Thread: Filming B-roll

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

Default Filming B-roll

So, I've been struggling to film some B-roll stuff to add to my video that I am trying to get together. I have never tried to film any B-roll before and I mainly want to try it as I have been getting inspiration from the videos all of you guys have been putting out.

Any advice would be hugely appreciated, any advice on lense size, locations, techniques as I am completely clueless.

Awful Awfuls!

Filming B-Roll isn’t as difficult as you think. It’s really just a matter of what you want to film.

Typically for B-Roll, sound is not important, but if you’re setting a tone for, say, the beginning of a video or even transitioning to another part of the video, it helps to keep the sound.

The subjects for filming b-roll can range from showing parts of the city to parts of a new park you’re building to something as random as a funny interaction with a pedestrian, and even your skater doing the simplest of things. There’s so many possibilities.

Here’s some advice:

- Use long lens when you’re filming B-Roll. Long lens is between 250-300 mm in the Replay Editor. If you’ve used the Zoom Glitch before, you should be okay.

- Film about 7-8 secs in length, just to give yourself some flexibility while editing. You can cut one end or another (or both) if you intend not to use the entire clip. Besides, that’s the norm for B-Roll length anyway.

- Make sure it’s relevant. If it’s part of a park you’re building, make sure it’s in that park. If there a clip with a trick that you think is really good, get some of the lead-up to that trick. Even the bails to a trick can qualify. Next to music, B-Roll can be used to set the tone of a video.

- Get a good frame of your subject(s). Your subject(s) don’t necessarily have to be in the center of your shot. It can off to the left or right in your shot.

- Use your judgment. Only you know what you want to achieve when you film a clip. Think about what you want to accomplish before you film it.

When you get into the mindset of filming B-Roll, it becomes easy. I hope this helps.
    Last edited by Amphan; 01-31-2015 at 03:17 PM.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

Big respect to you man, Thanks for helping me out.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

4 hours of experimenting, and... nothing.

The struggle continues...

Seeing the Light
    PSN
    arthurnunes98

i'm also having kind of a trouble with b-rolls but what i usually do is film more than the trick, film after you landed it and do some reactions, a flatground trick, start filming the landscape something like that... i wish i could help but i have no cap card filmer pack yt shit haha... keep trying dude

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

I will keep trying.

What I have got prolly isn't so bad, but I feel like it just the stuff I've seen others do... Panning shots of the buildings and such.

I know whatever I get, someone will have beaten me too it... but I gotta atleast find something a little niche.

Awful Awfuls!

Quote Originally Posted by TheIronz View Post
    I will keep trying.

What I have got prolly isn't so bad, but I feel like it just the stuff I've seen others do... Panning shots of the buildings and such.

I know whatever I get, someone will have beaten me too it... but I gotta atleast find something a little niche.
    Don't worry about what someone else has done. You won't really get anywhere if you have that mindset. Just go with your gut when you film right now. Besides, you just started doing this; it's not going to happen overnight. When you work on it over time, then you'll start to find that niche you're thinking…thing is you probably won't know it when it happens.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

It's nice to think that you guys wanna see me succeed. Pushes me harder to do better. Thanks for the motivation Coach!