Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: What are you reading?

Steam
    James Granko
    PSN
    Grankosson
    XBL
    H TIO

Finished this a few weeks ago, really good one. More insight on models and a lot of their unhealthy lives of eating-disorders and such. I really enjoyed it.

And right now I'm reading this one.
    Last edited by Granka; 11-02-2013 at 09:30 AM.

pretty sick info. lots to digest tho. enjoying it.

XBL
    crni1976

Interesting reading material guys. Fluckers be intellectualising!

PSN
    kieranroden10

I've started reading alot of John Steinbeck(Grapes of Wrath atm)but besides from that not much else.My nearest book shop is terrible and the library is not even open any more, so seeing what all of you read helps to choose something.
    PSN:kieranroden10

DEVD STCK Collective

hey remember on the first page when i made fun of The Silmarillion? Totally just finished that again. Much more rewarding the second time. Seemed much more like a narrative than a textbook this time.

Now continuing on my Tolkien kick with The Children of Hurin
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by kieran View Post
    I've started reading alot of John Steinbeck(Grapes of Wrath atm)but besides from that not much else.My nearest book shop is terrible and the library is not even open any more, so seeing what all of you read helps to choose something.
    Damn man, sorry to read this. I sometimes forget that even in our industrialized Western society is still is not always obvious to get your hands on whatever it is you want to read. I hope you still have some options though, and that this thread might provide you with a number of interesting suggestions to look out for.

Some words regarding my next read. I have not listened to Metallica for a long, long time and pretty much gave up on the band after the Black Album. I always very much enjoyed their earlier work though, up until the ...And Justice for All album, yet after that my interest started to dwindle.

Still, checking out the latest Nyjah solo these last couple of days, it struck me once more how much I love the song Fade to Black, so I picked up my copy of the Live Shit: Binge & Purge live album from the 1993 Nowhere Else to Roam tour and am appreciating it once more. I still remember seeing Metallica live in Belgium around that time and having a blast.

And then just yesterday, I decided to order Enter Night by Mick Wall. I am expecting it in the mail early next week and am definitely looking forward to catch up on some Metallica history.

Their roots lie in the heavy rock of 70s groups like Deep Purple. The music they played--heavy metal mixed with punk attitude--became its own genre: thrash. Their bassist died and they survived to became the biggest-selling band in the world. As grunge threatened to overtake them, they reinvented themselves. Then their singer went into rehab and they almost fell apart. They are Metallica, the most influential heavy metal band of the last thirty years.

As Led Zeppelin was for hard rock and the Sex Pistols were for punk, Metallica became the band that defined the look and sound of 1980s heavy metal. Inventors of thrash metal--Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth followed--it was always Metallica who led the way, who pushed to another level, who became the last of the superstar rockers.

Metallica is the fifth-largest selling artist of all time, with 100 million records sold worldwide. Their music has extended its reach beyond rock and metal, and into the pop mainstream, as they went from speed metal to MTV with their hit single "Enter Sandman." Until now there hasn't been a critical, authoritative, in-depth portrait of the band. Mick Wall's thoroughly researched, insightful work is enriched by his interviews with band members, record company execs, roadies, and fellow musicians. He tells the story of how a tennis-playing, music-loving Danish immigrant named Lars Ulrich created a band with singer James Hetfield and made his dreams a reality. "Enter Night" follows the band through tragedy and triumph, from the bus crash that killed their bassist Cliff Burton in 1986 to the 2004 documentary "Some Kind of Monster," and on to their current status as the leaders of the Big Four festival that played to a million fans in Britain and Europe and continues in the U.S. in 2011.

"Enter Night" delves into the various incarnations of the band, and the personalities of all key members, past and present--especially Ulrich and Hetfield--to produce the definitive word on the biggest metal band on the planet.

XBL
    crni1976

Quickly reading You Are Sloth! by Steve Lowe on the side

"Why you are sloth? Because fuck you is why! HAHAHAHAHA!!1!"

That's the last response you got from The Spammer, who's developed an insidious computer virus that transforms people into their power animals. You never should have opened that email from the Philippino Sherriff's Attaché to East Berlin. So many missed warning signs there, but you were drunk last night. Things have been rough lately - you can't pay your rent, your neighbors are annoying, you keep getting strange calls from horny guys with unique and unsettling fetishes, you're way behind with work, and your computer is suddenly crapping out on you. And now you're a goddamn sloth. Nice going, genius. But there's more at play here than simple animal hijinks. You've been added to the Homeland Security Terror Watch List, and the cops want to question you about the mysterious disappearances of several gay men, who all seem to have called your phone just before they vanished. Not only has this Spammer fuck turned you into a sloth, he's framed your slow ass, too! You've had enough of this shit. With the help of your neighbors, Cross the Asshole and Randy the Retard, you form the SLOTH SQUAD. It's time to track that Spammer down and reap some three-toed vengeance on his ass.

