Thread: Xbox 720 AKA Durango Leaked

Awful Awfuls!
    PSN
    Doggdx666

Default Xbox 720 AKA Durango Leaked

In recent memory, rumors have surfaced that suggest the next Xbox, whether it be called the Xbox 720, Durango, or something else entirely, will be a console that is always connected to the internet. This unfortunate notion is commonly referred to as always-on DRM, usually requiring consumers to be online in order to access their software. A new leak is corroborating the always-on rumor, as well as suggesting that the Xbox 720 will require all games to be installed to the hard drive.

We’ve written about the always-on Xbox rumor before, and if you’ve been paying attention to the recent SimCity controversy, you’d know that always-on DRM is rarely met with any kind of positivity from a user standpoint. Always-on DRM is thought to be Microsoft’s answer to curbing used game sales; if the console is always connected, it can verify whether a game is used or not. Ever the vigilant leak mill, VGleaks showed off some Xbox 720 development kit screenshots, and the hardware overview section stated that the console will feature a hard drive with enough storage capacity to hold a large number of games. On top of that, the overview stated that the console will not run games from the optical drive, which would make the optical drive basically an install-slave for games, and nothing more. If the games cannot be run from the optical drive, this is more support for the theory that the Xbox 720 won’t run used games.

Being always-connected and having a mandatory HDD install point to a one-and-done kind of system. Games would be installed from the disc, then activated online. If this system ends up being confirmed, then that means optical discs would most likely just serve as a software backup for the person who installed and activated the game, just in case something happens to the data on the HDD.

Though VGleaks has a decent track record regarding its reports, the hardware overview documentation from the development kit is dated from 2012, which means Microsoft could (or will) have enough time to decide whether or not it wants to stick to its locked-down ideals. Though always-on DRM and curbing used sales may not be enough to crush the console giant, they could certainly do enough harm to send Microsoft reeling back to third place.

We’ve already gotten a good look at the PS4 — the actual PS4 casing aside — and measures as drastic as these rumored Xbox 720 ones were not mentioned. That doesn’t mean that the Xbox 720 will be the only console to employ such measures, it could just mean that Sony has been a more coy about them. However, for the majority of the PS3′s lifecycle, Sony allowed a purchased piece of downloadable content to be shared amongst multiple users who didn’t pay for it. Not too long ago, Sony significantly reduced the number of users that could partake in this software sharing, but still allowed it. Sure, you had to share PSN accounts that store sensitive information, but if you had trusted friends you could easily share legitimately purchased games. The emergence of always-on DRM — and now more rumors corroborating the Xbox 720′s attempt to curb used games sales — are making those days look far gone.

We wouldn’t worry about these Xbox 720 rumors just yet. Considering how powerful internet backlash has become in recent years (somewhat changing Mass Effect 3′s ending, SimCity getting an offline mode to name a few), we wouldn’t worry too much about these rumors until the console actually launches with them.

^Came From:http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/15...720-used-games

My opinion

1. I think this could lose alot of people no used games so if you want to go to game stop then you better have $60 or you wait for the game to lower its price

2. another issue what happen if your xbox gets stolen then your kinda screwed

but besides all the issues might be cool to see that its always online then again that might suck

honestly though im kinda on PlayStation Nation Love to hear your feedback though

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

I'm not bothering with next gen consoles except for the Ouya. They've gone over the edge with greed, and with things PROVEN to not work. I'm done with it. I really hope the gaming industry pulls a 180 to what it once was.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Yeah...If this continues down this path I'm just gonna buy a badass desktop and hook it up to a TV so I can play whatever I want however I want.

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Awful Awfuls!
    PSN
    Doggdx666

Ps4 seems like its gonna win this generation of consoles unless Nintendo does something crazy

XBL
    emericaridr11

Gamestop WILL be missed

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

Quote Originally Posted by doggdx666 View Post
    Ps4 seems like its gonna win this generation of consoles unless Nintendo does something crazy
    I'd hate to say this but from reading this that sounds right.

I don't understand what developers are even thinking now...like when would that ever sound like a good idea to force internet connection? What happens when you just wanna play but you dont have WiFi with you?

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Quote Originally Posted by doggdx666 View Post
    ....unless Nintendo does something crazy
    AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHHAHHAHAAHAHAHAAHAHA AH

that was good, i laughed

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Playstation all the way!
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

PSN
    SolidMojo

Quote Originally Posted by emericaridr11 View Post
    Gamestop WILL be missed
    You wrote that with a straight face?

But yeah, rumours are rumours, glad Sony unveiled their PS4.
    The taste of metal, Disintegrator.

Rumors are trash, whether they seem completely logical or utterly far-fetched.
    I say don't trust anything until you see microsoft say it, or sony for ps4 for that matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

My opinion is that if said rumors are true, MS won't lose any customers whatsoever. We like to talk shit, but we will buy it anyway. The only loser will be Gamestop and other used game dealers who buy back my 60 dollar game for 5 bucks and resell it again for 55 bucks. Fuck them.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

Steam
    ipermy
    XBL
    iperm

I've realized that that is kind of the only fault with gamestop
    and instead of reselling them games, just sell them to other vendors

http://99gamers.com for instance
    check that out