Thread: GODZILLA 2014 (spoilers)

Default GODZILLA 2014 (spoilers)

few spoilers...

YOUVE BEEN WARNED.....

demzilla review....
    saw the early last night, it was fucking awesome.

the first hour ...
    the story built appropriately in the first hour introducing a reason for any of the characters to matter. we all know godzilla films have humans. humans have emotions and monsters are scary. as lazy. bland, poor dialogue or what ever you would like to call it, the people and plots matter for the movie to even work. bryan cranstens plot was great. he had reason. anger. motivation. proof, but more importantly what happens to him has to happen to him in order for our main protagonist to get to fucking work. the main dude who i know as ATJ because i dont actually care to remember his name was ok. he is not a seasoned actor, he also didnt have the most impressive heavy dialogue run to make you want to punch him in the face. small sentences and back to w.e else is happening in the world. hes there for muscle, running, jumping, generally just not being old and still being able to do shit. which works in context. remember we want the pace to build we dont want a story about shit that doesnt matter to the fucking giant monster wondering all over the planet. he was ok. thats all he needed to be. the hot olsen....useless....she literally could not have been in the movie. she by no means takes up to much time on screen which is great but again. coulda just left her out. ATJ son could of just kicked it at home and it still would have been enough motivations for homeboy to want to help save his family/son. congrates hot olsen, you got paychecks and residuals. i think ken wantanabi looked like he was on heavy drugs the entire movie...youll see what i mean..he did a find job..his character just looks wasted...

the pace...
    as anyone that has ever seen my fake skate edits should know i love pace. the build up of sorts. Godzilla 2014 is getting a lot of flake for not showing godzilla earlier in the film. every reviewer and comment ive read almost makes it seem like people wanted to watch godzilla fight for 2 hours like the bullshit that was pacific rim. if you werent bored with pacific rim by 40 mins in YOU WERE HIGHER THAN ILL EVER BE. the pace starts as slow as it can. the history lesson of the accidents. the nature of unpredictability. something is alive. when .and so on. all while mixing these tense understanding into the next big issue. what do we do when shit hits the fan. the movie does a fantastic job of teasing the mutos. this type of egg and wait type of suspense worked well. because when the muto is hatched shit goes crazy and you sit there jaw on the ground. then we move right back to another build. the movie is essential 4 build ups mixed in between each other.
    we want to see godzilla. theres a muto coming. oh shit theres two mutos. let them fight. all lightly mixed together until we get the clash that starts the last half of the movie. very reminiscent of the 54 version. pace. shots. sounds. tensions....fantastic..

the last hour..
    the last hour was an emotion rollercoaster for me. switching back and forth between plans and fights and attacks and mishaps, new plans. the last hour is hectic like a godzilla film should be and it was great. all the building in the first hour made the last hour fly by because so much was going on. the pace of the entire movie made the last hour incredible...

i will not talk about the character traits of godzilla....
    all though not a man in a suit, easily the best performance of godzilla ive ever seen...
    cg did wonders....i love him more now...

i will not talk about plot holes and odd decisions on the military side...
    its a godzilla film....i like fun too...
    tbh they point it all out in the film itself pretty well..

only one scene didnt make any sense to me...
    the hot olsen is at work(hospital) and her friends offers to take her boy to safety via a school bus leaving.
    cut to another scene.
    cut back to hot olsen all like" fuck whered that bus go"
    shoulda just put the kid in on the first shot and we could saved 2 mins of film.
    again...the hot olsen...useless...

the movie was awesome. i could use other adjectives but i dont want too. i want my godzilla films to be awesome. fun, entertaining. suspenseful. not so fucking serious and enough campy everything to make me feel like im watching a hd remaster of something from the 70s. the hole movie to me just felt awesome.

that ender though...

straight up...
    blood code..
    sega genisis..
    mortal kombat...
    fatality...

it was like 3 fucked up things youve seen before mixed together in one giant "IM FUCKING TIRED OF THIS SHIT YOUR FUCKING DEAD" mentality.

fucking brutal...
    cant think of any other term than brutal..
    just fucking brutal...

note.
    -did not sleep last night.
    -3d was super minimal.
    -going back in 3 hours.

ALL HAIL THE FUCKING KING OF MONSTERS...

pps.
    please dont compare godzilla to pacific rim and cloverfield...
    thats like comparing optimus prime against a at-at from star wars...
    SUPPORT YOUR HOMIES...

good review, I saw it yesterday eve with a couple buddies in the movie theaters too. Absolutely loved the film..
    I definitely agree with you about ken watanabe, I love the actor in general, and he played well in this movie too, but there wasn't a moment where he spoke and looked normal, like he was indeed always high.
    I too liked the pace, and like you experienced with other reviewers and comments, most of my own friends felt the same. I mentioned pacific rim to my buddy when he said he wanted more fighting.

I was a big fan of the original godzilla in 1998 and this one was even better.

Steam
    is gas form of water.
    PSN
    GhettoSk8aBoi
    XBL
    No.
    Wii
    No again.

Just got out of the theater about 2 hours ago. Did you get the How To Train Your Dragon 2 trailer that was way too long?

Ok so I gave this a 9.5/10. The half a point taken away for me personally was slightly the pace. This is just nitpicking here but on the bridge scene I thought, "Hmm, it's a long movie already and it looks pretty far from the ending." Which it wasn't. They wrapped it up nicely afterwards which is why it's only half of a point.

*spoiler* That finishing move on the first one was just awesome! Loved the impact. The second hit though... wow. I replayed that multiple times in my head. Completely insane. That, when the camera panned to it's face at the first fight to introduce him, and him *spoiler* waking up and giving one last roar before diving back into the ocean and subsiding was 100% bad-assitude.
    Last edited by GSB MLP I-XL; 05-17-2014 at 10:25 PM.
    YouTube: http://www.youtube.com/user/byounsk8
    PSN: GhettoSk8aBoi
    DEVD STCK Collective
    UnHeard
    Gorilla Kult SB
    Regs skate shop

Lb Mag: http://issuu.com/bladderboy/docs