Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Official Put Your Board Where Your Mouth Is ***EDITED with Guidelines***

XBL
    crni1976

Default The Official Put Your Board Where Your Mouth Is ***EDITED with Guidelines***

***EDITED for some Guidelines laid down by The Man***

I. The challenger picks a TRICK OR LINE that he or she wants someone to pull off in-game. This can be something you are struggling with yourself, something out of the ordinary or extremely gnarly, or something you simply consider impossible in Virtual Fluckerland. If the challenger is out of ideas, he or she is at liberty to open the forum to take suggestions from others.

II. It has to be something REALISTIC, meaning that the challenger includes some real life footage of the trick or line that he or she is looking for.

III. Include a bit of a DESCRIPTION of the trick or line, pointing out what it is (considering stance and such) and mention at what point in the video or clip the challenge can be found (unless of course the clip actually is just one trick or line).

IV. Give it some time for contenders to send in a submission. This can be a YouTube link, a link to your console Reel, or a link to some other source, as long as it is verifiable by everyone else.

V. ONE SUBMISSION PER PERSON. Contenders can try as much as they please to pull off the challenge and shoot as much footage or clips as they want, but at the end of the day, you have to choose very wisely which clip you consider best, in keeping with the technicalities, flow and feel of the original real life footage. Needless to say, only footage in HARDCORE MODE.

VI. There is NO SPECIFIC DEADLINE. The challenger can decide which submission lives up best to his or her expectations. Still, if you want to take a stab at something, better try it sooner than later since someone else might step in for the Eternal Respect and Glory in this little Fake Skater World.

VII. As soon as the challenger considers the challenge met, the person that sent in the most appropriate clip gets to pick a trick or line and the aforementioned cycle repeats itself.

VIII. If necessary, debate regarding the submissions is possible. Everyone is free to state his or her opinion. Just keep it factual, keep it polite, and keep it clean. I am confident things can get sorted this way, should need be.

***ENJOY***

Trying a certain trick repeatedly yet unsuccessfully tonight on my Xbox, I started wondering if it actually could be done to begin with. And then I had this idea. Why not throw it up for grabs, make a bit of a challenge out of it.

I am often blown away by some of the footage that gets posted here, and so I figured it would be great to see what is possible and what white rabbits could get pulled out of the hat.

So, the idea is this. The challenger posts a video and calls a single trick challenge. First one to actually pull it off and capture it on the reel posts his footage here and gets Eternal Fame and Credit for it. And as if that is not enough, I was thinking of making it even more interesting by giving out a bit of a reward to the one that lives up to the challenge. I was thinking of rewarding some Microsoft points or something (maybe 500 MP a pop?), but I don't really know if or how I can gift those. Plus, this would exclude the good people having only access to a PS3. So I am still trying to wrap my brain around this part, so I will take any suggestions or input.

Anyways, after the first person posts his footage featuring the challenge met, then this person in turn gets to set the next challenge, and so on and so forth.

There are probably still some details to work out, but I wanted to get the ball rolling. And so it goes, here is my challenge: I have been hung up on this amazing vid for the last couple of days and I would like to find out if someone is able to pull off the Jerry Gurney trick @ 01.52 (not even sure what to call this half cab to blunt to disaster to revert monster)!

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RqW3K-PJ2gk

Any takers? Thoughts, suggestions? Good luck!
    Last edited by crni1976; 12-05-2012 at 12:40 AM.

PSN
    BrySull

any trick is possible. its making it look good that's hard.

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by BrySull View Post
    What he said

EDIT: also mobile youtube link, wonn't work for us
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 11-27-2012 at 05:04 PM.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Quote Originally Posted by BrySull View Post
    what about impossibles?

I'm down for any prize that I have to play a video game to earn

Quote Originally Posted by Dead_Head View Post
    what about impossibles?
    3-shuvs. Folks get the 2 confused everyday

frenchy

There are a list of flatground tricks that arent possible in game but the most common ones are there
    yes that is me and tyler the creator

It's totally possible in s3.....just wont be as pretty.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

XBL
    crni1976

Maybe everything actually is possible in this little virtual fluckerworld, although that probably entails having to resort to a bit of a glitch sometimes to make it happen which can be a tedious (but of course very very very satisfying) process.

That being said, my challenge still stands (sorry for the mobile link earlier): the Jerry Gurney trick @ 01.53 (some sort of half cab to blunt to disaster to revert)! I welcome any efforts at actually nailing and filming this sucker!

good trick choice it gonna be hard to revert at the end
    5150-back2Basics-meth monsters

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

what about impossibles?
    closest i have managed

XBL
    TheDietTea

what about impossibles?
    Must be joking so many tricks that fuck up and look like impossibles in skate.
    I've done it with the shuv however.
    15:16
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NzevHQApg0

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Can it be a 180 out instead of a revert out? I only ask because if so I've gotten it about 20 times already, but trying to get only the second half of a trick ungrindable is pretty crazy.

