Thread: Thrasher: Skate and Destroy, Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX, Aggressive Inline, etc...

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by replicant View Post
    That is the thing though. The game has to have a relative market to focus the title to and meet the bottomline.
    I'm not knocking inline because I know it does have a following and a good number of those involved would buy it.
    However, even with other niche crowds thrown in there it'd be a tough sell to a publisher.
    Something like THPS did so well simply because it also allowed the Platform gamers to get involved.
    Personally, I think a sim inline game would be fun, but I don't see it even remotely hitting a Platinum status in sales.
    And that's the wrong thing we are doing. We want Sim games to have platinum status in sales. The problem is there, but since money makes the world go round, well, things now are how they should be.

If it ain't making dollars, it don't make sense!
    ----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

i had a similar topic going a bit ago.

http://skatefluckit.com/showthread.php?t=9892

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Yup, I posted in it as well. Still talking to people trying to figure out who has
    what license and where some people I used to know are working at now.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

Glad to hear you're still looking into this!!

----------------------
    --> "I wont give up my real friends just to play that game alone at home with headphones on, isolated from social contacts. Why did u (EA) had to ruin a game that hard? Did someone just poop in your cereals? Are we to blame for this action? "

so what was your job at acclaim? what do you do now?

sounds like a cool gig

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    so what was your job at acclaim? what do you do now? sounds like a cool gig
    It started out as beta test work on Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX: Maximum Remix for Acclaim Max Sports. Then I was signed on as a Freelance Design Consultant (under Z-Axis Ltd) for Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 2 and BMX XXX (Formerly titled Dave Mirra Freestyle BMX 3). For those projects I did Alpha & Beta testing and worked with the R&D department. In a nutshell, I got to play the games alot. Plus I worked with the Level Designers in every aspect of the board creations. From initial ideas to layouts and then to creation/implementation of the environments. I stated before here how awesome it was to be part of the process of designing the levels on paper (both in text and visually) and then working with the framework and texture implementation before finally getting to ride the hell out of it. It's one of my favorite memories thus far in my life where I got to see my actual creative input and work make it into a game. I broke ties with Z-Axis and Acclaim in late 2002 when I had finished my work on BMX XXX and beta work on Aggressive Inline. Pretty much Activision was about to shitcan us all and I rolled out.

Working in the gaming industry was and can still be one of the most amazing jobs ever. You just have to be able to handle the fact that at any time your position in the company can be X'ed out unless you're the owner. I got started as a Beta Tester around 1995 for Origin Systems and never looked back. To this day I still test a ton of games. I just love to see how much I can break them. ^^

Now I run my own business out of my home building computers for people and upgrading/repairing/maintaining systems for my customers. It's not amazing cash, but I make my own hours, answer to myself, and do well enough to pay my bills. I also help my parents with their company which they sell knives and related products through.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3