Thread: The Skateboarding Questions thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Most pros in the early 2000's took off their bearing shields. Don't ask me why.

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Yeah, the rationale behind removing the shields is that it reduces friction and increases speed. I think its true. I used to do it in high school.....but I've always been rough on bearings...balls out...so I keep em on now. Abec 7 Black Panthers since 03.

& Oddity: I'm gonna ahead and say those are all joke terms. But if you're hankerin' for some odd skating terms, heres some weirdo Cali terms that never caught on with skating as a whole:
    -Banana Foot: A term used to describe when someone lands a trick with their toe(s) hanging over the edge of their deck & touching the gorund (AKA Toe Touch/Drag).
    -Apple Foot: Same as above^, but for heel(s).
    I got that Fluckin' Love

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

I used to clean my bearings a lot, never popped off the shields though, seemed like a little too much effort and I didn't wanna fuck things up. Been skating Bones Swiss labyrinths for a few years now. Great bearings, didn't really notice any reduction in quality compared to the more expensive bones Swiss that I've used in the past.

Reds all the way! less than 20 bucks at my local shop and theyve served me perfectly for years

Yeah, you can never knock Reds' value. I think they were $12 at my local shop when I first started, then 14 a few years later. I dunno how much they are now lol. Rattle & Roll.

I've had a couple pairs of Labyrinths Pawn, they're ghostly-smooth!
    I got that Fluckin' Love

XBL
    TheDietTea

I haven't picked out a full setup in a few years but Reds were pretty standard.
    Now I Tend to roll with "Burner" Decks and everything else Generic.
    Guess I just stopped caring.. It never really affected the quality of my enjoyment when skating.
    I was even a bit rash to approach an oldschool board but I got it as a gift, Learned to use it. No different.

Bearings get dirty. Just like everything else, You need to maintain it.
    Guess it comes with buying brands. Haven't really felt the need to keep up with anything Lately.

Actually couldn't answer Knexzor's Posts. More to learn. Keep the thread.

Blazing a Trail

be sure that removing shields on bearings is retarded
    less friction = bullshit

/ engineer in mechanics

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Legba View Post
    Yeah, you can never knock Reds' value. I think they were $12 at my local shop when I first started, then 14 a few years later. I dunno how much they are now lol. Rattle & Roll.

I've had a couple pairs of Labyrinths Pawn, they're ghostly-smooth!
    Yeah, after trying all the different bones Swiss, the Labyrinths really are the best bang for your buck. I tried the Ceramics once, they were great, just too expensive