Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

I've started a very long email that I'm going to try to get into the hands of a
    Few people I think may have an invested interest in funding a new skateboarding sim.
    I can't really say who I'm attempting to contact or why I think they will be forced to comply with an initial donation and or funding, but I'm fairly confident.
    I'm no authority on the skateboarding community, or even the gaming community for that matter. If there is anything that anyone here feels should be mentioned in the letter, please feel free to add it here. Or email me: Christopherallensmith@gmail.com
    I'd like to send the full presentation out by January, by then I should have a better idea at what the full picture will look like. I'm taking this serious, and will not take no for an answer. If I need to, I can dump my savings into this, which isn't great but it's not a small number. This won't be a sequel to skate. In any way, but hopefully something in the same arena. If you're interested in contributing to the letter, and have any reasons you feel could grab an investors initial reaction please, email me.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.

more power to you,but i gotta be honest with you since EA owns the rights to "flickit" another game w/o it would be a letdown to me.
    i've tried messing around with THPS after playing skate and i can't do it,doesn't feel right anymore.

Blazing a Trail

i am really wondering if "flick it" is patented / protected... i've always heard you can't make a patent out of a software..
    and a similar system is used in Stoked...

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    i am really wondering if "flick it" is patented / protected... i've always heard you can't make a patent out of a software..
    and a similar system is used in Stoked...
    I think the EXACT control scheme is protected, since the ONLY similarity stoked has is the crouch and jump control. I think you'd run into issues with EA if you had all the same fliptrick controls, though.
    Regardless, I still play TH Proving Grounds on Sim Mode occasionally and have fun, I'm perfectly fine with a new control scheme.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Blazing a Trail

grab control is pretty much the same in stoked

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    grab control is pretty much the same in stoked
    More or less, but that isn't related to the flickit controls IIRC. I was referring to the issues you would get into if you copied the fliptrick function.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

The fact that EA owns the rights to the 'flick-it" controls, is a point that, if i'm not mistaken was brought up by myself in a earlier thread.
    I'm well aware of this roadblock, and have been almost losing sleep over a way to propose an offer to buy the patent outright. I'm well aware that
    this isn't pennies and nickels we are discussing, but more in the terms of hundreds of thousands or low millions. Which is why this is the first issue i'm going to be taking on
    when I find initial investors. Don't get me wrong, I am not a company, and have little experience with programming, and design. I intend to give the money to someone
    who can take over. I want little to no part in the design, and distribution of the game. Making an offer on the control patent is the first thing that I'm going to cover when I start with the calls this winter (most of them set up already) I'm going into this with little experience in raising money and presenting a solid plan. I'm a teacher foremost, although I do have a secondary degree in marketing. I have a feeling that it's going to get very real, very fast and it might be a bit overwhelming if we actually see money coming through. I've got my fingers crossed, and i'm not going to pretend this is 'in the bag' already in any way, I know outright that this is a shot in the dark. I just refuse to play the same thing for years on end, when, with a little bit of initiative, we might be able to procure ourselves a little piece of satisfaction.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.