Thread: PS3 wont read games. Happened to you?

Fluckit Master

Default PS3 wont read games. Happened to you?

So since today (been using the ps3 all good since I bought it 2 years ago), I tried to put a game in the console (ps3 slim 120gb, 2 years old, first owner), and the game wont load.

Once the disc is in, it doesn't make the usual 'reading' noises but, the rotor has to be working because the disc doesn't come out in the same position as I put it in (I was told to try this).

the other weird thing is, I put the disc in, makes tiny little reading noises and at one point, between 8-12 seconds after putting the disc in, it sounds like the disc will eject, but it doesn't (doesn't even appear to be coming out, just the sounds, and 'gets' back in).

Did this happened to anyone of you? I don't know who else to ask.

Awful Awfuls!

Hmm…I think I've had this happen before. Coming from my experience, it's possible, unfortunately, that the Blu-ray laser used to read the games is coming close to being dead.

I remember hearing those noises when I had my previous PS3, and was able to eject the disc manually instead of the system automatically ejecting it. Also, I did have the PS3 for that same amount of time, if I recall.

I'm really hoping that's not the case, but it sounds like you're getting the Blu-ray Laser of Death. If it is, I'm really sorry.

Fluckit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Amphan View Post
    Hmm…I think I've had this happen before. Coming from my experience, it's possible, unfortunately, that the Blu-ray laser used to read the games is coming close to being dead.

I remember hearing those noises when I had my previous PS3, and was able to eject the disc manually instead of the system automatically ejecting it. Also, I did have the PS3 for that same amount of time, if I recall.

I'm really hoping that's not the case, but it sounds like you're getting the Blu-ray Laser of Death. If it is, I'm really sorry.
    Yeah man, this really sucks. Plus, prices in southamerica for anything electronic-related are sky high.

UPDATE, ps3 will read random dvds (music, skate dvds, and more). It just doesn't read games.
    Doing a little research I found that maybe the reader hardware is de-calibrated. Or it could be software related, something about an XMB bar??

anyhow, I'm taking it to the local shop tomorrow, and I will then decide what to do.