Thread: Thrasher: Skate and Destroy

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Stopped Pushing Mongo SpadedOne's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by bunnybcitu View Post
    Sorry, I might come off a bit biased but whoever said Thrasher was the best skating game before Skate is retarded. Yeah, it's good, it's a cult classic even. The learning curve was high but the difficulty is what people liked. However, as a full game, you gotta be kidding me, not even close. THPS2 alone was 10x better then Thrasher not counting the other additions to the series. Grind session is fun, but it's THPS without the star power or features, not really much difference.

If you're looking for some old playstation Extreme sports game nostalgia here's some of my favorites people don't really pay attention too.

Razor: Freestyle Scooter
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZlbi...eature=related
    Like Grind Session with scooters. I had fun with it.

Aggressive Inline
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t-Uos-GBOT4
    More well known but it still falls short on peoples memory.

Disneys Extreme Skate
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o6V0u...eature=related
    One of my favorites. THPS4 engine with Create-A-Skater and fun levels/characters. Loved it.

X-Games Skateboarding
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHSstRe67Dw
    I was in the minority of people who actually liked this but I really did enjoy it and I have fond memories.

Evolution Skateboarding
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IE2yd...eature=related
    If there was a skating game that had potential it was Evolution Skateboarding. It was the first game introducing create-a-trick and the gameplay wasn't horrible. It was fun and I enjoyed it a lot as a kid.

Honorable mention:MTV Snowboarding
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUEUx...feature=relmfu
    I don't know if you like snowboarding games, the obvious winners are SSX but this game was one of my favorites growing up. I liked the fast paced gameplay and it felt smoother/easier to pick up than any other ps1 snowboarding game available.

Dishonorable mention: BMXXX
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMO9Vr32d6A
    Since everyone is mentioning Dave Mirra, remember this crappy gem of art? This was suppose to change the way we look at video games as adults forever, haha. No.
    You should be castrated if you think you can get away with saying that any of those games are better than Thrasher: Skate and Destroy.

Razor: Freestyle scooter?

Disney's Extreme Skate?

I was a young person when the PS1 was kicking and I was still way too old to bother with Disney's Extreme Skate.

They made a game off of the kids movie about surfing penguins called "Surfs Up." Sounds right up your alley
    "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."

Blazing a Trail

Hahaha Disney Extreme

Hey guys,

I have played the game a bit more and have unlocked China Banks. Its getting a bit difficult hahaha

So I decided to just freeskate around like i would in EA Skate, then remembered that there was an expert mode. So I turned that on. What does it do? I can't notice anything different

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Magee View Post
    Hey guys,

I have played the game a bit more and have unlocked China Banks. Its getting a bit difficult hahaha

So I decided to just freeskate around like i would in EA Skate, then remembered that there was an expert mode. So I turned that on. What does it do? I can't notice anything different

You sure its on? You should be getting sloppy landings all over the place and have to use the catch button.

Hm, maybe it wasn't on. I will go back and try again a bit later.

As for the best skateboarding game before skate, in my opinion that it is Tony Hawk 2. Thrasher's campaign mode isn't fun in my opinion, and it is rife with weird glitches. Although, as far as realistic freeskate goes, thrasher is definitely the best for that before Skate came out from what I can tell.

Also, when do you unlock the manual? Every once in a while I will be skating around there will be a perfect obstacle to nose manual (as my Skate instincts tell me). But I don't have it. Or do I? :S
    Last edited by Boris Magee; 08-11-2012 at 07:17 PM.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Not sure man. I didn't actually beat the game. Just used cheats to unlock everything, switched to hardcore mode, saved, and never looked back. It's all about the freeskate anyway. There's a trick list in the pause menu. Sadly you dont balance manuals in this game though, the one thing it's missing from the Dave Mirra engine.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Boris Magee View Post
    Hm, maybe it wasn't on. I will go back and try again a bit later.

As for the best skateboarding game before skate, in my opinion that it is Tony Hawk 2. Thrasher's campaign mode isn't fun in my opinion, and it is rife with weird glitches. Although, as far as realistic freeskate goes, thrasher is definitely the best for that before Skate came out from what I can tell.

Also, when do you unlock the manual? Every once in a while I will be skating around there will be a perfect obstacle to nose manual (as my Skate instincts tell me). But I don't have it. Or do I? :S
    If I'm not mistaken, only one or two characters can unlock the manual. I'm not positive on that though. I'm pretty positive the blonde hair dude can't do it though.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Stopped Pushing Mongo SpadedOne's Avatar

Everybody gets one exclusive trick.

The manual is available to everybody.

L1 + square + up or down.
    "I don't want to talk to you no more, you empty headed animal food trough wiper. I fart in your general direction. Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries."