Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overcrooks on Handrails

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    i hear retarded people every day
    I guess it's a widespread disease.
    QFT IB4L

Quote Originally Posted by EG Fr0sty View Post
    What makes Briden more capable of answering a stupid question like this then anyone else on here???

You pretty much just said that Briden knows more about skateboarding then anyone else on this website.

Flame on!
    Sig'd
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

frenchy

briden knows a lot about fake skate also
    2 in 1
    yes that is me and tyler the creator

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    Sig'd
    Nice! Your like the local news, manipulate my words and shit. Hahaha
    GT - The Fr0sted Man

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    i'm perfecting sloppiness!

Nice!...the local news...manipulate my...shit. Hahaha

Steam
    i_am_a_snail

shit! Hahaha
    shit isnt that funny tho

What makes Briden more capable of answering a stupid question like this then anyone else on here???

You pretty much just said that Briden knows more about skateboarding then anyone else on this website.

Flame on!
    there can only be one
    5150-back2Basics-meth monsters

there are overcrooks on handrails. period. if you cant do them then you suck ass. end this dumb ass thread.

#skateboarding ruins lives
    Last edited by Hitmanx123; 07-07-2020 at 03:12 PM.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

Skateboarding is tied to my sex drive, & this tread is givin me some SERIOUS E.D.!
    I got that Fluckin' Love

I made this thread. I want it dead

I guess the folks who want everything to be nosegrinds didn't show up.

/thread plz

Fuck it, I'll step in here and be the dissenting opinion (to an extent anyways).

Overcrooks really only being possible on rails really eliminates it, in my eyes, as being anything more than just a name for a tweaked out nosegrind. Just the same as a Suski really only being done on coping, just makes it a stylized 5-0. In the most extreme cases for an overcrook.. it's a lot closer to something like Crooked Grind Transfer (on something like a spine for example) but that's a mouthful and doesn't make the greatest sense when not being applied to tranny skating.

As for the logic of "If there are no Overcrooks then there's no Crooks," it doesn't really hold as most people lock into Nosegrinds and sort of push over to get into the Crooks position, while the Crooked grind is a completely different lock in altogether than a Nosegrind.

But at the end of the day.. just like the Shuv it Heel, Heel Shuv, Varial Heel, Heel Varial debate.. you can call it whatever the fuck you want because the name doesn't matter.
    old psn: jest118
    new psn: jesthatesyou

Quote Originally Posted by jest118 View Post
    Fuck it, I'll step in here and be the dissenting opinion (to an extent anyways).

Overcrooks really only being possible on rails really eliminates it, in my eyes, as being anything more than just a name for a tweaked out nosegrind. Just the same as a Suski really only being done on coping, just makes it a stylized 5-0. In the most extreme cases for an overcrook.. it's a lot closer to something like Crooked Grind Transfer (on something like a spine for example) but that's a mouthful and doesn't make the greatest sense when not being applied to tranny skating.

As for the logic of "If there are no Overcrooks then there's no Crooks," it doesn't really hold as most people lock into Nosegrinds and sort of push over to get into the Crooks position, while the Crooked grind is a completely different lock in altogether than a Nosegrind.

But at the end of the day.. just like the Shuv it Heel, Heel Shuv, Varial Heel, Heel Varial debate.. you can call it whatever the fuck you want because the name doesn't matter.
    tl;dr i have no idea what you just said. overcrooks are real. nuff salad
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

True.
    But thats different than saying something doesnt exist. Example: Half-Cab, Fakie 180, and Switch Nollie 180 all pertain to the same thing. But saying that 2 different grinds are the same just because theyre on the same truck? That's like saying smiths and feebles are really just 5-0s. (which we all know our beloved video game does sometimes lol)
    I got that Fluckin' Love

The argument generally applies to F/S overcrooks because fs nose grinds tend to tweak out anyways because keeping it straight isn't that easy. I think that they are two tricks but some people will just say that there isn't such thing as a F/s overcrook and that its just a nosegrind. Honestly its stupid and people should care less about the name of a trick and appreciate the trick itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Legba View Post
    True.
    But thats different than saying something doesnt exist. Example: Half-Cab, Fakie 180, and Switch Nollie 180 all pertain to the same thing. But saying that 2 different grinds are the same just because theyre on the same truck? That's like saying smiths and feebles are really just 5-0s. (which we all know our beloved video game does sometimes lol)
    eh it's not really different because when people say it doesn't exist, they're not saying that the trick itself doesn't exist as much as they're saying that the name doesn't exist.

Generally grinds earn different distinctions due to 2 things. Whether it's fs or bs and also the way you lock into a grind. I mean.. grinding a fs feeble is the same as a bs smith, at least, in terms of how the board is oriented. The distinction between the two comes from fs vs bs as well as how you're locking into the grind (and how your body weight has to be adjusted because of how you're locking into it). Same thing with bs noseslide and fs noseblunt (on handrails).

