Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    My next read is a book I have been considering for a long long time, but for some reason I just did not get around to picking up a copy. It is generally considered a classic: Slaughterhouse 5 by Kurt Vonnegut.
    A fascinating book for sure, although I do not quite know yet what to make of it, in terms of structure and symbolism. Maybe because I expected it to be different, more along the lines of Catch 22 by Joseph Heller.. .

Anyways, my next stop is a contemporary American writer I am somewhat familiar with, a "laureate of American lowlife". The book being The Post Office, the man Charles Bukowski. It'll give me something to ponder and chew on as I approach middle age myself.

"It began as a mistake." By middle age, Henry Chinaski has lost more than twelve years of his life to the U.S. Postal Service. In a world where his three true, bitter pleasures are women, booze, and racetrack betting, he somehow drags his hangover out of bed every dawn to lug waterlogged mailbags up mud-soaked mountains, outsmart vicious guard dogs, and pray to survive the day-to-day trials of sadistic bosses and certifiable coworkers. This classic 1971 novel—the one that catapulted its author to national fame—is the perfect introduction to the grimly hysterical world of legendary writer, poet, and Dirty Old Man Charles Bukowski and his fictional alter ego, Chinaski.

XBL
    crni1976

The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Set in the Gulf Stream off the coast of Havana, Hemingway's magnificent fable is the story of an old man, a young boy and a giant fish. In a perfectly crafted story, which won for Hemingway the Nobel Prize for Literature, is a unique and timeless vision of the beauty and grief of man's challenge to the elements in which he lives.

Steam
    radicalwhistle
    XBL
    okwiider

SHOOT TO TICKLE!!

XBL
    crni1976

Great suggestions, I will look into these

XBL
    crni1976

New work by Haruki Murakami, his latest: Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage. The Dutch version since the English translation will not hit the market till this summer.. .

XBL
    crni1976

Reading Fierce Bitches (Kindle edition) by Jedidiah Ayres on the side

Across the border lies Politoburg: hell on earth, home to putas, punks and psychos.
    Escape is not in the stars, redemption is not in the cards, but reckoning might just be on the menu. Stand back. The pit is about to spit something back out.
    Last edited by crni1976; 02-12-2014 at 09:47 AM.

XBL
    crni1976

Still immersed in (and most definitely enjoying) Colorless Tsukuru Tazaki and His Years of Pilgrimage (Murakami pretty much curbs the surreal this time around), but I can not keep from sidetracking, especially not when it comes to promising and challenging work such as Our Blood In Its Blind Circuit by J. David Osborne. I will be downloading and reading the Kindle edition tonight!

Crooked cops cover their bodies in chicken blood and living tattoos to protect themselves from the cartels. A Civil War vet tracks his wife's heart across the desert. A detective, poised to take down a local drug ring, is suddenly possessed by the spirit of Sasha Fierce. Shadows drip feathers and wounds bleed ants. Puppets run on human hearts and barfighting hillbillies ride dragons into the sun. OUR BLOOD IN ITS BLIND CIRCUIT is a dark, genre-bending collection of weird crime fiction by the award-winning author of LOW DOWN DEATH RIGHT EASY and BY THE TIME WE LEAVE HERE, WE'LL BE FRIENDS.
    Last edited by crni1976; 02-13-2014 at 07:05 AM.