I'll do the trick in real life, like he did, haha.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

XBL
    TheDietTea

Eh I actually thought about a series like this a long way back
    was going to call it callin out twan tuesdays or some shit
    The way skate works, someone might attempt a trick and think it's damned impossible
    while another person could look at it and instantly have variation ideas..
    I say do your best, post what you have, best one wins by vote.
    You need to think about having organized deadlines if you want this to be successful though.
    A few days or maybe the whole week to come up with the closest variation, and then a final vote.
    Get it going, I'd be down. I've got so much useless fake skate knowledge.

edit: one entry per person, once you enter, no more.
    Uh.. Variation of the week?
    Votw..
    Just a thought.
    Last edited by Antwan; 11-28-2012 at 03:55 PM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vU5I-H4Ks38
    My first one, it looks better but isn't technically as close as the other one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EMrQ_MOhpq8
    The more accurate, but also more ugly one.

If you're gonna roll with Antwan's one submission only idea, then roll with the second one I guess, since I feel it's technically more close to accuracy.
    Also only one video allowed to be posted? Weak.

It looked really good luft, but you did the trick a little different.
    it was a half cab to blunt, to back disaster, back revert out.
    you did a front 180 into a noseblunt into a front rock, basically.
    Think I got all the terms and stuff right, might be wrong though.

STILL, it was cool luft!
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 11-28-2012 at 05:06 PM.
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    It looked really good luft, but you did the trick a little different.
    it was a half cab to blunt, to back disaster, back revert out.
    you did a front 180 into a noseblunt into a front rock, basically.
    Think I got all the terms and stuff right, might be wrong though.

STILL, it was cool luft!
    whoops. Well shit, it'd be EASIER the other way, blunts back onto the coping are way easier than noseblunts. I wish I had known that. Oh well, I'm already off of the xbox for the night.
    EDIT: The fact that he's goofy foot and I'm regular is probably what tripped me up. XP
    Last edited by PoppySquidJr; 11-28-2012 at 05:24 PM.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah stance should be accurate, I wouldn't even count your entry yet if this thing isn't set up.
    It's just an idea.. we don't have to roll with it.
    Just seems like contests always have restrictions and rules
    and without those limitations, we're just posting into this thread whenever we can.
    I dunno.. just seems like you don't really earn anything in being given so much time to accomplish one trick.
    If we do want this to be official.. think of it like how Likebuttermag.com was doing clip of the week.
    We'll add our own twists to the rules, get a logo everyone can use in the beginning.
    Obviously open to discussion, throw ideas out if you have them.. this is just what I am thinking.
    Would be cool to have something unique for skatefluckit, a weekly thing even better.
    I'm thinking
    Variation of the Week
    VOTW #1
    Whoever is running this thing will pick a trick or sequence we have to re create as fluidly as possible.
    Obviously, week by week it will be a bit hard to pick out tricks so suggestions should be allowed.
    One Video in the thread. Doesn't mean you can't upload multiples to your reel or youtube and pick the best
    so long as you post it by the end of the week, no problem.
    Sounds good to me.. if you like this, cool.. feel free to add what you think needs to be done/doesn't belong.

edit:
    Here's a recap of how Clip of the week was being done
    http://likebuttermag.com/forum/topics/cotw-09-closed
    Last edited by Antwan; 11-28-2012 at 06:13 PM.

XBL
    crni1976

Fucking hell Luftwaffe! If only you did it switch since it's a half cab into blunt (well, going in fakie, you know what I mean) you'd have nailed it. I would go with your first attempt though since even in the vid it seems more of a 180 out (with little pop) than a revert I guess. But so that video of yours looks sick, if you can get it up switch, then you accomplish what I was aiming for, showing what can be done, doing what I haven't been able to yet, giving some trick tips and motivate me and others to try harder :-)
    I am on my way to work now, but I will get back to this thread later today to work out the details. Thanks for your input Antwan and everyone!
    Last edited by crni1976; 11-29-2012 at 02:15 AM.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    Fucking hell Luftwaffe! If only you did it switch since it's a half cab into blunt (well, going in fakie, you know what I mean) you'd have nailed it. I would go with your first attempt though since even in the vid it seems more of a 180 out (with little pop) than a revert I guess. But so that video of yours looks sick, if you can get it up switch, then you accomplish what I was aiming for, showing what can be done, doing what I haven't been able to yet, giving some trick tips and motivate me and others to try harder :-)
    I am on my way to work now, but I will get back to this thread later today to work out the details. Thanks for your input Antwan and everyone!
    I'll retry this again when I get back to the dorm this afternoon, see if I can't get it the right way this time :P

XBL
    crni1976

Having looked into the suggestions posted above, I am still trying to get my head around a good way to make this thread work and, more importantly, to make it fun and inspiring.

The reason I came up with this thread is because I was having a hard time with a specific trick (see above) and still haven't pulled it off, only to see Luftwaffe come up with something that is close but not quite true to the original yet (half cabs to blunt are a pain in the ass!).

I feel this should continue to be the focus, i.e. experienced, adventurous or prodigy players stepping in to help out others that are struggling with or doubting the sheer possibility of a certain trick.

