Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    crni1976

I Pass Like Night, by Jonathan Ames

When Alexander Vine finishes his work day, he leaves his post as a doorman at Manhattan's exclusive Four Seasons restaurant -- and enters a nighttime landscape of chance and danger, excitement and reinvention in the city's erotic underworld. Walking a tightrope between sexual desire and self-extinction, Alexander Vine charts his destructive course -- and his struggle for redemption -- with startling, unadorned clarity.

XBL
    crni1976

A Stranger In This World, by Kevin Canty.

In the tradition of the works of Raymond Carver and Richard Ford, this fiction debut shines with verbal brilliance. Disturbing yet compellingly readable, the stories in this collection explore the gap between disappointment and hope, between life as it could be and life as it is.

Fury, by Salman Rushdie

A difficult read when i only dedicate my lunch breaks to it. But i find the character study very interesting.
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

XBL
    crni1976

The Bottoms, by Joe R. Lansdale

A thriller with echoes of William Faulkner and Harper Lee, The Bottoms is classic American storytelling in its truest, darkest, and more affecting form.

Its 1933 in East Texas and the Depression lingers in the air like a slow moving storm. When a young Harry Collins and his little sister stumble across the body of a black woman who has been savagely mutilated and left to die in the bottoms of the Sabine River, their small town is instantly charged with tension. When a second body turns up, this time of a white woman, there is little Harry can do from stopping his Klan neighbors from lynching an innocent black man. Together with his younger sister, Harry sets out to discover who the real killer is, and to do so they will search for a truth that resides far deeper than any river or skin color.

XBL
    crni1976

Edge Of Dark Water, by Joe R. Lansdale

May Lynn dreamed of being a movie star. But her future was short, and it wasn't on the silver screen. It was down in the dark depths of the Sabine River with a sewing machine wired to her feet.

In Depression-era Texas, a better life is hard to come by. May Lynn's friends Sue Ellen, Terry and Jinx know they need to leave, and now they have a reason - they're going to take May's ashes all the way to Hollywood.

But silent obstacles stand in their way: a family's worth of betrayal, a fortune's worth of stolen gold, and a legendary killer who'll stop at nothing...

Joe R. Lansdale is one of the great American crime writers and Edge of Dark Water shows him at his finest. If you haven't read him yet, you're missing out.

XBL
    crni1976

This doesn't need an introduction. Actually, I only found out recently about this book, happy to finally give it a go now.. .

Last edited by crni1976; 06-26-2013 at 12:53 AM.

I'm reading that too. For some reason I thought it would be poos but I underestimated it.

XBL
    crni1976

I can definitely recommend this book for anyone who has ever felt passionate about skateboarding. Reading about the endless lonely hours Rodney put in is outright inspiring; the tremendous joy of landing a new trick for the first time identifiable.

Also, I am very much struck by the honesty of this account, as it intimately etches the portrait of person who has come a long way and tried to find ways to cope with some very adverse personal circumstances (which I knew nothing about before).

Rodney's continuous attempts to come to terms with the past and to find some peace of mind and heart by revisiting places and people that once defined him strike a chord with me, and deepen my respect for a man whose influence on modern skateboarding can not be overestimated.

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    This doesn't need an introduction. Actually, I only found out recently about this book, happy to finally give it a go now.. .