When you're landing into a Nosegrind and pushing it over.. that's a lot different than ollieing over and locking it into the already tweaked position and when you look at Overcrooks.. it's not often that people actually ollie over and lock it. It's actually pretty similar to a Salad grind. If a guy were to lock a straight up 5-0 and then tweak it into Salad.. would you really consider that Salad? It's just that people give a lot more leeway to Overcrooks and really.. that's something that's become a trend fairly recently. If I had to estimate, I'd say sometime in the last 6-9 years or so? I mean.. if every Overcrooks was an ollie over to lock in, then I'd probably change my idea on it but that's not how it is.

Really the two sides of the Overcrook argument both have valid points and people will never agree 100% on it. Like I said, it's Heel Varial vs Varial Heel. It's Fresh vs. Hesh. It's a million other debates that will last forever in skateboarding.

stfu
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

You're such a ray of sunshine.

I know you're playing devil's advocate, so I can appreciate that winded post.
    But I've been skating for well over a decade, so I dont need tricks explained to me lol.
    It is just like you said with the 5-0/salad thing tho. The way I see it, if a dude lands his front truck on a rail with his tail already tweaked out, thats an overcrook in my book. My book is written by me and is, therefore, unofficial. Its just when I think back to belly-flopping on a 6-stair handrail trying to land my first "fs overcrook" it pisses me off a bit to hear folks call it a nosegrind. Cuz when I didn't swing my tail over the opposite side of the rail that I came from, it was a lot easier to do.
    But when I was kicking my board forward and calling it a dolphin flip only to have some kid tell me; "Thats a Murder Flip!" another; "Forward Flip" and yet another; "DONKEY FLIP!", I thought, "Awesome!". Cuz I knew we were all talking about the same thing, I liked being able to refer to it so many ways.

A names a name, and a sweet ass trick is just that.

I now introduce: The Overnose Swoop

And theres plenty of sunshine in that tittyful avatar [stares shamelessly]
    Last edited by Legba; 01-07-2013 at 09:33 PM.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

You're such a ray of sunshine.
    you know me!
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

btw let this thread die, seriously im tired of hearing about feeble salads being caught by the 5-0 after being tweaked. its just getting rediculous guys.
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

I wasn't trying to explain it to as much as I was just sort of writing it out to explain my reasoning more clearly. I apologize if I came across like I was trying to teach you.

But yeah.. I agree if every overcrook is tweaked out before the front truck locks, then it follows reasoning to consider it a different trick. It's a lot harder to lock and hold like that. I just see most kids landing in nosegrind and pushing it over and calling it an overcrook. Like just by shifting the tail after the fact qualifies it. It's like when people try smith grinds but the wheels on the front truck aren't sunk lower than the rail. Yeah it's not really a 50 or a 5-0 but it's not really a smith either. For example, Malto, 9 times out of 10, does it right.

Meanwhile, kids like this dude, come at harder angle and push it over during the grind. When someone does that, it's just tweaking out a nosegrind.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitmanx123 View Post
    btw let this thread die, seriously im tired of hearing about feeble salads being caught by the 5-0 after being tweaked. its just getting rediculous guys.
    It's not like there's a ton of threads popping and I like having these types of convo's. It's just a convo. Not a heated argument or anything like that.

It's not like there's a ton of threads popping and I like having these types of convo's. It's just a convo. Not a heated argument or anything like that.
    i guess. just seems like a stair-case convo that will lead to almost no conclusion. getting into the nitty gritty of why skaters think certain ways is fun but tbh theres only so much you can say before it comes down to the "thats how you think and this is how i think, we are different" realization. but whatever gets your post count up :/
    IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    TheDietTea

So one side says an accidental overcrook down a handrail is a nosegrind
    because you've never seen a straight nosegrind down a handrail you say an overcrook is a nosegrind.
    Now I understand where This side is coming from..
    But you can't really deny what is already there.. Frontside exists, Nosegrinds exist
    Being dependent on if it has been done or not seems silly to me.

If the person is approaching any obstacle whatsoever
    with their toes facing toward it in their regular stance
    is it not technically frontside? So, Toes toward the hand rail.. Regular Stance. Frontside nosegrind?
    If this is technically true you can't really say it doesn't exist, maybe it has not been done
    but it still seems like a possible variation.

Mind you, I'm still learning but just showing interest and shedding some light on my perspective.
    Last edited by Antwan; 01-08-2013 at 12:29 AM. Reason: fixed

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    So one side says an accidental overcrook down a handrail is a nosegrind
    because you've never seen a straight nosegrind down a handrail you say an overcrook is a nosegrind.
    Now I understand where This side is coming from..
    But you can't really deny what is already there.. Frontside exists, Nosegrinds exist
    Being dependent on if it has been done or not seems silly to me.

