Thread: Correct trick names.

Seeing the Light

Default Correct trick names.

I apologise if there is already a post for this but lately I've noticed a LOT of confusion regarding tricks done fakie, particularly on ledges and rails, and being named wrong. For example: Someone performing a fakie backside boardslide and naming it a fakie backside lipslide, but then having someone say it's a fakie frontside boardslide because the rail was in front of him.

Basically I just want to know what you guys think about fakie tricks, and what you call certain fakie tricks. Or if you yourself have any confusion about fakie tricks. See if we can all learn something.

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

how can a backside boardslide be a backside lipslide, that is just not possible:

to clear things out:

backside boardslide = boardslide -> you look down the stairs while sliding top of the stairs is in your back (same with lipslide, but you ollie over the rail)
    frontside boardslide -> your back faces down the stairs while sliding (slide direction bs lipslide)

switch, fakie or so doesn't matter in this case
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

Seeing the Light

Quote Originally Posted by fallingskyline View Post
    how can a backside boardslide be a backside lipslide, that is just not possible:

to clear things out:

backside boardslide = boardslide -> you look down the stairs while sliding top of the stairs is in your back (same with lipslide, but you ollie over the rail)
    frontside boardslide -> your back faces down the stairs while sliding (slide direction bs lipslide)

switch, fakie or so doesn't matter in this case
    Yes, you're right about the basic frontside and backside boardslides... as for the going fakie, it definitely matters. EVERYTHING is opposite.
    Frontside becomes backside/backside becomes frontside, boardslides become lipslides/lipslides become boardslides. Tailslides become noseslides/noseslides become tailslides.

PSN
    nigarachi_sijupo

Quote Originally Posted by AaronRedpath View Post
    Yes, you're right about the basic frontside and backside boardslides... as for the going fakie, it definitely matters. EVERYTHING is opposite.
    Frontside becomes backside/backside becomes frontside, boardslides become lipslides/lipslides become boardslides. Tailslides become noseslides/noseslides become tailslides.
    That opposite thing doesnt apply to fakie only nollie
    BREAST MILK MADE ME STRONG

oh again with the lingo..

Steam
    James Granko
    PSN
    Grankosson
    XBL
    H TIO

I don't give a fuck anymore, I just say boardslide or lipslide. I'll never get a hang of this frontside/backside-deal so I just never say it. Haha.

I'm glad people aren't arguing about that direction difference of fakie and nollie...that shit is annoying as hell and I BET that everyone here has different opinion about it.

Steam
    fallingskyline
    PSN
    fallingskyline
    XBL
    fallingskyline

that is plain bullshit.
    direction doesn't turn, if your backside on a rail, you're backside on a rail. the only thing you have to have in mind, maybe the fact, that a fakie ollie backside boardslide is a halfcab boardslide or if you don't do a halfcab its a fakie ollie switch fs boardslide...

i guess i have to make a litte video to show what what board-/lipslide is called...

Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I'm glad people aren't arguing about that direction difference of fakie and nollie...that shit is annoying as hell and I BET that everyone here has different opinion about it.
    a fakie ollie is a switch nollie and a nollie is a switch fakie ollie
    Skate Till Death (STD) / Doppelgänger Produktion (DP) / Small Town Crime (STC) / Dharma Inc. / Cap Faction ST

XBL
    TheDietTea

Leave it to the pros

Oh yeah i know that but i was meaning that difference of turning directions...in fakie fs ollie you turn to the direction of your back but in fs nollie you turn to the direction of your stomach...same with fakie fs shove it and nollie fs shove it.

I just check out the ladies' backsides and keep my frontside out of trouble

that is the dumbest thing i ever heard

Quote Originally Posted by jimmy2times79 View Post
    that is the dumbest thing i ever heard
    HAHAHA yup, I think he was joking though.

At least I hope he was...

fakie ollie switch fs boardslide...
    But on a serious note, if you start off fakie, it doesnt change to switch mid-trick. The trick you're describing is a fakie backside lipslide. Hesh's post 2 below clarifies this well.
    Last edited by briden; 05-22-2013 at 10:37 AM.

hes not. and hes right.

If you want to learn how to differentiate between FS and BS, watch more vert skating and apply it to street.
    The confusion arises when you try to determine FS/BS without a reference to where the terms came from.

Steam
    LowKeyIndustries
    XBL
    SteezOner

We should all just get the TONY HAWK TRICK READER 3000 implanted in our brains, that shows in the bottom of the screen in the games.

Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    I want a city to be absolutely covered with scooter kids, like pigeons or rats, and if you hit just one of them, their parents run over and break your board and you can only play the game again when you purchase another 'online pass', aka a new deck, at 49.99, minimum!

Seeing the Light

I didn't start this thread for an argument. Simply to find out other skateboarders general opinion, and perhaps to educate those who aren't quite sure.

Here are 4 things I know for a fact:

1) After a fakie ollie, EVERYTHING is opposite to nollie. for example - Nollie fs 180 = fakie bs 180 (halfcab). Nollie nosegrind = fakie 5-0. Nollie bs tailslide = fs half cab to frontside noseslide. Nollie fs noseblunt = fakie bs blunt.
    2) As for lipslides, same thing applies (remember - if the BACK truck goes over the rail first, it's a lipslide) For example - Nollie fs boardslide = fakie backlip. Nollie bs boardslide = fakie frontlip. (I'm sure you figure out the nollie lipslide variations.)
    3) You don't do switch tricks from a fakie ollie. EXCEPT for crooked grinds.
    4) The whole "rail behind you = backside, rail in front of you = frontside" only applies when rolling regular (and nollie) and switch.

I've been skateboarding for about 12 years now, and that is what I've ALWAYS known. I'd also recommend referencing The Berrics Trickipedia.

I would still love to hear everyones opinion on this. And if you disagree, explain why. I would love to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Granka View Post
    I don't give a fuck anymore, I just say boardslide or lipslide. I'll never get a hang of this frontside/backside-deal so I just never say it. Haha.
    fuck i thought i was the only one. figured that much cause i dont skate in real life like most here lol

1) After a fakie ollie, EVERYTHING is opposite to nollie. for example - Nollie fs 180 = fakie bs 180 (halfcab). Nollie nosegrind = fakie 5-0. Nollie bs tailslide = fs half cab to frontside noseslide. Nollie fs noseblunt = fakie bs blunt.
    You're on the right track, but going around the reasoning. The whole equals thing works as a comparison, but it breaks down with smith, crook, feeble, any of the -cane's. The coincidental opposite effect comes from fakie being regular backwards, and nollie being regular forwards on the nose, but fs and bs don't always switch. The concept of fakie was around way before nollie was, and like hesh said it came from vert terminology.

And why make an exception for fakie crooked grinds?
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself now

Some people are just so sensitive about this exact discussion, not just talking about this forum. One guy who i've been friends with for quite a few years almost wanted to fight me simply because I said he was doing a back boardside on this flat bar that someone brought to the park, he was calling it a front board and got enraged when I said what it was. I never got upset if I named a trick wrong, if someone saw what I did and I described the trick wrong and he said 'oh, you mean backside mcrib flip?' I wouldn't throw a tantrum over it, just say something like 'Is that what it's called? My bad.'

I have a fun story though, this small child decided to pick up skating and comes to the park once and a while, he never calls tricks frontside or backside, he says 'FS' and 'BS,' literally. If you did a frontside flip against him in skate, he'd say 'was that a fs flip?' We tried telling him what fs and bs means, but his brain won't consume the information, too busy being a child to comprehend actually concentrating on something.
    Last edited by NotedDerk; 05-22-2013 at 11:55 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wiltzuh View Post
    I skate unrealistic in real life...i just learned ungrindables at my local park !
    Videos; www.youtube.com/derwreck

XBL
    crni1976

Quote Originally Posted by briden View Post
    You're on the right track, but going around the reasoning. The whole equals thing works as a comparison, but it breaks down with smith, crook, feeble, any of the -cane's. The coincidental opposite effect comes from fakie being regular backwards, and nollie being regular forwards on the nose, but fs and bs don't always switch. The concept of fakie was around way before nollie was, and like hesh said it came from vert terminology.

And why make an exception for fakie crooked grinds?
    Wtf? You actually lost me there. Sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around things. This is one of those times. I'm sure you're right though. Just can't comprehend it yet.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Is fakie two sided?
    Like ok, switch is your dominate pushing foot in front.
    What if you're riding "SWITCH" Fakie..
    foot placement is switch but you're backwards.
    I'm guessing it's not a real thing because it sounds odd but I never did ask anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by crni1976 View Post
    Wtf? You actually lost me there. Sometimes I have a hard time wrapping my mind around things. This is one of those times. I'm sure you're right though. Just can't comprehend it yet.
    I was basically saying that he got to the right answer, but skipped a few steps in explaining and missed some crucial points. Most people who started skating more recently seem to think that a fakie ollie is a switch nollie, but that logic makes trick names ridiculously hard to comprehend, again leading back to the vert thing. If you REALLY want I'll write out a long-as-fuck message for you, but I don't want to clog this thread up.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Is fakie two sided?
    Like ok, switch is your dominate pushing foot in front.
    What if you're riding "SWITCH" Fakie..
    foot placement is switch but you're backwards.
    I'm guessing it's not a real thing because it sounds odd but I never did ask anyone.
    Could you please draw a picture or take a photo because this is confusing, but absolutely fascinating.

XBL
    Tilbor

for it to be a lip the part of the board popping has to go over the rail or ledge, if it doesn't, it's not a lip

XBL
    TheDietTea

Ok so the only reason I ask about it is that traditionally fakie is technically your dominate pushing foot in front while youre backwards. You can however, stand in your regular stance and take what is a pretty awkward push for momentum taking you backwards or even push off of a wall or obstacle, to be riding backwards without the switchup. Sorry for the run on not near my pc. Get what im saying though?

Awful Awfuls!

ive heard someone say "switch nollie tre" when they couldve said fakie tre
    GT:themikeskates

Quote Originally Posted by Tilburr View Post
    for it to be a lip the part of the board popping has to go over the rail or ledge, if it doesn't, it's not a lip
    Not true for nollie though.

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    Ok so the only reason I ask about it is that traditionally fakie is technically your dominate pushing foot in front while youre backwards. You can however, stand in your regular stance and take what is a pretty awkward push for momentum taking you backwards or even push off of a wall or obstacle, to be riding backwards without the switchup. Sorry for the run on not near my pc. Get what im saying though?
    I think i got you, but fakie is just a stance so it doesn't really matter how you get into it. If you did a fully backwards facing kickflip, it'd be awkward and cool, but still be a fakie kickflip, if that's what you're getting at.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah, that. I guess its more feeling and knowing how you got into it. Wouldnt look much different if you cut out the backwards push. What if you apply the same method to switch though, no difference?

Seeing the Light

[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by Tilburr View Post
    The only think you have to remember for lip slides is the BACK truck. If the back truck goes over the rail first, it's a lipslide. That applies for the switch, nollie, fakie and regular. BUT! When riding fakie, your back truck will be at the front. I hope that makes sense.

If you REALLY want I'll write out a long-as-fuck message for you
    I'd actually love to read this.

Gnarly-(Nar-lee) Adj. A term meaning bad, horrible, or sketchy. "Man that's some gnarly paint on that house."

Pusher- (Pusher) Noun. A kid that talks about skating and how good he is, but won't go skating with you or your friends. "Dude Ethan is such a pusher, he always talks like he's big and bad."

Noggles- (Nog-gels) Noun. When you lightly tap your nuts, not hard enough to hurt but enough to scare you. "Ahhhh noggles!"

Diamondz- (Die-Mond-s) Adj. A super smooth or perfectly executed trick. "Man that kickflip was diamondz."

Ass Knife-(Ass Nif) Noun. When you mess up a trick and the board comes up and sticks you in the butt. "Dude Josh looked like he was enjoying that ass knife."

Bro-(Bro) Noun. A fellow skater or friend. "Hey, meet my bro Bobby."

Dude-(Dude) Noun. See above.

Smooth-(Smoo-th) Adj. A trick that is performed above normal standards, but not quite diamondz. "Man that nooseslide was smooth."

Sketchy-(Sket-chee) Adj. A trick that needs some work, or looked not so nice. "Man that boardslide was sketchy."

Piss-Peadaling- (Piss Ped-ul-ing) Noun. The act of pumping mongo. "Dude Ryan is piss peadaling."

Mongo-(Mon-go) Noun. Pumping with your front foot instead of back, also called piss peadaling. "That skater was pumping mongo."

Sick-(Sik) Adj. Meaning awesome, skillful, or sweet. "Dude that half-cab over that nine set was sick!"

Set-(Set) Noun. A set of stairs. "Man you just ollied that twelve set!"

Kinked-(Kink-d) Noun. A rail with bumps in it. "Did he just 50-50 that double kink?"

Suspect-(sus-pect) Adj. When a picture looks like the skater didn't actually land it. "Jimmy's pics are totally suspect."

Barrel-(Bare-ul) Noun. A fat chick. "Man check out the size of that barrel."

Donut Shop-(Do-nut Shop) Noun. Cops. Pigs. Bacon. "Man here comes the donut shop."

Session-(Sesh-un) Noun. A time that you go out and skate. "Dude let's go bust out a J-Town session."

Bail-(Bay-L) Verb. The act of falling off your board. "Man he had to bail on the huge kicker."

Locals-(Lo-kals) Noun. The kids that frequently session an area that you're in. "The locals showed me some sick spots."

Mobbed-(mob-D) Adj. A not so great trick. "Man my heelflips are mobbed."

B.G.P.'s-(B.G.P.'s) noun. Background props, when your in the background of a photo. "Man mark has some mad B.G.P.'s"

B.G.L.-(B.G.L.) Noun. Background Loser, some always getting B.G.P.'s. "Dude Mark is a hardcore B.G.L."

Dag-(daag) Interjection. An expression that can mean anything. "Dag that was sweet!"

Airfeet-(Air-feet) Adj. When your feet come completely off the board when ollieng something. "Jared had some sick airfeet over those five boards."

Tricktionary-(Trik-shun-air-e) Noun. A bag of tricks so sick they need to be catalogued. "Dude bobby is doin' some mad shit out of his tricktionary."

chode-(ch-o-Duh) Noun. A crusty piece of poop on your butt. also an inslut. "Dude Jason is such a chode."

Hammer gloves-(HaM-MER GLUV-S) nOUN. gLOVES WORE WHILE SKATING TO PROTECT YOUR HANDS. "dUDE HES A PANSY WEARING THOSE HAMMER GLOVES."

Nups-(n-ups) Noun. When someone out performs your tricks. "Man why does Nick always have to bust out his nups?"

B.E.V.-(B.e.v.) noun. Birds eye view, used when taking pictures or videos. "Hey Donald, climb that baskball pole and get a B.E.v. for this kickflip."

Mellow- (mel-o) adj. To be calm and relaxed. "Hey don't get pissed Mellow out man."

Hamster- (Ham-stur) Adverb. A replacement for the word fuck, usually used around rents or cops. "hamster this place im out."

Trippy- (Trip-pee) Adj. Something crazy that messes with your head. "That necklace is totally trippy."

Schralped- (Shh-ral-pt) verb. To remove a few layers of skin from your body. "Dude i totally schralped my ass hardcore."

Ill- (ill) Adj. A synonym for sick. "Man that is an ill board."

Down- (Dow-n) Adj. To be in with whatever is happening. "Are you down with that?"

Old School- (old skool) Noun. Ancient art of skateboarding using fishtail boards and lots of grab tricks. "Dude that boni-oni is hardcore old school."

Technical- (Tek-nik-ul) Noun. New skateboarding, combining many tricks. "Rodney Mullen busts out serious technical skating.

Tangent- (Tan-gent) noun. When you start ranting about something for a while. "Man we got off on some stupid tangent about knees."

Flip Flop- (Flip Flop) Noun. Someone who doesn't know who they are and tries to be multiple things. "John is such a flip-flop, he doesn't know whether to be a prep or a skater."

Props- (props) Adj. Respect to someone. "Man You get mad props for that skill."

On the hook- (on the hook) Phrase. Meaning uncool, or lame. "Dude that shirt is so on the hook."

Off the Hook- (Off the hook) Phrase. Meaning way cool, sweet. "Man that is off the hook, where'd you get them sweatpants?"

Fetus- (fee-tus) Noun. An unborn baby, also a major insult. "Danny is such a Hamster Fetus."

Street- (st-ree-t) Adj. Type of skating involving curbs, rails, and pyramids, also done on the streets. "Street skating is the only way to go."

Vert- (Vert) Adj. Type of skating involving half-pipes. "Bob is a major vert skater."

Yoinker- (yoink-er) Noun. SOmeone that steals other peoples stuff and has no original ideas. "John is such a yoinker, he can't come up with anything on his own."

Sheep- (shee-p) Noun. A person that follows others just to be cool. "Dude this place is full of sheep."

Punk- (punk) Noun. Derived from punk rockers, typicaly listening to punk rock, and associated with skaters. "Jay is so punk, i mean he didn't used to listen to rap, like other people he knows."

Missle Tip- (miss-ul Tip) Noun. When your board's nose becomes angled and pointy, usually from bad kickflips. "Holy crap bobby, that board has a major Missle tip."

Crazy Texan- (Cra-Z Tex-N) Phrase. A person that goes psycho on their board and throws it around a lot. "Dude he's going crazy Texan all out."

Betty- (Bet-T) Noun. An extremely hot girl. "yea jaime is such a betty."

Grindage- (Gr-ind-ige) Noun. Good food, like pizza. "Jared you wanna go get some grindage?"

Toeside- (T-o-siduh) Noun. The side of your board your toes face to. "Grab the board toeside."

Heelside- (He-ul-siduh) Noun. The side of your board your heels face. "Grab the board heelside."

Knuckle Dragger- (nuck-ul Drag-gur) Noun. A person that always touches the ground or obstacle during or after a trick. "Man Jimmy is such a knuckle dragger."

Letter In Mailbox- (Let-ter in maal-box) Phrase. A really bad wedgie. "Jared theres a letter in your mailbox."

Stoked- (sto-k-t) verb. To be really excited about something. "Man i'm so stoked about going to the skatepark."

Nus- (n-us) adjective. When someone is spaced out or not paying attention. "man you look totally nussed."

Rasta- (Raa-Stuh) Noun. Short for Rastafarian, a skater who is known for high ollies, being totally laid back, and having sufficient pot smoking skills. "Dude check out that group of rasta's"

Nutted- (nut-ted) Verb. To land on your nuts... "He just nutted himself on that massive handrail"

Noob- you

Blazing a Trail

haha

i feel like some of you are bringing a lot of bullshit to the discussion.
    Last edited by Slamooh; 05-23-2013 at 01:04 AM.

Seeing the Light

Hahaha. Epic. Although I was expecting it to more about that Fakie/lipslide/vert conversation.

I know less about skateboarding after reading this thread.
    likebuttermag.com
    XBL: BladderBoy
    PSN: TheLikeButterGuy
    Steam: monthackma

i give my tricks human names, like hurricanes. i dont mean i call any trick a hurricane, that wouldnt be legit. i call them Irene and Carol and Diane and shit like that. and switch tricks get a mans name