You are Sloth!

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    Quickly reading You Are Sloth! by Steve Lowe on the side
    If you are looking for something that makes no sense whatsoever, but is absolutely hilarious, then this is it. And it includes an infamous death by bukkake scene.

XBL
    crni1976

Rereading The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

Fluckit Master

Half way thru A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
    Got into science reading mainly after watching Sagan's Cosmos series.
    Firsthand I started reading The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose but it was too complex, plus I was told to start reading this Hawking's book.
    So far, very interesting.

XBL
    crni1976

Some interesting entries and suggestions guys!

I picked up a bunch of books recently, can't seem to help it. Right now I am looking forward to reading Dirt by David Vann.

Publisher’s description: The year is 1985, and twenty-two-year-old Galen lives with his emotionally dependent mother in a secluded old house surrounded by a walnut orchard in a suburb of Sacramento. He doesn’t know who his father is, his abusive grandfather is dead, and his grandmother, losing her memory, has been shipped off to a nursing home. Galen and his mother survive on the family’s trust fund—old money that his aunt, Helen, and seventeen-year-old cousin, Jennifer, are determined to get their hands on.

Galen, a New Age believer who considers himself an old soul, yearns for transformation: to free himself from the corporeal, to be as weightless as air, to walk on water. But he’s powerless to stop the manic binges that overtake him, leading him to fixate on forbidden desires. A prisoner of his body, he is obsessed with thoughts of the boldly flirtatious Jennifer and dreams of shedding himself of the clinging mother whose fears and needs weigh him down.

When the family takes a trip to an old cabin in the Sierras, near South Lake Tahoe, tensions crescendo. Caught in a compromising position, Galen will discover the shocking truth of just how far he will go to attain the transcendence he craves.

An exhilarating portrayal of a legacy of violence and madness, Dirt is an entirely feverish read.

XBL
    crni1976

Right now I am looking forward to reading Dirt by David Vann
    A slightly disturbing, dark yet very compelling read by an upcoming author I can only recommend. It only took me two sittings to finish this, with another novel already in the mail.

My next read is a book I have been considering for a long long time, but for some reason I just did not get around to picking up a copy. It is generally considered a classic: Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.

Amazon review

It took Vonnegut more than 20 years to put his Dresden experiences into words. He explained, "there is nothing intelligent to say about a massacre. Everybody is supposed to be dead, to never say anything or want anything ever again." Slaughterhouse Five is a powerful novel incorporating a number of genres. Only those who have fought in wars can say whether it represents the experience well. However, what the novel does do is invite the reader to look at the absurdity of war. Human versus human, hedonist politicians pressing buttons and ordering millions to their deaths all for ideologies many cannot even comprehend. Flicking between the US, 1940's Germany and Tralfamadore, Vonnegut's semi- autobiographical protagonist Billy Pilgrim finds himself very lost. One minute he is being viewed as a specimen in a Tralfamadorian Zoo, the next he is wandering a post-apocalyptic city looking for corpses. Slaughterhouse Five-Or The Children's Crusade A Duty-Dance with Death is a remarkable blend of black humour, irony, the truth and the absurd. The author regards his work a "failure", millions of readers do not. Released the same time bombs were falling on South East Asia, this title caused controversy and awakening. Essential reading for all. So it goes. --Jon Smith

XBL
    crni1976

My next read is a book I have been considering for a long long time, but for some reason I just did not get around to picking up a copy. It is generally considered a classic: Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.
    A fascinating book for sure, although I do not quite know yet what to make of it, in terms of structure and symbolism. Maybe because I expected it to be different, more along the lines of Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.. .

Anyways, my next stop is a contemporary American writer I am somewhat familiar with, a "laureate of American lowlife". The book being The Post Office, the man Charles Bukowski. It'll give me something to ponder and chew on as I approach middle age myself.

"It began as a mistake." By middle age, Henry Chinaski has lost more than twelve years of his life to the U.S. Postal Service. In a world where his three true, bitter pleasures are women, booze, and racetrack betting, he somehow drags his hangover out of bed every dawn to lug waterlogged mailbags up mud-soaked mountains, outsmart vicious guard dogs, and pray to survive the day-to-day trials of sadistic bosses and certifiable coworkers. This classic 1971 novel—the one that catapulted its author to national fame—is the perfect introduction to the grimly hysterical world of legendary writer, poet, and Dirty Old Man Charles Bukowski and his fictional alter ego, Chinaski.

XBL
    crni1976

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the story of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. In a perfectly crafted story, which won for Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature, is a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements in which he lives.

Steam
    radicalwhistle
    XBL
    okwiider

SHOOT TO TICKLE!!

XBL
    crni1976

Great suggestions, I will look into these

XBL
    crni1976

New work by Haruki Murakami, his latest: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. The Dutch version since the English translation will not hit the market till this summer.. .