So in this spirit it maybe would be best to avoid making too much of a competition out of it, since that would probably mean having to assemble some sort of jury to decide on both challenges and submissions, and having to deal with all the hassle that comes with it.

Maybe it would work best if someone just proposes a challenge for a trick or possibly line, backing the request with real life footage of said trick or line to keep with the realistic spirit of things. All those interested are then free to submit just one clip in this thread featuring their best or most suitable try filmed in virtual fluckerland.

I am thinking no fixed deadline might be needed as the person providing the challenge is free to decide if a clip lives up to it. So it might just take one submission or it might take a lot more. In case of debate, everyone is free to state his opinion to come to an agreement and move on.

As soon as the challenger is satisfied, he states so, leaving the person that first sent in a suitable clip to provide the next challenge or to open the forum to suggestions from other people. The first suggestion then is taken keeping in mind that is has to be a realistic trick or line (based on actual footage) that you have been struggling with or that you deem impossible in-game.

Contrary as to I originally suggested, it might not be necessary to actually use rewards, since most of us here will probably get stoked as it is pulling of challenging tricks and lines and getting due props for it.

I am hoping this makes sense, but I will give it some more thought in the weekend. Any feedback, thoughts or suggestions are still more than welcome.

In the meantime, I am looking forward to new submissions regarding the current challenge that is referred to above, since I still need to be convinced of its possibility!

Cheers

sounds more fun as you last described it than it being a contest.
    with contests there's always the biased and the butthurt.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

In the meantime, I am looking forward to new submissions regarding the current challenge that is referred to above, since I still need to be convinced of its possibility!
    Cheers
    I can get it the other way, but it's far less attractive and thus I haven't saved a clip yet. In hindsight, I should've just kept a few <_<

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    I can get it the other way, but it's far less attractive and thus I haven't saved a clip yet. In hindsight, I should've just kept a few <_<
    Do put something up, since I am convinced you can pull it off! :-) I succeeded to get from half cab into blunt a couple of times, but can't seem to get to the disaster part, let alone the 180 out

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Do put something up, since I am convinced you can pull it off! :-) I succeeded to get from half cab into blunt a couple of times, but can't seem to get to the disaster part, let alone the 180 out
    Getting an actual revert out is near impossible for me, but I can get a drop 180 out every good once in a while, like no popping, just dropping into a quick 180

Chief Alcohol Strategist momadaddy's Avatar
    PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

is this what you want mommy?

"Your friendship with xi SATORI ix has been broken"

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy123 View Post

That first pop. It confuses me immensely. XD

He did it!

XBL
    crni1976

Well, technically this is it! BUT, in keeping with the spirit of the original video, the pop used to go from the half cab into blunt should be kept to a minimum. Now I know this is possible since I succeeded in doing so (about two or three times out of numerous, numerous tries). It's the disaster/180 out that I get hung up on.

So it just needs a little more fine-tuning, getting close!

@ Luftwaffe: both 180 low pop out or dropping into a quick 180 would do just fine

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

lower pop. will try for no pop if necessary

Last edited by momadaddy; 11-30-2012 at 02:59 AM.

hahahaha i'm enjoying this

XBL
    crni1976

Okay, so now I am just curious if you can pull off lower or even no pop!! LOL

If not I think I can settle for this one. Awesome stuff momadaddy123, trick of the day, King for a Lifetime! Props go also to Luftwaffe for his submissions and efforts!

You can propose a new challenge momadaddy123 or you can decide to open the forum to suggestions from others. Either way you decide, the new challenge needs to be submitted with some real life footage that features the trick or line you are looking for.

Still, from now on contenders have to decide for themselves which clip to submit, since ONLY ONE SUBMISSION PER PERSON will be allowed. So choose wisely which one of your possibly various efforts comes closest to the spirit, groove and technicalities of the challenge at hand (so watch the footage closely for issues of stance and other subtleties).

The challenge ends as soon as the challenger is satisfied with one of the entries (public debate can be held if necessary, but keep it clean and polite). And so on and so forth.

Godspeed!
    Last edited by crni1976; 11-30-2012 at 05:09 AM.

PJ's front willy stall made that clip even better!

this thread is awesome...

im always stuck if i should ask someone to do a trick just so i can see if its possible...
    the only other time i did this was after 2 games i asked south to front hurry dub front blunt and he did it in like 3 sec...
    shamed all over my face money shot....
    still cant do them...

80% of the time im kinda forcing the game to glitch so i can do somethin...
    i wouldnt put that frustration on anyone...

someone figure out how to wallride out of grinds on any obstacle.....
    a year later and shit is drivin me nuts....
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

wallrides out of grinds will be the death of me

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

someone can suggest something i cant think of anything. the idea of a wallride out of a grind is very interesting though

XBL
    TheDietTea

There's a ton of skaters Moma
    How about
    Bert Wootton
    Richie Jackson
    Patrick Melcher
    Wallie Variations for days

Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

bert is so good

PSN
    momadaddy
    XBL
    momadaddy

i have never been able to make one of these look good like in this video. always wanted to so i say the trick @ 1:16