Thread: "Seattle - My City's Filthy" - An Abstrakt Mini-Series

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Question "Seattle - My City's Filthy" - An Abstrakt Mini-Series

This is an homage to something very near and dear to my heart; Seattle's Hip-Hop scene. I live about a half hour North of Seattle off the main freeway, so while I can't call it my "hometown" I can say damn near every show I've ever been to has taken place there.

My goal, alongside the usual shameless whoring of my footy, is to get some names in peoples' heads. While the skating is my usual medio-core style, it's the music I'll hope will really stick. These are five of my favorite tracks (or, at least my favorite ones to skate to) by four of the biggest names (the other being a DJ and a female singer doing something kinda rappy) in Seattle.

Without any further adieu:

Track One: Made In Heights - "All The Places"

Comprised of the DJ from Blue Scholars, Sabzi, and a young female singer, this is just a cool track from the area.

Enjoy and berate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krome View Post
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Track Two: Grieves - "The Room We Hide In"

Transplant since re-transplanted, Grieves is on Rhymesayers, and seemed to have had his career blow up while living in Seattle. Useless trivia: Good friend and on and off roommate of the MC Type of The Let Go.
    this dude. this dude disappears for months then pops up with 5 full length vids in the span of 2 weeks.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Track Three: Blue Scholars - "Big Bank Hank"

Perennial favorites of mine, Blue Scholars embody the Seattle scene. Meeting at the University of Washington, both members of the group come from the real world and simply used their smarts to get ahead.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Track Four: Macklemore - "Life is Cinema"

Another one of my all-time favorites, Macklemore has become one of THE biggest names in my locality. Able to write just as well on serious topics as he does on humorous ones, Macklemore can rap about the false sense of value in material possessions such as a pair of shoes (See: "Wings") and make fun of rednecks (See: "American") all in the same set.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    XBL
    DonVigo

Track Five: The Let Go - "Searching For Sun"
    Credits: Sir Mix-A-Lot - "Seattle Ain't Bullshittin'"

One of the hardest working groups in Seattle if only by virtue of the members' solo work. The MC Type and Kublakai both have very active MC careers, and Captain Midnite generally spins more dance-centric mixes at many local clubs.

Apologies to those of you who dislike hip-hop, but if you miss this, you're missing out.

really dig track three and five nice tunes vigo