Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

I wish you the best of luck. Just try and get almost every trick in the books. My suggestions:

- Day/Night cycle
    - Double the clothing
    - Custom shoes
    - Realistic spots
    - Better bailing so it's more like a ragdoll. Maybe add hats falling off.
    - Tons of griptape
    - Realistic clothing movement (like shirt flying up and moving to the breeze)
    - Better sounds

I could go on, that's just a few ideas.

XBL
    crni1976

Hey, I have to admit your enthusiasm for this project is viral, but I do think that you need to think through very carefully where you want to be going with it before you sit down and talk to possible investors. Right now, it seems to me you are still headed in a thousand directions which is quite far from a proper project or any kind of business plan, and hence quite far from impressing said investors. Either way, all the best to you for taking this initiative! I hope you can work it out...

As far as a new game is concerned, I would personally like to see the return of the flick it system, although with more sensitive controls, since it is pretty damn hard to pull off subtle movements (I am thinking lip tricks especially) with the current controls, which often lack subtlety and speed. Same with the skater mechanics, I would like to see more fluid movements, both during skating and when off board.

Other good ideas in my book are definitely a day and night cycle, the possibility to throw or smack your board out of frustration, and the possibility to break a board or maybe even kingpin during skating, so you have to change your set-up. I would welcome more clothing as well, especially pants, and shirts.

And I would most definitely want to hear a better soundtrack. Although I have an eclectic taste in music, I am mainly into hardcore and punk myself, but honestly speaking, with the exception of a couple of songs, the scores of the successive entries in the series sucked some serious ass, and that needs to get improved. The thought of player customized or player created set lists crossed my mind but will lead to some serious copyright and royalty issues for sure.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading. Cheers,
    Last edited by crni1976; 12-01-2012 at 10:47 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    Hey, I have to admit your enthusiasm for this project is viral, but I do think that you need to think through very carefully where you want to be going with it before you sit down and talk to possible investors. Right now, it seems to me you are still headed in a thousand directions which is quite far from a proper project or any kind of business plan, and hence quite far from impressing said investors. Either way, all the best to you for taking this initiative! I hope you can work it out...

As far as a new game is concerned, I would personally like to see the return of the flick it system, although with more sensitive controls, since it is pretty damn hard to pull off subtle movements (I am thinking lip tricks especially) with the current controls, which often lack subtlety and speed. Same with the skater mechanics, I would like to see more fluid movements, both during skating and when off board.

Other good ideas in my book are definitely a day and night cycle, the possibility to throw or smack your board out of frustration, and the possibility to break a board or maybe even kingpin during skating, so you have to change your set-up. I would welcome more clothing as well, especially pants, and shirts.

And I would most definitely want to hear a better soundtrack. Although I have an eclectic taste in music, I am mainly into hardcore and punk myself, but honestly speaking, with the exception of a couple of songs, the scores of the successive entries in the series sucked some serious ass, and that needs to get improved. The thought of player customized or player created set lists crossed my mind but will lead to some serious copyright and royalty issues for sure.

That's it for now. Thanks for reading. Cheers,
    Thank you for your thought out reply, and honesty. I do appreciate being taken seriously, and all of the great things you guys have been suggesting, and recommending.
    I must agree however, that initially, I thought that I would just suggest that someone tackle the issue of getting the right pieces together to have people interesting in a new skateboarding game. I'm not entirely sure why I took any initiative myself, it's definitely out of character. As you'd imagine it's all a bit spread about on a desk, on a message board, and in my head. fortunately though, there is only one way that any accomplishments are going to be made, and that is support. I don't want money, and imagine that is a good place to come from. I'm hoping that this will eventually turn into a positive mission, that people will take seriously, but for now it's just down to getting the numbers together, others crunched, and arranging an initial idea. I will be sure to keep everyone posted on here, and share with all of you, before any decisions are made. because the reality is that you guys are the ones who inspired me. I thought the community was dying, but you guys keep the content coming, the positive encourage abundant, and that's what is going to keep me going. So again, just being patient, and crossing my fingers over here. Thanks everyone.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.

XBL
    crni1976

You're welcome. There's one more thought I wanted to leave with you... Watching bowl, pool or tranny videos, you can actually almost feel that moment of weightlessness to your stomach as the air or even liptrick hits momentum. It is very fleeting, yet almost tangible for a split second at the same time. I haven't quite experienced that yet playing the Skate games, or more specifically watching footage shot in-game, so it would be nice if it could somehow be conveyed in some future game.

That is all.
    Last edited by crni1976; 12-01-2012 at 01:17 PM.

XBL
    II zGinger II

Quote Originally Posted by Mage505 View Post
    I wish you the best of luck. Just try and get almost every trick in the books. My suggestions:

- Day/Night cycle
    - Double the clothing
    - Custom shoes
    - Realistic spots
    - Better bailing so it's more like a ragdoll. Maybe add hats falling off.
    - Tons of griptape
    - Realistic clothing movement (like shirt flying up and moving to the breeze)
    - Better sounds

I could go on, that's just a few ideas.
    I agree with Mage about his list and I like the idea of No Pros. Their should be random skaters. Like you would have certain locals that would be at one spot and certain locals at another spot. Their would be crowded days and then their would be those vacant days. Also a "Go Skate Day" should be added where you could skate with at least 10 people all at once in an online session or somethin' like that.

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

i say add like vx1000 so you can film, im sorry im just going picture crazy!!!!
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

Fluckin' Hatchling
    XBL
    RostovButcher

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Wait i've got an idea! We all know how Thrasher made a skate game with rockstar, called Thrasher: Skate and Destroy. So maybe if novel or maybe some of us could message Thrasher and maybe talk to them about a game. I feel like they'd be down to do it. Who's with me?
    This!

kinda random but I just thought this might be realistic.

Someone know anything about getting a game onto the steam network? They have a crapload of indie games. Some have a free-to-play business model.

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Getting Trasher to do another game would be fucking PERFECT. I highly doubt they have the funds for that though.

Gotta remember that the magazine market isn't super good.

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Ayreon View Post
    kinda random but I just thought this might be realistic.

Someone know anything about getting a game onto the steam network? They have a crapload of indie games. Some have a free-to-play business model.
    Getting a game greenlit on steam is an odd process. I'll have to figure it out eventually, myself.
    The artist formerly known as Luft