Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    crni1976

I can definitely recommend this book for anyone who has ever felt passionate about skateboarding. Reading about the endless lonely hours Rodney put in is outright inspiring; the tremendous joy of landing a new trick for the first time identifiable.

Also, I am very much struck by the honesty of this account, as it intimately etches the portrait of person who has come a long way and tried to find ways to cope with some very adverse personal circumstances (which I knew nothing about before).

Rodney's continuous attempts to come to terms with the past and to find some peace of mind and heart by revisiting places and people that once defined him strike a chord with me, and deepen my respect for a man whose influence on modern skateboarding can not be overestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    This doesn't need an introduction. Actually, I only found out recently about this book, happy to finally give it a go now.. .

XBL
    crni1976

Some more by my favourite author Haruki Murakami, South Of The Border, West Of The Sun

Growing up in the suburbs in post-war Japan, it seemed to Hajime that everyone but him had brothers and sisters. His sole companion was Shimamoto, also an only child. Together they spent long afternoons listening to her father's record collection. But when his family moved away, the two lost touch.

Now Hajime is in his thirties. After a decade of drifting he has found happiness with his loving wife and two daughters, and success running a jazz bar. Then Shimamoto reappears. She is beautiful, intense, enveloped in mystery. Hajime is catapulted into the past, putting at risk all he has in the present.

Steam
    James Granko
    PSN
    Grankosson
    XBL
    H TIO

Reading this right now, Blod Eld Död = Blood Fire Death. A book about the history of swedish death metal and black metal.

XBL
    crni1976

Not really into the whole black metal scene, but from what I've picked up there's a pretty vivid scene (and full fledged nutjobs) around in your neck of the woods. Should be an interesting read. Thanks for sharing.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    I can definitely recommend this book for anyone who has ever felt passionate about skateboarding. Reading about the endless lonely hours Rodney put in is outright inspiring; the tremendous joy of landing a new trick for the first time identifiable.

Also, I am very much struck by the honesty of this account, as it intimately etches the portrait of person who has come a long way and tried to find ways to cope with some very adverse personal circumstances (which I knew nothing about before).

Rodney's continuous attempts to come to terms with the past and to find some peace of mind and heart by revisiting places and people that once defined him strike a chord with me, and deepen my respect for a man whose influence on modern skateboarding can not be overestimated.
    Such a great book, I got it right when it came out and have read it several times, truly inspiring and a must read for Mullen fans and skateboarders in general.

XBL
    crni1976

The Sailor Who Fell from Grace with the Sea, by Yukio Mishima

The novel chronicles the story of Ryuji, a sailor with vague notions of a special honor awaiting him at sea. He meets a woman called Fusako with whom he falls deeply in love, and he ultimately decides to marry her. Fusako's 13-year-old son, Noboru, is in a band of savage boys who believe in "objectivity", rejecting the adult world as illusory, hypocritical and sentimental.
    As Ryuji begins to draw close to Fusako, a woman of the shore, he is eventually torn away from the dreams he's pursued his entire life. Fusako's son, Noboru, who shares an especially close bond with his mother through a voyeuristic ritual, hates the idea of losing his mother to a man who has let his hope and freedom die. This anger and fear of loneliness translates into terrible, savage acts performed by Noboru and the gang of which he is a part.

XBL
    crni1976

Three novellas of squishy-noir from Jordan Krall.
    On the surface, Thompson looks like any other blue collar New Jersey town. But beneath the working class exterior lies a bizarro world of fetishistic crime, sleazy motels, and squid. In these three bizarro-noir novellas, the reader is thrown into a world of murderers, drugs made from squid parts, deformed war veterans, and a mischievous apocalyptic donkey...

THE HABERDASHER

Red Henry Hooper just got out on parole. He meets his friends, fellow small-time criminals Dix Hayden and Grant Minissi, in a cheap motel to drink a couple beers and perhaps plan another job. Things go sour when Grant takes some bad drugs. Meanwhile, in the next room, strange things are happening that will make Henry's day even worse: a woman is missing her feet and a notorious local gangster Robert Hapertas (aka The Haberdasher) is on his way. And he's not pleased...

THE LONGHEADS

Tommy Pingpong knew it was a mistake sending his partner Jake into the meeting with their boss. Now they were on the run from Peachy, a diaper-wearing gangster who would like nothing better than to kill the both of them. On top of that, the deformed war veterans called the longheads are buying up all the guns in town, planning something big that'll have severe implications for the town of Thompson.

THE APOCALYPSE DONKEY

When Simon Palmer took the black envelope from the tall man in the parking lot, he didn't know that this case of mistaken identity would make his day take such a weird turn for the worst. When the man finally realizes that he gave the envelope to the wrong guy, Simon is thrown into a dangerous cat-and-mouse game that finally leads to a sleazy carnival of squid violence...

OH MY GOD I WANT TO READ THAT RIGHT NOW.

Steam
    James Granko
    PSN
    Grankosson
    XBL
    H TIO

Started reading this a week ago. So far really good and interesting.

i found a collection of malcolm x's speechs. amazing. and a walking dead type thing thats actually very good the first of the series is called the remaining.