Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Permy View Post
    Scott and Jay own flickit
    not ea

also good luck
    I was about to say this ^
    Hoodlum Family All Rights Reserved ™ ® & Copyright © 2007-2012
    "dude i didn't go hard on this video thats what my welcome is gonna be" -RaginWarHero

I must say that I am super impressed with the amount of support you are getting from the homies on this...makes me remember why i ruv fluckit good luck to you and if theres anything I/we can do, just let us know

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    Last edited by llamasrock; 12-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by llamasrock View Post

I will say that I agree that the next game should be on PC. Like has already been mentioned: customization. If somebody gets bored with something or wants something changed- they just make a mod and release it for everyone. Ordinary people could make the game what they want. Isnt that a big reason why Counter Strike is still going strong after all these years? people making maps and such?
    exactly.

Bethesda did the same approach with skyrim and fallout. They are super open source. and think how much easier it would be to make vids. No need to uplaod to the site, then download. Just generate the footage right to your harddrive.

Make that possible on the console systems too. so people can just transfer it to their computer with a usb stick. Its a worth while thing to do. Even if the server ever die we could still make vids. and it would free up a lot of server bandwidth use.

Blazing a Trail SeksulChokolate's Avatar
    PSN
    Weird_JamJar
    XBL
    SeksulChokolate

There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    Hoodlum: Threat

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Quote Originally Posted by SeksulChokolate View Post
    There is a daunting problem with marketing a skateboarding game and that is to appeal to a wide variety of consumers. On one hand there are people who buy the game for the big air and massive bails and to have a bunch of laughs with friends. On the other hand there are consumers who are more attracted to the simulation aspect of the game and how close to realism they can achieve whilst playing the game. There needs to be a FLUENT transition between those two experiences.

In personal experiences friends of mine who do not skate pick this game up and migrate to the mega ramp. This is the case for most people who casually pick the game up. Because of this fact the game can offer a few designated areas for the "go big" causal gamers without sacrificing the integrity and realism that can be applied to the actual city. This is where skate 3 failed. They tried to make a city that would appeal to the casual player. Basically, creating a few "sandboxes" so-to-speak will be more than enough to make the big air wanters happy. This way you completely please both parties.

Also, as knex stated before, a big problem with the skate franchise was that they were too caught up with unnecessary details. They targeted immensely popular skaters and artists which cost them a pretty penny. By reaching out to more unknown markets (newer pros, ams, indie/lesser known artists) your game becomes a desired canvas for people to reach out to. These people seek exposure and a highly marketable skateboarding game will prove to be very appealing. As a result, more people become interested with the game due to the lure of exposure at a FRACTION of what it would cost to get big names into your game. This also adds to the down to earth, life like feel of the game.

That is all. /rant
    this is so on point...

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Sigh.

I encourage the enthusiasm, but the approach to this is all wrong. Your best bet would be to get a Kickstarter going, but in order for this to happen someone will have to do a shit-tonne of work to even get a simple budget/business plan going. On average a game takes 5 years from conception to market, and that's if you're building everything from the ground up. If you have an actual working engine up and running cut about 1 year off that plan. If you have assets up and running deduct an additional 6 months to a year. Don't even get me started on modelling and physics, both of which are very time and money consuming.

Let's say you get the $5 million in funding. Who's building the game? Are you infringing on any proprietary rights? Who gets to keep the profits?

Everyone says fuck EA but goddamn, they're a business. Why did the Skate series get killed? Not nearly enough return on investment. Whomever invests the $5 million will want their money back, with profits on top. Where will this revenue be generated?

Not dissing the plan, just totally dissing the plan.

The only thing that will provide satisfaction is a moddable pc game. Flight sim nerds, combat junkies and racing idiots (like me) have it made. Each can rely on a community of gamers that have the tools, skills, and maturity to develop a perfect game amongst themselves. Unfortunately we do not have a base-game to work from, as aforementioned communities do. And I am not confident that the Skate community has the coding chops to pull it off anyway. No hate. Its a good thing. Comes with the territory. Most of us are right-brain creative thinkers, not number crunchers.

So all we need is 1) an open-source skateboarding game engine, 2) about a dozen programming and design geniuses that happen to skate in real life and have time to dedicate a good portion of their life to a project that promises $0.00 dollars in compensation, and 3) a large community gamers willing to share ideas, encouragement, and constructive criticism.

<crickets>

Anything less will be a disappointment. Stop skating. Break your board. Go back inside and lock the door. Everyone thinks you are an antisocial loser anyway. Prove them right. Go learn C++.

Seriously though, I'd lend whatever skills and knowledge I have to a project like this. If some of us older guys with a little cash pooled our resources together, it's not unrealistic to hire a tech student or freelancer for a few thousand dollars to dev a simple engine. Then all of us can go nuts on the code, call in a pro when necessary. Of course all of the donors would end up hating each other, but potentially have something to show for it.

Just riffing. Maybe talkin shit. I know nothing about anything.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma