Thread: What are you reading?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    PSN
    kieranroden10

I've started reading alot of John Steinbeck(Grapes of Wrath atm)but besides from that not much else.My nearest book shop is terrible and the library is not even open any more, so seeing what all of you read helps to choose something.
    PSN:kieranroden10

DEVD STCK Collective

hey remember on the first page when i made fun of The Silmarillion? Totally just finished that again. Much more rewarding the second time. Seemed much more like a narrative than a textbook this time.

Now continuing on my Tolkien kick with The Children of Hurin
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by kieran View Post
    I've started reading alot of John Steinbeck(Grapes of Wrath atm)but besides from that not much else.My nearest book shop is terrible and the library is not even open any more, so seeing what all of you read helps to choose something.
    Damn man, sorry to read this. I sometimes forget that even in our industrialized Western society is still is not always obvious to get your hands on whatever it is you want to read. I hope you still have some options though, and that this thread might provide you with a number of interesting suggestions to look out for.

Some words regarding my next read. I have not listened to Metallica for a long, long time and pretty much gave up on the band after the Black Album. I always very much enjoyed their earlier work though, up until the ...And Justice for All album, yet after that my interest started to dwindle.

Still, checking out the latest Nyjah solo these last couple of days, it struck me once more how much I love the song Fade to Black, so I picked up my copy of the Live Shit: Binge & Purge live album from the 1993 Nowhere Else to Roam tour and am appreciating it once more. I still remember seeing Metallica live in Belgium around that time and having a blast.

And then just yesterday, I decided to order Enter Night by Mick Wall. I am expecting it in the mail early next week and am definitely looking forward to catch up on some Metallica history.

Their roots lie in the heavy rock of 70s groups like Deep Purple. The music they played--heavy metal mixed with punk attitude--became its own genre: thrash. Their bassist died and they survived to became the biggest-selling band in the world. As grunge threatened to overtake them, they reinvented themselves. Then their singer went into rehab and they almost fell apart. They are Metallica, the most influential heavy metal band of the last thirty years.

As Led Zeppelin was for hard rock and the Sex Pistols were for punk, Metallica became the band that defined the look and sound of 1980s heavy metal. Inventors of thrash metal--Slayer, Anthrax and Megadeth followed--it was always Metallica who led the way, who pushed to another level, who became the last of the superstar rockers.

Metallica is the fifth-largest selling artist of all time, with 100 million records sold worldwide. Their music has extended its reach beyond rock and metal, and into the pop mainstream, as they went from speed metal to MTV with their hit single "Enter Sandman." Until now there hasn't been a critical, authoritative, in-depth portrait of the band. Mick Wall's thoroughly researched, insightful work is enriched by his interviews with band members, record company execs, roadies, and fellow musicians. He tells the story of how a tennis-playing, music-loving Danish immigrant named Lars Ulrich created a band with singer James Hetfield and made his dreams a reality. "Enter Night" follows the band through tragedy and triumph, from the bus crash that killed their bassist Cliff Burton in 1986 to the 2004 documentary "Some Kind of Monster," and on to their current status as the leaders of the Big Four festival that played to a million fans in Britain and Europe and continues in the U.S. in 2011.

"Enter Night" delves into the various incarnations of the band, and the personalities of all key members, past and present--especially Ulrich and Hetfield--to produce the definitive word on the biggest metal band on the planet.

XBL
    crni1976

Quickly reading You Are Sloth! by Steve Lowe on the side

"Why you are sloth? Because fuck you is why! HAHAHAHAHA!!1!"

That's the last response you got from The Spammer, who's developed an insidious computer virus that transforms people into their power animals. You never should have opened that email from the Philippino Sherriff's Attaché to East Berlin. So many missed warning signs there, but you were drunk last night. Things have been rough lately - you can't pay your rent, your neighbors are annoying, you keep getting strange calls from horny guys with unique and unsettling fetishes, you're way behind with work, and your computer is suddenly crapping out on you. And now you're a goddamn sloth. Nice going, genius. But there's more at play here than simple animal hijinks. You've been added to the Homeland Security Terror Watch List, and the cops want to question you about the mysterious disappearances of several gay men, who all seem to have called your phone just before they vanished. Not only has this Spammer fuck turned you into a sloth, he's framed your slow ass, too! You've had enough of this shit. With the help of your neighbors, Cross the Asshole and Randy the Retard, you form the SLOTH SQUAD. It's time to track that Spammer down and reap some three-toed vengeance on his ass.

You are Sloth!

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    Quickly reading You Are Sloth! by Steve Lowe on the side
    If you are looking for something that makes no sense whatsoever, but is absolutely hilarious, then this is it. And it includes an infamous death by bukkake scene.

XBL
    crni1976

Rereading The Power of Now, by Eckhart Tolle

Fluckit Master

Half way thru A Brief History of Time by Stephen Hawking.
    Got into science reading mainly after watching Sagan's Cosmos series.
    Firsthand I started reading The Emperor's New Mind by Roger Penrose but it was too complex, plus I was told to start reading this Hawking's book.
    So far, very interesting.