Thread: "Sloppy" landings

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default "Sloppy" landings

So talking sloppy landings....how do you feel about them in game? you get one and respawn?

Depending on which animation, I sometimes like the way they look and keep them in moderation.

One thing Punkinate told me a long time ago about them.

Something like "They look like the skater uses his balance more realistically than perfect landings."

thoughts?

Hmmm, all depends on the magnitude of the trick that caused em for me personally. Like if its a tough ass grind, a huge gap or drop, or even a wall ride/bonk at an awkward angle, I actually like it. It makes the trick seem more authentic and better conveys the difficulty of it.

Now if its a slop landing on a slow moving flat ground shove it or anything that i would consider easy, then I dont like em.

Thats just how I feel anyways.
    Last edited by Legba; 01-13-2013 at 11:34 PM. Reason: Too many "em"s
    I got that Fluckin' Love

My problem....

I love seeing sloppy landings or even hae falls. My personal problem is that after the fith time I fall the raging starts kicking in and every time I fall or even look like I'm falling I smash that reset button and realize I could have kept that. But I like sloppy landings.
    GT - The Fr0sted Man

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    i'm perfecting sloppiness!

Blazing a Trail

it's still harder to get perfect landing

and i thing most sloppy landings are ugly as hell, they would hardly make sense irl
    Last edited by Slamooh; 01-14-2013 at 01:58 AM.

XBL
    crni1976

Basically I definitely prefer sketchy landings, since these generally look so much better. But the thing is that I do want the board and angle to come out the way they are supposed to, yet with the skater trying to recover his balance or the position of his feet, which makes for great animation. Still, in a video it is important not to overdo it I guess, and to try to get atleast some clean landings in, with a few sketchy ones dotted around the place for authenticity.

Quote Originally Posted by Slamooh View Post
    by far!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

and i thing most sloppy landings are ugly as hell, they would hardly make sense irl
    was gonna post my opinion on this, but saw this was exactly it..

I will NEVER upload sketchy landings, unless the trick has taken me so many hours that I don't feel like doing it again, but eventually I will end up not using that clip because I'll think it's ugly

You guys don't think that a video filled with straight perfect landings looks......robotic? I don't maybe it's my style I like going fast so it's a little harder to land perfect..atleast for me. But when I watch real skate vids I like all the clean ass tech tricks but then there's the trick where you say to yourself "how the hell did he bring that back under him" or "how did his board not pop out from underneath him" and those are the ones that I love. It looks like he put in more work to me because you know he tried to get a cleaner one but that just couldn't.

That's my opinion on it simply looks robotic to me.
    GT - The Fr0sted Man

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    i'm perfecting sloppiness!

XBL
    emericaridr11

if i land something in real life, thats it........ call it a day, fuck a perfect landing

I like both

Depends on the Look of the Landing itself, some of them look pretty bad to me

When I film a Clip i got exactly in Mind how i want it too look like before I start tryin

Sometimes i go for sloppy Landings though, but i never save them if they happen accidentally simply cause i dont like most of the Landing Animations

Imo Demz is the only one makin that ''sloppy Style'' workin...
    Last edited by Jebotek; 01-14-2013 at 12:56 AM.

Sloppy landings: No, Sketchy landings: Yes.

..but only if they are appropriate for the trick, seem natural and realistic, and look good. They tend to add a lot of spontaneity to tricks and give a sense of style to someone's skating.

XBL
    Stokenstein

I use Loose, so typically the, sketchy landings look better than the animations for good landings, haha.

I like the wobbly ones lol

Fluckit Master

Some tricks look awesome when it's perfect. Like a perfect sw fs flip flat always look good imo.. But I usually go for both sloppy and perfect landings.

Quote Originally Posted by Stokenstein View Post
    I use Loose, so typically the, sketchy landings look better than the animations for good landings, haha.
    ya true. i use loose. not sure what the animations look like for any other style. gotta use loose tho. best for low pop and I find the kicks in the other ones look fucking stupid.

Off topic, yet on topic - I've been playing around with grabs recently and I figured out a method of getting some grabs to look more realistic. Basically what I did was I moved the right stick randomly-ish, but there'd be a lot more emphasis on the 2nd or 3rd tweak and the others I would hardly move at all. I did this while doing a fakie tweak 180 off a drop somewhere and I nearly shit my pants cos it looked so realistic. Unfortunately I lost the clip.

Oh and I got a sloppy landing on that trick too.