Thread: Skatepark in da streetz

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Default Skatepark in da streetz

Some one (who I'll keep unnamed) posted this...

I say you can't use a roll in in the streets and compared it to me building kickers up to any rail I skate. Might as well go to the skatepark and it ruins the essence of what we call "street skating" discuss.

And before someone says it I'm talking about more than using a street sign or piece of plywood over a cracking. I'm talking about skatepark features in the streets.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

this is a fucking slap in the face to anybody that's ever cleared the Wallenberg set!
    who the hell brings a roll in to a street sesh?
    better yet,why would Thrasher of all things promote it?

Ya I'm kinda on the fence about it. On one side, he's totally cheating as far as speed is concerned. On the other side, that is 1 big ass sw flip!

the dude switch flipped wallenberg, who cares.

I can barely ride switch so as I'm slightly impressed; come on, that's lame. Street League-lame.
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

thrasher built the damn rollin for the gap contest years back
    its been used tons. it doesnt take away a bit of gnar from the gap. it just gives you a few more tries before collapsing in pain and exhaustion in your shot legs

stop complaing, go there, be awestruck

this switch flip is the sickest evarrr

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
    thrasher built the damn rollin for the gap contest years back
    its been used tons. it doesnt take away a bit of gnar from the gap. it just gives you a few more tries before collapsing in pain and exhaustion in your shot legs

stop complaing, go there, be awestruck

this switch flip is the sickest evarrr
    Interesting. Expected different from you. I'm not saying switch flipping it doesn't require skill and I'm not saying that the gap isn't sick. I just feel like it's what'd they do before the rollin? Just gap the first 2?
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

for the record, most tricks thats been done there has been done using this (or similar) ramp.

exceptions i remember are gonz indy grab (of course) and danny gonzales' kickflip melon. im sure theres more, but last years the start ramp has been standard for sessioning this set

i'm sure somebody's always rigged up a way to get the extra speed,just the whole roll in sitting at a street spot...just feels wrong to me.
    i will give credit where it's due though,sw flipping that set is pretty damn amazing regardless.

as for comparison, whats your opinion of using bungies, or getting toued by car or motorcycle to get speed for sertain spots?

sometimes one have to do whatever to make it happen

as for comparison, whats your opinion of using bungies, or getting toued by car or motorcycle to get speed for sertain spots?

sometimes one have to do whatever to make it happen
    good point man,can't argue that logic.
    never used a bungie but i've towed behind a car a few times so i understand what you're saying.
    roll in just looks out of place,like someone would jokingly photoshop it in.but like i said,thinking on it after my initial reaction,can't knock the results from using it

I think using a car or even a bungee (honestly never see that, at least not in the blade world) is diff entirely that constructing a man made ramp. The car leaves after ur done. Its not something that is out of place being there like m said.

Maybe it's just a difference in cultures. Skateboarding seems to have a lot of focus on one upping each other at the same well known spots. So maybe that's where this comes from because eventually you reach a point where the bar gets raised so high that you need to do something like that to make it happen.

And don't take it as me knocking anyone's ability or putting down and tricks that have been done there but, to me, knowing the rollin is there sorta cheapens it to me.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

XBL
    crni1976

Mamba12 recently posted a vid in this forum titled the Red Bull Perspective. It features a couple of scenes where the skaters make use of some improvised bungee device to gain the necessary speed given some of the tight spots they found themselves in.

Yet for some reason that had a whole different feel to it, compared to the roll in. With similar amazing results though. ..

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    I think using a car or even a bungee (honestly never see that, at least not in the blade world) is diff entirely that constructing a man made ramp. The car leaves after ur done. Its not something that is out of place being there like m said.

Maybe it's just a difference in cultures. Skateboarding seems to have a lot of focus on one upping each other at the same well known spots. So maybe that's where this comes from because eventually you reach a point where the bar gets raised so high that you need to do something like that to make it happen.

And don't take it as me knocking anyone's ability or putting down and tricks that have been done there but, to me, knowing the rollin is there sorta cheapens it to me.
    The way I see it, the car is something everyone has access to. Just like the stairs, the rail, and everything else. Street is about taking what you have, and WORKING with it. If it's near a literal street, use a car to boost your speed, no harm done. The rollin just furthers the gap between the privileged and the underprivileged in the sport. It's like the rich kids having the high scores on an arcade machine, because they can put in more tokens to continue.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

you might as well be in a skatepark if you're gonna use a roll-in. cars and bungees are more "organic" in my mind. you're fundamentally changing the spot by adding a ramp.
    Threat YouTube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by ps3.old-skooler-34
    I watched all the videos and they were ok. I don't have a video, but I can do double back flips to blunt slide AND 360 lazer flip out.. I asked my dad and he agrees, I'm the best on here.

I'm sorry but this thread is retarded. He switched flipped wallenberg, who cares how he got the speed to do it, its still insane regardless of a ramp or not.
    Skateboarders have always found ways to make getting a trick easier, waxing, bondo, cutting trees, why does a rollin matter.
    Appreciate the trick and stop being nit picky, if you care so much about a roll in, go down there and roll up to that set switch yourself and see how easy it is to get speed without it.

pretty sure we've all come to the understanding that the trick was sick,no need to get all shitty about it

I just don't understand why it matters. Its just a rollin. Skateboarding isn't divided between park and street skaters. You should skate everything and have fun, don't worry about the integrity of being a "street skater."

danny gonzales' kickflip melon. im sure theres more, but last years the start ramp has been standard for sessioning this set
    So glad somebody else remembers that shit, so sick! But yeah, they've been using a ramp setup for years.

I never really agreed with it tho. I'm a fan of Forrest and that sw flip was fucking massive! The pop on it? yeesh! But I agree with what luft said, that shit is wack. Ive seen dudes clear it simply by getting a running start. Sure using a roll in saves a lot energy, and the trick itself is still BONKERS, but I dunno; maybe I'm just a luddite. I wanna see the exhaustion. I can identify with the all day struggle for one trick and working through that shit makes the trick more sensational......nobody's hookin me up with a roll-in lol. I think its just a conflict of idealism. My romantic take on how skating should be.
    Still buck nasty tho.
    Last edited by Legba; 03-12-2013 at 01:11 PM.
    I got that Fluckin' Love

i couldn't even bring myself to do it in game...just feels cheap. any trick you do definitely gets and asterisk

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

It wasn't me who posted this or anything... But anyways, WHO CARES it is still an insanely great trick. Basically every trick off of the berg, used that ramp Andrew Reynolds made his own ramp though for his BS Flip off it. Honestly i haven't seen anyone just run up to it and clear it. If you could get a video of that, i would be grateful. Anyways I agree with dead-head, skating is about having fun, not the technicality of what is street and what is not!
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

so if i boardslide a 15ft handicap rail and then you come along and build a kicker up to said handicap rail and lip slide it, it's just as cool?
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Quote Originally Posted by Roccityroller View Post
    so if i boardslide a 15ft handicap rail and then you come along and build a kicker up to said handicap rail and lip slide it, it's just as cool?
    Thats my point, its not really about whats cool . It is about what is fun. So if that is fun to you then i guess so!

Why is this a topic?

Just have fun doing whatever you do, who gives a shit about the 'integrity' of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    Why is this a topic?

Just have fun doing whatever you do, who gives a shit about the 'integrity' of it.
    Yes derk knows what I'm talking about!

Quote Originally Posted by Hobbs View Post
    Honestly i haven't seen anyone just run up to it and clear it. If you could get a video of that, i would be grateful
    2:45 sir..place looks new as hell

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Quote Originally Posted by m.seven View Post
    2:45 sir..place looks new as hell

thanks! that was awesome!

I don't believe mr Chris Cole utilized any skatepark gear. I wouldn't expect him to at least.

^^^
    17 seconds you can see the rollin in the background.
    Last edited by Dead_Head; 03-12-2013 at 03:33 PM.

Steam
    Monkadelic

coles 360 flip and danny G's kickflip melon are the best ever IMO down wallenburg... legit

the kickflip melon is the last trick.. but this whole spot reeks of sickness!