Thread: Screw iMacs! rethink your "buy"

XBL
    emericaridr11

Default Screw iMacs! rethink your "buy"

so my 2006 shitty as all can be white imac is dying.....so i buy a 2009 24inch Aluminum iMac (much better specs than my kiddie comp now)
    going to be doing ALOT of Cinema4d Sports Bumpers, so time to test this new Computer - turn on - add C4d......All is going good, much faster than my old one

I have a FanController running, see the internal Temp of the new iMac is 55-60 celsius (seems normal while doing mad 3-d work)....BUT
    I feel the left side of the computer and its WAY TOO HOT to be normal, did alot of research and its very "normal"....Aluminum acts as a 2nd "Heat Sink"...... ok fine, I get it

now I left the computer on for 2-3 hours with Cinema 4d open doing work...comp seemed fine BUT the screen got really bad "Screen Persistent" (so when I close C4d its still "burnt" into the LCD Screen, goes away after like hours and hours of a screen saver going, but VERY frustrating)

now I know this is caused by the Lcd Screen being so close to the Heat Source....needless to say IM PISSED! what a fucking stupid design, I never dog Apple but holy shit RETARDED

my white all plastic iMac never gets this hot to touch, never messed with the screen... and still held better internal temps then this iMac with literally twice as worse specs (on everything)

Basically saying this.......

If your thinking about getting a Aluminum iMac and plan to do some Heavy Load Editing....
    SERIOUSLY rethink what your buying
    sure its nice for everyday multimedia, but let me tell you this thing gets SCARY hot...for reals

Im selling my iMac today on Craigslist (thank god, I only lose 25 bucks, and the buyer is fully aware of the "problem") and buying a Older QuadCore Xeon MACpro (no monitor)

Be careful!!

btw Full aint ever coming out, I lost everything on my External Drive....FARTS!!!!!

Last edited by emericaridr11; 11-11-2013 at 01:23 AM.

hahaha

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
    hahaha
    indeed

I feel for you man. That sucks. At least you're able to get rid of the "problem." Cheers to future footy

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    I feel for you man. That sucks. At least you're able to get rid of the "problem." Cheers to future footy
    ended up loosing 50 bucks....still cant believe this design for the iMacs, and how everyone is so in Love with them
    wild, scary machine

If it's like, grey, is it the one you're talking about?

fuck

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by Goon_Panda View Post
    If it's like, grey, is it the one you're talking about?

fuck
    confusing comment....Come Again Goon?

the iMac i bought was this one (with upgrade Graphics Card and 1tb HD) - http://www.everymac.com/systems/appl...009-specs.html

but I heard the problem is even worse with 2011 27" iMacs (and even newest ones 2012-2013)

this is what Im thinking of buying now: MacPro 3.1 (efi 64bit was a must for me, as the older MacPros only run in 32bit Kernel) - http://denver.craigslist.org/sys/4181100515.html
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 11-12-2013 at 05:14 AM.

okay, sorry for laughing at your problem.. i guess its kinda real, even tho its affecting a tiny fraction of all machines out there. i use, and have used several imacs, and im fully aware of the heating "problem". they get mad hot. but luckily they are designed for it, ads you say, the alu does the job as heat sink aswell as an outer box. had your troubling imac had any guarantee left youd be getting a replacement asap, no questions asked if it has affected your screen. ive never seen that problem, but i see the possibility i guess.

anyway, dont get scared becasue one imac gives you problems, theres millions out there functioning perfectly.

but if your choise i made and youll buy that used/refurbed mac pro, youll get a better machine in the long run.

(but given the choise between your new choosen mac pro and a new imac id grab the imac in a heartbeat.)

E, they have those at the office my mum works at. One of them melted a hole into a desk this morning. Strange coincidence.

XBL
    emericaridr11

okay, sorry for laughing at your problem.. i guess its kinda real, even tho its affecting a tiny fraction of all machines out there. i use, and have used several imacs, and im fully aware of the heating "problem". they get mad hot. but luckily they are designed for it, ads you say, the alu does the job as heat sink aswell as an outer box. had your troubling imac had any guarantee left youd be getting a replacement asap, no questions asked if it has affected your screen. ive never seen that problem, but i see the possibility i guess.

anyway, dont get scared becasue one imac gives you problems, theres millions out there functioning perfectly.

but if your choise i made and youll buy that used/refurbed mac pro, youll get a better machine in the long run.

(but given the choise between your new choosen mac pro and a new imac id grab the imac in a heartbeat.)
    haha dont worry about laughing its a "funny" situation.... pissed me off, but I ok to laugh at it myself

and Apple doesnt replace Screens as they say its a Environmental Issue (how you keep your comp stored), I tried it had 1 year warrenty left.....wont even look at it Fuck my Apple Store
    and of course there is millions of Imacs in great shape, but the amount of complaints ive read and heard about is REDIC!

many peeps would choose the iMac over the Pro, which is why i DID too......HUGE MISTAKE
    just tryin to help some fools out, dont go buying all nilly willy

Really think about what your getting, I will never buy a iMac thats older than 2012 now.... installing SMCfan helped, running my fans at high ass speed, but FUCK THAT

btw its not a new iMac its a 2009 one... 2013 components Im sure take heat much better, as well probs have a better lcd screen now (with no yellow backlighting), and better Processing Power (new tech), but I aint got $1500...

Im happy(ish) now that the HeatMonster is gone..cheers for the comments Bohems! guess Im just more so venting frustration

and goon thats nutty

you mean the MacPro? wild
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 11-12-2013 at 02:33 AM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

GeekBench - (I realize this doesnt show the comparison greatly, but good start)
    this cracks me up- my current comp is PITIFUL!!!!!!

-Best MacPro (since 2010): 26849

-Best iMac: iMac i7 (2013) - 14670

-Macpro I want (2008): 11173

-iMac I bought (2009): 3099

-My Current iMac (2006)- 2043

2008 MacPro looks fairly good for the age, I wont be able to buy anything over 2009 most likely anyways (just to expensive)...

i7 iMac will be faster than the old MacPro..... but going from my current machine to the MacPro would be a HUGE increase right?
    add a GTX or Quadro Card evetually....Im good to go for a few years right?

gotta have GPU/CUDA action for Adobe

a boy can dream

XBL
    emericaridr11

a boy can dream

haha my brother was showing me something similar to this, fucking Insane

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"