all those "underground for a reason" artists somewhere in the late hundreds, capiche hater?

im leaving this thread because it's just a weezy bash fest.

even with the amount of music he has, he's still on average better than everyone you've listed.

top 3:

Hova
    Em
    Weezy

put all those "underground for a reason" artists somewhere in the late hundreds, capiche hater?

There IS a reason these artists are Underground. It's to make more profit off of their music. That's why the real money comes from Writing and Producing. Even owning a label doesn't make you all that much money.

You know how much profit you lose just in packaging alone? Keep it small and independent and the profit jumps exponentially.

But it's cool. At least mainstream labels can afford better videos with more rented sports cars and choreographed back up dancers.

kaneland14

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    There IS a reason these artists are Underground. It's to make more profit off of their music. That's why the real money comes from Writing and Producing. Even owning a label doesn't make you all that much money.

You know how much profit you lose just in packaging alone? Keep it small and independent and the profit jumps exponentially.

But it's cool. At least mainstream labels can afford better videos with more rented sports cars and choreographed back up dancers.

you just contradicted yourself

you said that underground makes more money, but then you said the mainstream can afford better vids with rented cars and back up dancers, which is it

yeah, kane. he did contradict himself. i stopped reading what he wrote when he quoted "don't say my cars topless say the titties is out"....that's just bad rap.
    nas has no charisma on the mic. he's overrated....just like guru and mcs like that.

not to mention, everyone knows the money is in touring. and you can't pretend underground artists make more doing shows.