If the person is approaching any obstacle whatsoever
    with their toes facing toward it in their regular stance
    is it not technically frontside? So, Toes toward the hand rail.. Regular Stance. Frontside nosegrind?
    If this is technically true you can't really say it doesn't exist, maybe it has not been done
    but it still seems like a possible variation.

Mind you, I'm still learning but just showing interest and shedding some light on my perspective.
    I think you got it backwards. Nobody in this thread denies fs nosegrinds; however, the debate is regarding whether fs overcrooks on rails are legit, of if they are in fact just fs nosegrinds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

i guess. just seems like a stair-case convo that will lead to almost no conclusion. getting into the nitty gritty of why skaters think certain ways is fun but tbh theres only so much you can say before it comes down to the "thats how you think and this is how i think, we are different" realization. but whatever gets your post count up :/
    Yeah I get what you mean. I just saw that in this thread there was really only one viewpoint being expressed so I took up the mantle of the other side for conversations sake. I also just moved to a town with like zero skate scene so I'm little starved for even the most pointless skate talk lol.

I just wanted to really find out what this whole debate is based on. Until Moose started this thread, I had only heard of this issue once from some dude I met in Nor Cal. Other than that, people always count my fs overcrooks. So the latter part of this thread (with jest representing the opposing side) has actually been pretty informative.
    I also just moved to a town with like zero skate scene
    Ooooh, I know how that is! Lone Wolf-headphone sessions are all ya got. The worst is when there's no spots to speak of either, yikes! So glad I was able to move back to Brooklyn lol.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

One thing I think might not have been brought up yet is that trick names are linear. When the first fs nosegrind was done on a handrail, it was simply a grind on the front truck. There was no "overcrook" to compare it to, so it didn't matter if it was hanging over the side. That's just how the trick was done. But Bs Overcrooks were new when they were done (anyone remember gersh grinds?), so therefore it got a new name and was differentiated from a bs nosegrind.

Preach.

Ooooh, I know how that is! Lone Wolf-headphone sessions are all ya got. The worst is when there's no spots to speak of either, yikes! So glad I was able to move back to Brooklyn lol.
    I don't even have those. Stay at home Dad to a 3 year old and a wife who's 6 months preggo. I get zero session time whatsoever. In my last town I could at least take the kid down to the local shop and bs with people and watch vids. No skate shop in this town though. There's a Ron Jon Surf Shop but it's a tourist shop. It's a cool little town, just doesn't satisfy me on the skate side of things.

I don't even have those. Stay at home Dad to a 3 year old and a wife who's 6 months preggo. I get zero session time whatsoever. In my last town I could at least take the kid down to the local shop and bs with people and watch vids. No skate shop in this town though. There's a Ron Jon Surf Shop but it's a tourist shop. It's a cool little town, just doesn't satisfy me on the skate side of things.
    Really? Damn dude.... gotta love fakeskate in times like that! But its pretty awesome that you get to spend time with your kid like that tho.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

People who play devil's advocate are stupid.

Overcrooks are a name, and they do exist, just like a fucking kickflip isn't a tweaked-out ollie.

THIS IS MY NIGGA. I FILMED THIS.

:15 is a real overcrook.

OVERCROOK.

/endthread

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal Face View Post
    /endthread
    It's /thread and you cant /thread your own post

and how is that different from every other fs nosegrind/"fs overcrook" on a handrail?
    Last edited by briden; 01-08-2013 at 04:48 PM.

a lot of restaurants overcrook gnocchi...

XBL
    Tilbor

Quote Originally Posted by [Moose] View Post
    Recently, I heard some people say they aren't possible. Or they're just nosegrinds.

If you think this way can you please tell me why?
    front overcrook isn't a trick becuase on roundrails it's nearly impossible to lock into front nosegrind

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Quote Originally Posted by Tilburr View Post
    front overcrook isn't a trick becuase on roundrails it's nearly impossible to lock into front nosegrind
    It's been done. I've bared witness.

@ briden: Because he locked right into overcrook without tweaking?

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

XBL
    Tilbor

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal Face View Post
    It's been done. I've bared witness.

@ briden: Because he locked right into overcrook without tweaking?
    just my guess or assumption and what I've been told.

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    a lot of restaurants overcrook gnocchi...
    That is a fuckin FACT!
    Like 3 outta 5 times.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

frenchy

I can do fs nosegrinds down rails sqaure or round... In fakeskate

And tech deck(if that counts)
    yes that is me and tyler the creator

Really? Damn dude.... gotta love fakeskate in times like that! But its pretty awesome that you get to spend time with your kid like that tho.
    Oh definitely man. It's really a blessing.

Also, that vid of Chad Fernandez is a pretty good example. That's how he's always done his fs nosegrinds and that's what it calls them as well to my knowledge. He's an older generation though back from before people started using the term overcrooks.

Blazing a Trail

we're talking about physics. I don't get why we ask skaters' opininon on such a serious subject