Thread: Driving standard

Default Driving standard

Any of you guys drive with a clutch?

I'm learning it now, because when I master it I got a Jeep Wrangler waiting for me!

switchFooTexas

Both my lancer and evo were stick before I sold them. Just keep driving, i was so frusturated when i first started I almost broke my hand punching a wall. After about 2-3 hours you should have it.

Just keep it up, there are no tricks really.

yeah today was my second day giving it a try... first day i was superr pissed fuckin stalled the thing like 20 times got soo frustrated. Im starting to get the hang of i now tho only problems i have is going into 5th gear instead of 3rd and stalling after i stop at a stop sign or light

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Just pay attn to the feel of the clutch and where the clutch starts to engage. Remember you don't have the put the clutch to the floor, just past the engagement point.

as for the 2-5 instead of 2-3...don't worry, i've been driving stick for hella long and i still do that shit.

when you get off of 52nd, look for the 3 legged dog, I'm 5 blocks down on the left next to taco bell

I learned on a 4 speed honda. Wish my current SUV was standard. There's a much better feel for the vehicle when it's standard. I used to be able to light a smke, change the channel, shift, pick my nose, sip my coffee at the same time.

its amazing how good of a multitasker you can become. Elbow shifting!

when you get off of 52nd, look for the 3 legged dog, I'm 5 blocks down on the left next to taco bell

skip shifting with the elbow....

no clutch power shifting with the knee?

no clutch, writing a report that's due, pencil shift to 4th.

damn, i've just been pwnd

joshmutiny

stick shifts are the bane of my existence. i'm 27 years old and still haven't fully learned. my friends won't teach me because they're afraid i'll fuck up their car, because my girlfriend is pretty much convinced i screwed up her miata.

if you can skate, you can drive stick. gas > clutch(off gas) > shift.

What kills me is that I can do it for a car but when you change the clutch location on a motorcycle, I'm all effed up.

joshmutiny

i mean, i'm ok at it. stopping completely, and especially on hills, are a pain in the ass. once i get going i'm fine. just not enough practice.

ChvyVele

My car is a standard, I love it. It adds a lot more fun to driving, and you feel like you have a lot more control over the car. It wasn't too hard for me to learn because I ride quads and dirtbikes that are manual, so it's basically the same concept. I learned in my dad's Corolla, then moved on to my Mustang. Not much advice to give, just whenever you think you're going to stall or if you get nervous, push in the clutch. Just make sure you don't do it while your foot is on the gas .

I forget that my occidental brethern mostly drive automatics. Manual gears are a piece of pie, heavens if I can do it then you certainly can.

For me it's about listening to the engine and the 'biting point' when starting on hills. Little tip, when slowing down don't go through the gears rather slow down with the foot brake then go in to first once stopped, it'll save wear and tear on your clutch and gearbox.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

just got back from driving the wrangler again. Fixed the 2 to 5 instead of 2 to 3 problem, now the only thing i need to get down is starting back up at intersections and hills, but my dad told me thats the hardest part and everyone fucks that up

best tip I got when learning to drive stick was

when starting up from a dead stop
    slowly release the clutch till you start to feel the vehicle shake
    thats when you want to pressing the gas

Hill starts are hard for sure. To start on a hill you have to balance the clutch and accelerator so you can feel the car wanting to go the best way I can explain it is that the car sort of 'lifts', then slowly off with the handbrake whilst at the same time slowly letting out the clutch and slowly down on the accelerator.

Starting of at junctions is the same as hill starts in a way just you don't have to give it as much clutch and accelertor as you would on a hill. One should have the handbrake on whilst stopped at a junction, least that way if someone goes into the back of you whilst you are stopped you won't go shooting forward into traffic.

I know it's a cliche but you really can't practice enough
    Last edited by Corrine; 03-06-2009 at 03:24 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

hills scared me at first but what i did was just play with the clutch and gas at the same time and made the car just keep rocking. hard to explain but you kind of let the car coast back abit then gas, coast back abit then gas. you'll know exactly where that friction point is if you do that.

I drive a speed3 in a stick. The car is a freaking blast. As for starting on hills.... just remember technically you can make your car move without pushing on the gas AT ALL. just release the cltuch slightly until you feel it catch and then youll barely roll back on the hill.

Or you can throw up the handbrake, start like normal but once your car starts to move immediately release the handbrake
    Holden

ChvyVele

Pfft, Corrine, the only time I use the handbrake is after I park.

Fluckin' Hatchling

Yes I always drive to manual car this is why because I am living at the top of hills so auto car couldn't be suitable for hills journey...
    Last edited by joyee; 11-14-2012 at 05:31 AM.

stop bumping old threads!!

driving stick is great, you can tell the car what to do so much more specifically. downshifting into a turn will always be a favorite feeling for me.

what in the hell? corrine is in this thread? STOP BUMPING DEAD STUFF

Quote Originally Posted by SK8ERatWAR View Post
    stop bumping old threads!!
    THIS!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck