Thread: What makes a Skate video great?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default What makes a Skate video great?

I'm pretty new to the skate community so I'd really like to know what page the majority of you are on.. Is it the tricks you do, or how you film it more important?

I think after 3+ years of playing this game you'd think everyone has gotten down the gameplay and the tricks become less and less difficult to execute. Meaning, it's not the trick you do that's important, it's how you film it.. Am I on the right track? Again, I'm not trying to start anything or attack anyone, i'm just here because I want to get better, make better videos and understand this community better.

PS. I come from the THPS community where gameplay is everything and when we make videos it's what you're doing that's important, not how it's recorded.

That doesn't help, that tells me this is a video editing forum.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Its all over the place here. At one end you'll see some people doing generic tricks with the emphasis on a solid edit and filming. With others having the focus on trick difficulty, creativity and having their own style. We've got the arcade skaters too, skating unrealistic with crazy hippy flip stuff, very THPS ish.

Personally I prefer the trick aspect, be it a hard combo, double grind, popless, hard gap, ungrindable or simply a standard trick with creative or perfected use of animations. If it contains any of the above I don't care if the filming is sloppy. Essentially, using the tools provided to create something unique.

As long as you know what you want to do, and strive to do it in a satisfactory manner, you should be good to go. It always show when somebody doesn't have a clue why they did the tricks they did.

I can't stand watching bland or random footage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

Yes You Can!

Quote Originally Posted by knexzor View Post
    As long as you know what you want to do, and strive to do it in a satisfactory manner, you should be good to go. It always show when somebody doesn't have a clue why they did the tricks they did.
    This, a million times! When it comes to filming I think most people will like it if it doesn't get in the way of watching the tricks. Panbacks, clipping, jerky motions etc. mess up the viewing experience. Some guys have their own style of filming and some mimic real skate video filming. When it comes to tricks it is all very personal though, the majority here enjoys realistic(ish) tricks the most.

For me the most important thing is that it feels cohesive. Music, tricks, spots and edit should feel like it is striving towards the same goal.
    Member/Founder of CAP Faction