Quote Originally Posted by Legba View Post
True.
But thats different than saying something doesnt exist. Example: Half-Cab, Fakie 180, and Switch Nollie 180 all pertain to the same thing. But saying that 2 different grinds are the same just because theyre on the same truck? That's like saying smiths and feebles are really just 5-0s. (which we all know our beloved video game does sometimes lol)
eh it's not really different because when people say it doesn't exist, they're not saying that the trick itself doesn't exist as much as they're saying that the name doesn't exist.

Generally grinds earn different distinctions due to 2 things. Whether it's fs or bs and also the way you lock into a grind. I mean.. grinding a fs feeble is the same as a bs smith, at least, in terms of how the board is oriented. The distinction between the two comes from fs vs bs as well as how you're locking into the grind (and how your body weight has to be adjusted because of how you're locking into it). Same thing with bs noseslide and fs noseblunt (on handrails).

When you're landing into a Nosegrind and pushing it over.. that's a lot different than ollieing over and locking it into the already tweaked position and when you look at Overcrooks.. it's not often that people actually ollie over and lock it. It's actually pretty similar to a Salad grind. If a guy were to lock a straight up 5-0 and then tweak it into Salad.. would you really consider that Salad? It's just that people give a lot more leeway to Overcrooks and really.. that's something that's become a trend fairly recently. If I had to estimate, I'd say sometime in the last 6-9 years or so? I mean.. if every Overcrooks was an ollie over to lock in, then I'd probably change my idea on it but that's not how it is.

Really the two sides of the Overcrook argument both have valid points and people will never agree 100% on it. Like I said, it's Heel Varial vs Varial Heel. It's Fresh vs. Hesh. It's a million other debates that will last forever in skateboarding.