Thread: Buying a complete (need help/advice please)

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    SmurfsInABox

Default Buying a complete (need help/advice please)

I haven't owned a skateboard since I was about 8 years old. I've been snowboarding for the past 7 years and always struggle through the summer because of the lack of board sports that I do once the snowboard season ends. I've always wanted to have something close to snowboarding to do during the summer so why not start skating again? My biggest problem, at the moment, is just trying to figure out what I need set up wise. I feel like I'm being bombarded by all sorts of different measurement sizes and countless skate tech terms. I'll post a link to all of the parts that I'm planning on ordering and hopefully you guys can point out any flaws in my potential choices and give me some alternatives that would be more suitable. I'm 5' 8" and have size 10.5 shoes, if that helps.

Thanks for any advice that you can give me

Skateboard parts list
    http://www.tactics.com/baker/lenoce-...kateboard-deck
    http://www.tactics.com/thunder/polis...olished-147-lo
    http://www.tactics.com/bones/mumford...els/oh-gee-83b
    http://www.tactics.com/independent/g...hardware/black
    http://www.tactics.com/diamond-suppl...board-bearings
    NOIR / Legacy / MethMonsters

8 incher board works well at the beginning...you'll see if it's too big or small or just perfect. Wheels and how hard they will be depends on what you wanna do. If you wanna skate ramps and pools i would tell you to pick soft wheels but otherwise i would pick harder ones.
    Everyone has their own opinions about "what is best complete". It's all about what you wanna do with your board.

All i'm gonna say is that i recommend you to put money to your complete. You're just gonna lose your interest if the complete is bad.

Edit: Noticed that parts list...I don't really like thunder trucks. They didn't work for me. But then again...if they didn't work for me, they may work for someone else...

XBL
    TheDietTea

Yeah I hear certain wheels help with certain styles.
    Other than that I don't think it matters..
    People will skate what feels good to them.

I don't really buy into brands anymore not like I used to.
    If I get something specific brand it's gotta be because I've heard about the quality of it.
    I've got a shit ton of local shop decks though. Got them cheap or free and they've been stacking up.
    You'd be amazed what people will give you or just throw out around some of the skateparks.

Shit you may start skating again and hate anything that's like a snowboard
    or maybe you'll get a board that's like a snowboard I dunno that's up to you.
    I like physical shops though, some of them will let you stand on the board and see how it feels.
    If they are real cool you could ride it back n forth in the shop.
    If you buy it all online I'm not sure the return would go over so well!

Good luck with it though, might take a few decks to find what works. It did for me anyway.

most skateshops will let you stand on the deck so you can see how it feels,so I'd go with what feels good under your feet.
    everybody's gonna have a different opinion on truck brands based on weight and how well they turn.personally I've always rode Indy..bit on the heavy side but they turn best out of any brand I've tried.
    wheels depends on what you're skating..i always preferred a softer wheel for street skating and harder for vert and parks.maybe try around a 95 durometer for some middle ground there.
    hardware's pretty much whatever
    bearings I like bones,usually get swiss myself
    hope I was of some help

XBL
    x1mmortal

My personal preference are Baker boards. Not picky on trucks, but I'd choose Independents. Wheels and bearings would be Bones, different brands I think for them. And with grip you can't go wrong with Mob Grip, Grizzly Grip, or Jessop.

Glad to see you picking up skating.
    Quote Originally Posted by NotedDerk View Post
    you do any of that first try realistic garbage on that damn boat and I'm not using it.
    Quote Originally Posted by momadaddy View Post
    i mostly play with myself
    Xbox is GONEEEE.

Awful Awfuls!

yeah indy trucks are the best hands down. for your bushings you should go with bones, they're the best. and you could also try shake junt bearings, got mine for $5 and they have lasted me a year and still work amazing (even after skating in the rain a lot). for the board it all depends on what you're planning on doing. for street around 8 is good, for transition around 8.5 is good and somewhere between 8.25-8.4 is good if you're planning on doing both (this is all my personal preference).

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

The deck is fine as 8.0 is a good starting size and the deck width I prefer these days range between 8.0-8.5 overall.
    Trucks I personally only ride Independent and have for close to 30 years now. Indy 139 is the size I use.
    *Note for Indy: Do not buy the shitty "Hollow" or "T Hanger" versions.
    Those wheels to me are far too squishy, but the brand is fine. I run 52mm/92dur Spitfires as my poison of choice.
    If you are Street/Park use 50-55mm Diameter and 90+ Durometer (95+ for heavy vert/park focus).
    The hardware is fine.
    Bearings... The ABEC 7's you chose are fine. I personally run NMB 608z's because I like more durability.
    *608z vs Abec 7 is basically Durability vs Speed. I'd wager 90%+ skaters use Abec 7 these days.

A good tip is to try a friends board or go to a local shop and see if they have decks you can stand on.
    When you find a width that feel comfortable go with that one. 8.0 is the base these days.
    I started out on 4.0 flex boards, then transitioned to 10.0 Pro models back in the early 80's.
    Hope this helps.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

All the parts you picked out will do just fine, and because theyre all middle-of-the-road type stuff, it will give you a good sense of what youll want to change in the future (i.e. deck size and shape, wheel hardness, etc.)
    The only thing is, as a snowboarder, I assume youll probably be bombing hills and stuff..so I would go with indys (stage 11 139s) just because they turn so well and they will last a lot longer than thunders. Besides..indy hardware on thunders is sort of weird. Depending on your budget, check out Shorty's hardware and Black Magic grip..those to me are the best.

UG/Popless Pioneer pawnluvguitarist's Avatar

A lot of it is just preference. I ride a little freestyle deck with little trucks so I'm not much help. I do highly recommend Bones wheels and Bones Labyrinth bearings

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

For me i say the baker is definitely a great idea! They have lots of pop for sure, same goes with deathwish! The size seems about right, i just switched from 7.75 to 8.0 and i absolutley love it.

For the thunder trucks, i also agree a lot! Dont get indies, because not only are they not good imo, they get way too much profit. Thunders dont have nearly as much people buying them, just because indies have been around a ton longer.

As for the wheels, are you planning to skate street, or tranny and vert? If you like to skate more ramps and shit, than the softer wheels will most likely enjoy a softer wheel. If you are planning to skate street, than the hard wheels will be better for you. Size 53 is about right, that is what i skate, but size 52 is what most people skate. I completely agree with the decision on getting bones! They are honestly the best wheel ever!

The hardware doesn't really make a difference so sure that is good enough, but im almost positive thunders already come with hardware...

The bearings seem good, never skated those before though. I have heard good things about diamond bearings. I really really prefer bones or rush bearings though, but whatever floats your boat i guess.

Your whole setup seems to fit my standards though except for the loss of griptape! Your gonna want griptape for sure. I suggest Jessup if you dont want new shoes every other two weeks. I suggest mob if you want more grip, but they absolutley kill your shoes. You will find yourself buying new shoes near every 2-3 weeks. Finally there is grizzly, which is a happy medium between both grips! I personally skate either mob or jessup though.

Your setup is overall rad, and you should most likley have some badass fun on that setup!

I am really glad to see a true snowboarder start skating again. I want to hear how you have progressed keep me updated man !!
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420

indy's aren't good because they make too much profit?
    hobbs,that's the most retarded thing I've seen you post..and that's saying alot

PSN
    Ellishobbs27

lol i just was saying that i don't like them, and another reason is how they are the leading profit makers in the truck industry, and i would rather support another company, that doesnt make as much profit.
    "Release your inner homo" - Valleyboy420