Thread: Going to attempt to get funding for a new skate game. not skate 4.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

The only thing that will provide satisfaction is a moddable pc game. Flight sim nerds, combat junkies and racing idiots (like me) have it made. Each can rely on a community of gamers that have the tools, skills, and maturity to develop a perfect game amongst themselves. Unfortunately we do not have a base-game to work from, as aforementioned communities do. And I am not confident that the Skate community has the coding chops to pull it off anyway. No hate. Its a good thing. Comes with the territory. Most of us are right-brain creative thinkers, not number crunchers.

So all we need is 1) an open-source skateboarding game engine, 2) about a dozen programming and design geniuses that happen to skate in real life and have time to dedicate a good portion of their life to a project that promises $0.00 dollars in compensation, and 3) a large community gamers willing to share ideas, encouragement, and constructive criticism.

<crickets>

Anything less will be a disappointment. Stop skating. Break your board. Go back inside and lock the door. Everyone thinks you are an antisocial loser anyway. Prove them right. Go learn C++.

Seriously though, I'd lend whatever skills and knowledge I have to a project like this. If some of us older guys with a little cash pooled our resources together, it's not unrealistic to hire a tech student or freelancer for a few thousand dollars to dev a simple engine. Then all of us can go nuts on the code, call in a pro when necessary. Of course all of the donors would end up hating each other, but potentially have something to show for it.

Just riffing. Maybe talkin shit. I know nothing about anything.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

XBL
    YumyyyP & i enjoi hopps

BladderBoy it sounds like you've made a skate game before.
    But Defiantly I'd do anything to help this project.
    Maybe make a video where the proceeds would go to the funding of the game?
    Just a thought.

Edit: Like a Kony 2012 type shit
    Last edited by yumpancakes1; 01-10-2013 at 03:45 PM.

Blazing a Trail
    XBL
    SalamiAndreas

I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.

ignore this post

Last edited by i am a snail; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hurrf durf oh god i'm fucking retarded hurf 2 electric boogaloo

Quote Originally Posted by andreas View Post
    I think this new game needs naked players so I can watch tits jiggle while I do barefoot hardflips.
    This.

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal Face View Post
    Fuck, I'd do the concept art.

...I'd be shit at anything else haha
    i could maybe help with this

The issue at this point isn't even funding. That is still an issue, but the bigger issue is getting responses like "nobody is going to touch a skateboarding game if you hand deliver it to them on a silver platter". That's one response I received from a gentleman who works at a reputable gaming website. I was simply shooting ideas off of people I used to keep in contact with. It's pretty sad at this point. The only enthusiasm I've really received was from people at this board, and about 10% of the hundreds of emails that I've contacted.

The project isn't dead in the water yet, I still want to get this done.
    Whoever mentioned kickstarter, I know, man. I know.
    I'm working on getting a meeting with more people and hopefully putting a video together. If anyone knows any popular am skaters that would like to hype the project, I can take a plane out and put it on a video or something.
    I know I haven't written much lately on this thread, and I hope you all don't think I've given up. It may take until 2015 to get this is the water, but I promise to not give up on it. I still think about this everyday.

I'm sure there's more info I could include about what I've been doing and who I'm talking to, but until I have a more complete idea of what I can deliver, I'll just say that I'm still going on it. I can't quit. I love all of your ideas, and I want to get this made. As a fan, above all else.
    http://www.soundcloud.com/ironyokes
    Humble sample nerdhop for you.

XBL
    TheDietTea

That's pretty rad man.
    Did you explain to them that it would be different from all the other skate games?
    Probably wouldn't help much but two to three bullets, worth a shot.
    Just come up with some set in stone ideas. A Gripping Story, Memorable characters.
    The Game's Play style can come later, yeah?
    I don't know much about making these kind of things happen
    but I think if you have the right approach and that enthusiasm
    When you speak about something you have put time into making to interest others, it may show.
    It may interest.

Blazing a Trail

Waste of time, never gona happen

XBL
    TheDietTea

I don't know maybe the odds are minimal after seeing a game like skate fall
    but the fact that someone has a certain desire for a new one after seeing skate fall..
    Pretty Inspiring stuff.
    Some of the best ideas are forged man, Just like anything else in life you gotta work at it.
    Novel, You seem pretty serious about it. So don't give up on it.
    Consider yourself a developer at this point, maybe tell them what needs to happen
    what every one of your ideas and intentions are make a slideshow and business plan if needed.
    Make the serious part about it known man.
    I was also saying earlier there is some pretty good artistic talents around here just sitting.
    If we all were to contribute a little bit to making this happen
    I think our chances would be much stronger.
    Instead of saying hey, we have an idea for a skate game.
    We get our shit together maybe
    make some Blueprints, Sketches, Concept Art, Lines, Dialogue, a Story.
    So when it comes time to present the idea, you just gotta find that interest.
    We could then say Hey, Here's the whole game plan.
    Hand it over in a nice and neat package.
    There's no grey area if we have it all together right? You're interested or you're not.
    Last edited by Antwan; 01-20-2013 at 08:13 PM.