Thread: Skate 3 3D - Stereoscopic Filming and tutorial

Default Skate 3 3D - Stereoscopic Filming and tutorial

I am still alive.. perhaps I should start with that.

Been absent from the community for some time now, and I rarely build parks these days, however I do have something I wanted to share that I was messing with.. well, like a year ago a guess (been forever!).

Actual stereoscopic skateboard videos - generating a video for your left eye and your right eye to create a true stereo 3d sequence.

The idea came late one night skating with the fellas plowing beers, I had just bought a 3D television and had my mind on the format - then it occurred to me that the skate editor allows you to completely control the focal point and camera location on replays. This is PERFECT to create TRUE 3d, not a BS conversion done with a shotty freeware program found on the net.

It's fairly complicated, especially because you have to rely heavily on trial and error to get it right. I've found the best camera settings are prestationed, not the free cam. In order to generate 2 perspectives that will cleanly match you need the camera as still as possible, free cam though possible would be very very complicated because a slight bump up or down on placement and your entire effect is thrown off.

I recommend tripod placement, or the follow cam.

That said, here are the basics:

1. You place your camera, edit your clip down, then save or privately upload your replay.
    2. Do NOT leave the editor, continue working on the same clip!
    3. Select your camera mark (still there from after your first save) so you can move it (carefully), once selected clip your controller - just barely tap it to move the camera ever so slightly to the right (I recommend you always generate your second perspective in the same direction, otherwise you will have inverted clips laced in to your end product)
    4. Opt to no longer move the camera, but adjust the focal point. Decide on your point, generally the object your grinding or utilizing. Again carefully tap your controller to move the current focal point over to the left. Best way I can explain this, think of each camera as an eye. You're simply adjusting your RIGHT eye to center on the same object your left eye would be looking at.
    5. Without changing anything else, save this video or privately upload it.

You now have a left and right perspective of your clip. When you download your vids to your PC for assembly, do yourself a favor and properly label the clip, and the perspective:

clip1_left.flv - clip1_right.flv

You get the drift.

There are plenty of ways to combine these videos into a single clip for video assembly - I used VirtualDub with an Avisynth script for my test video however I know a lot of the big vid guys around here have Sony Vegas, that is more than enough to combine your perspectives. Start researching stereoscopic video creation and you'll find your way. I'll gladly post back the exact script I used if anyone needs it.

Here's my test video, my buddy Stash and I skating at my Brooklyn Banks. To view the 3D effect, you have to cross your eyes to bring the videos together.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iE_cGFOz0I

I was sitting on this idea for a big video which I now realize will never get accomplished so hopefully somebody else can take it and run with it.

PS - you can do photography this way as well, some pretty cool photo ops out there that would look great in 3D.

Jsmith
    Last edited by jsmithLMSL; 03-26-2013 at 01:56 PM.
    Poppin' Wood - Under construction building champions since 5-11-2010

LMSL Parks founder - CAP Faction XBOX division member.

I do not posess the brain power to cross my eyes and have a clear image, it's always blurry as shit.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I do not posess the brain power to cross my eyes and have a clear image, it's always blurry as shit.
    ^^
    This

yeah what they said

1. I did that crossing of the eyes thing on my iPhone. It felt really weird and I'm not sure I did it right, but there were suddenly three frames and it looked sort of different. I also had a slight panic attack while my eyes were re-adjusting.

2. I love the fact that you went from idea to execution and actually explained it for us. With correct spelling and punctuation too, I might add. Bravo!
    Quote Originally Posted by Clayfighter
    this was florescent beige , so good it makes no sense
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevland
    abba is not as cool as nazis but it's fucking close

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

Quote Originally Posted by SK8ERatWAR View Post
    yeah what they said
    yeah
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

and now i have a headache..haha.
    i had the same problem as knex,pretty hard to focus my eyes like that.
    when i did manage to keep focus for a second it looked pretty cool

Blazing a Trail

when I cross my eyes it just takes what is on the screen and brings it further apart X2 and gives me a headache

Does this really work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by FullyFl4RED00 View Post
    when I cross my eyes it just takes what is on the screen and brings it further apart X2 and gives me a headache

Does this really work for you?
    It 100% works for anyone, it's 2 different camera perspectives on a single focus object (as far as it being 3D goes) - whether or not you have the eye control to bring them together is the problem, which I do know guys it's obnoxiously difficult to do it.

Though I made this video last year I kept all the hard copy stuff in a backup folder, I'll dig it out tonight and see what I can do about putting up an anaglyph version, that way if you have a pair of the old Red / Cyan 3D glasses (for example the ones that came packaged with Jackass 3D) you can view it without eye strain.

Blazing a Trail
    XBL
    SalamiAndreas

it worked for me. works just as well as youtube's 3d steroscopic setting.

ignore this post

Last edited by i am a snail; 01-21-2013 at 01:40 PM. Reason: hurrf durf oh god i'm fucking retarded hurf 2 electric boogaloo

PSN
    Matthew_Slayer

Made this like a year ago. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlQmFjNBS0

XBL
    Yarivpa

It works for me and it´s really cool ! Please more!
    Let the good times roll !

Quote Originally Posted by Groove View Post
    Great edit!

Looked awesome on my TV - and an even better example than the one I provided that this works very well. A little time consuming, but in the end I think the footage is worth it.