Thread: Anyone here have or use softbox lights before?

Default Anyone here have or use softbox lights before?

I'm looking into buying a 3 light setup. I seen a product on amazon that comes with 3 softbox lights. Stand and everything. It produces 3000w of light. Does it seem like a good buy or should I go somewhere else for this? I'll provide the link of the item below. I'm going to be using a lighting setup outdoors, so far soft boxes look like my best bet. If you think otherwise let me know what you think of using soft boxes outside

http://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B002HVI...&pi=SX200_QL40

If you primarily are gonna use them outdoors id choose something else. This is studio gear. They are hell to transport and rig up and down, best be let a lone.

btw, how u gonna power them?

Quote Originally Posted by bohemian View Post
    If you primarily are gonna use them outdoors id choose something else. This is studio gear. They are hell to transport and rig up and down, best be let a lone.

btw, how u gonna power them?
    Yeah, I was thinking the same thing but I don't know what's good for outdoor gear since I'm used to studio gear. But to power them I have a generator my dad gave me that would be able to power it. Id just need to make sure it isn't close to the shoot since generators are usually loud.

Awful Awfuls!

I worked for an internet TV startup, and these very lights were being used for the shows.

Like bohemian said, these are studio lights. They're not heavy, but they are a bit awkward to carry around (in my experience, a small dolly with some bungee cords was used to keep it in place during transport). The setup can be a little annoying too (especially the black covering around the lights).

These can be used outside, however there has to be a power source nearby - a socket or generator - to work. You may need some weights with those too. It holds up against light wind, but anything heavier will cause the lights to tip over (possibly shattering the bulbs).

If you're starting out and setting up shoots indoors, this would be a good start.
    Last edited by Amphan; 03-04-2015 at 12:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Amphan View Post
    I worked for an internet TV startup, and these very lights were being used for the shows.

Like bohemian said, these are studio lights. They're not heavy, but they are a bit awkward to carry around (in my experience, a small dolly with some bungee cords was used to keep it in place during transport). The setup can be a little annoying too (especially the black covering around the lights).

These can be used outside, however there has to be a power source nearby - a socket or generator - to work. You may need some weights with those too. It holds up against light wind, but anything heavier will cause the lights to tip over (possibly shattering the bulbs).

If you're starting out and setting up shoots indoors, this would be a good start.
    I thought so too but i'm going to start doing short films and i'm on a budget so this setup seems like a decent set for the price. I'll be filming action, thriller short films. Along the lines of those so i need to make sure on any set thats at night will have plenty of light for any shot that comes by. I do have a generator that will handle the power of the setup though. Could you send me any links to a better setup for outdoor shooting?

Awful Awfuls!

I can try and look for some.

Is this the highest you're willing to go price-wise?

Sadly yes, i'm a typical broke college student haha. I wish i had more money to put towards this for a better setup but whatever i can get with the budget i'll make the best of it.

Awful Awfuls!

Quote Originally Posted by Bonksz View Post
    Sadly yes, i'm a typical broke college student haha. I wish i had more money to put towards this for a better setup but whatever i can get with the budget i'll make the best of it.
    Okay, it took a little time to get my bearings around the kind of lights to look for outdoor videography, as this is new territory for me.

I found one from Bescor so far on Amazon and B&H. It is good for outdoor filming, but I did see one of the cons as being "weak". Something tells me that's going to be a common theme. Anyway, I'll continue looking for more...

Thanks for the help, but i talked to some of my professors at my school and they're going to help me out with the lights. I had to upgrade my ram to help editing to be easier so im low on money atm to buy my own setup :/