XBL
    crni1976

Reading Fierce Bitches (Kindle edition) by Jedidiah Ayres on the side

Across the border lies Politoburg: hell on earth, home to putas, punks and psychos.
    Escape is not in the stars, redemption is not in the cards, but reckoning might just be on the menu. Stand back. The pit is about to spit something back out.
    Last edited by crni1976; 02-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.

XBL
    crni1976

Still immersed in (and most definitely enjoying) Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Murakami pretty much curbs the surreal this time around), but I can not keep from sidetracking, especially not when it comes to promising and challenging work such as Our Blood In Its Blind Circuit by J. David Osborne. I will be downloading and reading the Kindle edition tonight!

Crooked cops cover their bodies in chicken blood and living tattoos to protect themselves from the cartels. A Civil War vet tracks his wife's heart across the desert. A detective, poised to take down a local drug ring, is suddenly possessed by the spirit of Sasha Fierce. Shadows drip feathers and wounds bleed ants. Puppets run on human hearts and barfighting hillbillies ride dragons into the sun. OUR BLOOD IN ITS BLIND CIRCUIT is a dark, genre-bending collection of weird crime fiction by the award-winning author of LOW DOWN DEATH RIGHT EASY and BY THE TIME WE LEAVE HERE, WE'LL BE FRIENDS.
    Last edited by crni1976; 02-13-2014 at 07:05 AM.

have never posted in the thread because i was afraid that id get made fun of fo not being able to read. but i just read this and it got me hyped to start up my zombie/apocalypse concept drawings again.

IM A BOSS ASS BITCH

XBL
    crni1976

I am not all that familiar with all things Zombie, even though I very much enjoy The Walking Dead TV series and of course have seen a couple of classic movies related to the genre. I have been wondering about World War Z as well, and had the book in my hands atleast a couple of times. I haven't purchased it yet, but probably will sometime soon. Thanks for posting Hitman, anything that gets your creative outlet going is worth mentioning, and it served as a useful reminder for me personally.

I am finishing up Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki, and am already reading something new on the side, something fresh, something damn well crafted, something transcending genres. If that is your thing, you might want to check out We Live Inside You by Jeremy Robert Johnson.

"WE LIVE INSIDE YOU is fucking terrific. Jeremy Robert Johnson is dancing to a way different drummer. He loves language, he loves the edge, and he loves us people. These stories have range and style and wit. This is entertainment... and literature."--JACK KETCHUM, author of Off Season, The Girl Next Door, and The Woman (w/Lucky McKee)

We are within you, and we are growing. Watching. Waiting for your empires to fall. It won't be long now.

We are the fear of death that drives you and the terrible hunger that reshapes you in its name. We are the vengeance born from senseless slaughter and the pulsing reptile desire that negates your consciousness. We are the lie on your lips, the collapsing star in your heart, and the still-warm gun in your shaking hands. The illusion of control is all we'll allow you, and no matter what you do...

WE LIVE INSIDE YOU

XBL
    crni1976

Reading quite a bit of Bizarro, Crime and Noir lately, I chanced upon the work of a young and upcoming writer named J. David Osborne and found out that he took the plunge recently and started his own publishing house Broken River Books, specializing in the Crime genre.

He funded this project through Kickstarter and managed to collect no less than five titles by critically acclaimed authors for the launch of this literary venture. And supposedly these are not just crime or noir stories, but gut-wrenching, hard-hitting and provocative tales that leave the reader disoriented and morally lost at sea.

I felt intrigued and ordered all five titles on the spur of the moment. I will be reading through these during the next couple of weeks, and expect to be knocked da fuck out.

First one on the list, The Least of My Scars by Stephen Graham Jones.

If you would like some more information, this is the place to go: http://jdavidosborne.com/2013/10/11/...launch-titles/

Enjoy.

XBL
    crni1976

March in literature, with added asterisk for the ones I particularly enjoyed (should anyone care):

The Least of My Scars, by Stephen Graham Jones (reread)*
    Peckerwood, by Jedidiah Ayres*
    Street Raised, by Pearce Hansen
    Gravesend, by William Boyle*
    XXX Shamus, by Red Hammond (aka Anthony Neil Smith)
    A Life's Music, by Andreï Makine*
    Extinction Journals, by Jeremy Robert Johnson
    King Scratch, by Jordan Krall
    The Last Porno Theater, by Nick Cato

XBL
    crni1976

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ypsuq8h5m...kwkkTusbMhINRa

Let me elaborate. This FREE downloadable file contains samplers of all 11 (!) titles published by a new and upcoming publishing house called Broken River Books, run by young entrepreneur (and gifted writer) J David Osborne. If hard-hitting, gut-wrenching yet fresh and challenging Crime Fiction / Noir is your thing, or if you are simply looking for something that packs a punch, then please do check out these releases. They can be ordered through Amazon and are print-on-demand, which basically means these are NEVER out-of-print (even if stated otherwise). Trust me, do yourself a favor, and check this!