Thread: Struggling with YT Quality... Help/Suggestions?

XBL
    emericaridr11

Default Struggling with YT Quality... Help/Suggestions?

I cant for the life of me figure out why some of you guys get such clean 360p quality on YouTube.... maybe my Cap Card is a bit outdated?
    what cards you all gots?

help me out, do any of these look better than the next one?

FCP Mov Convert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRZzrEsN3_8
    FCP Mp4 Convert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fStq_4is1lo
    Compressor Mp4 Convert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CST3TVqallc
    Adobe Encoder Flv Convert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuIoZ-zvLnc
    iskysoft Wmv Convert - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKtl344qe3g

thanks for taking the time to help a brother out

I don't see much difference in quality, but of course it comes down to rendering it out in h.264 or in lossless avi (Huge File)
    bit rate and the such
    Remember though how bad youtube will crush all quality, i myself use WMV over H.264 it has a better black depth, just a little bit bigger in file size.

That wmv don't look right? got a pixel dust look to it.
    for me FCP Mp4 Convert looks the best.

I am still rocking my PVR from OG skate days.
    5 years ago i did a test.. ;/

Wmv upscale 10mbs 320kbps ac3 ect..
    Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

XBL
    emericaridr11

thought the flv looked ok too..... and dont get me wrong Im no idiot (and you should know that), I know what Youtube does with re encoding
    and with my shiternet I just cant upload Lossy Codecs, otherwise I would probably use ProRes Proxy or something similar

it very well could just be the way my mac handles Flash and Html5, it could be that my YT shows more Marco Blocks and Artifacts due to me being on a mac..... could be that all you PC heads are seeing the right quality
    Because...

On Chrome I used to have this Extension that would force YT to use Googles Built In HTML5 Player (no not the youtube html5 one), and it will also allow me to force the codec to be WebM instead of Mp4..... and the quality was night and day (which no longer works on chrome now).... Im just fishing for any hope dammit, haha I know Im picky too

I will take a screen shot of the Video and upload here for you to see what I mean (and maybe you can let me know if you see those artifacts as well)
    THANKS FOR THE RESPONSE BROTHA

EDIT - yeah your quality looks damn similar to mine, could it just be the older pvr's algorithms are a bit outdated now and I expect more?
    Last edited by emericaridr11; 03-15-2015 at 05:30 PM.

XBL
    emericaridr11

I guess I half way figured it out, but not happy with it still..... anyways Daag (or whoever) take a look at these Snaps
    Chrome is just HORRID compaired to firefox, but firefox is horrid if I dont use this specific Add-On (so I guess I consider myself lucky to have it, but damn that Chrome one was so much better)

Peep it, and let me know if your Comp/Broswers like mine.... seems to be more a Mac Problem I assume
    you can really see it in his arms and the Ls Show

holla homeslices

PREVIEW

What capture card are you using? I use an elgato and i never had this problem before and im on mac as well.

XBL
    emericaridr11

Quote Originally Posted by Bonksz View Post
    What capture card are you using? I use an elgato and i never had this problem before and im on mac as well.
    thanks for the response Bonksz, I have a old PVR 1212 (the first one) and Muhzzy sent me a few Elgato files before and I noticed the Gamma and Saturation was messed with, wonder if thats a elgato thing... but

I just rewatched one of my s2 videos with this Firefox Extension, and the 360p quality is actually watchable as fuck
    so I guess all I needed to do was switch from Chrome to Firefox.... and I will miss Chrome

but thanks yall, Im still up for all kinds of suggestions though, I know there is alot of Encoders that have specific options that others dont have
    like.....

Handbrake has the ability to use H.264 with x264 (or even H.265 with x264) which is what I believe Youtube uses as well (I think)
    BUT handbrake takes my 1280x720 clip and makes it a funky size... I think this is due to the older PVR having black bars on top and right of the clip, so Handbrake sees black and says no content your output size is now 1276x718

haha so Im all up for suggestions still

there's not much I can add to what's already been said

however I too use a Haupauge HDPVR, the original also, on a mac

might I ask what software you use on your computer/laptop to actually record footage? personally, I use HDPVR Capture, which seems to be the best one seeing as it was developed by some guy that worked on Hauppauge, the settings for bitrate are really simple and I don't usually have any quality issues

one more thing, when you record, are you given .m2ts video files? if so, rendering them in After Effects or just straight up editing those raw files in After Effects (m2ts is recognisable and editable in AE) is usually the best way to go in terms of quality. m2ts quality is quite high and I wouldn't be surprised if some of the converters you listed are degrading the quality

To get the best available quality via the AVC/H264 codec settings – set the bitrate to variable and put the slider up to the max (13.5mbps). This will actually give you an allowance of about 20mbps at peak quality, whilst always giving you as small a file as possible. If you are recording at 720p you should also set the Luma and Chroma filters to zero (off). If you are recording from a lower quality source you should leave these at least at the default of 3.
    now it might be the case, if you are Recording in 1080i and then converting to 1080p, It will give such pixels ive never had a clean conversion from i-p without sony V giving me some sort of problem.

slight blur or blocky-ness is normally due to 1080i. Just means more work involved in processing.
    1080i.M2TS - Convert it in handbrake -1080p.avi for lossless .. then editing with that file
    Vs
    720p.M2TS with AC3 = works perfect in vegas ect, and is RAW format no conversion/no crushing or upscale.

Remember S2 had 60fps mode. not sure if it's on by default..

. I think it could just be a Mac issue though, as i know at the start the PVR never had mac support/drivers.
    That is another thing, that some drivers of the PVR work better than others..

"Side Note: There was a problem with the last set of drivers. Progressive Video recorded with driver version 1.6.29353 into a .TS or .M2TS container registers at double the frame rate in Sony Vegas Pro and caused it to crash with great ease. You can fix videos with this problem by remuxing the video and audio through ffmpeg into a .mov container. Check out this forum post here for further instructions.

Prevent this problem from happening by using driver version 1.7.1.30059 or above."

Now the last thing is monitor/screen. have you tried to view it on something other than the laptop/monitor?
    could just be the case of not set-up right or con-fig correct..
    Free test tool --> http://tft.vanity.dk/
    should use it anyway lol

Just wanted to add, i want the new PVR2 GE+
    http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/prod...us-gaming.html

really want Hdmi with its added feat/colour depth/higer bitrate.
    Hdmi is better than component so it could just be that too in the end. ;/

It is why i always go with 720p/edit raw m2ts files/render in lossless and let youtube do the final crush..

I hope anything has helped you, but then you probably know/knew all this info already

what you should do if you ain't tried also is upload a RAW.M2TS file and compare it to one you rendered/converted and uploaded.
    Last edited by DaaGooN; 03-16-2015 at 05:10 AM.
    Ask me Anything, I live in the Future. Just don't ask me about the Rhinoceros!!!

"The most dangerous creature on the face of the Earth, is an educated idiot."

http://www.youtube.com/user/DaaG00n

XBL
    emericaridr11

Tabloid I use EyeTv cause it allows me to use ProRes 4444, HDpvr capture was terrible, and had zero flash back recording,..... as a matter of fact I suggest you try out EyeTv, its by far the best for the pvr 1212

and let me get this out there, the Youtube quality is what is bad, it looks GREAT on FCP and Quicktime.... just seemed wild to me that I had such bad blockyness when I knew other people were seeing better YT quality, but Like I said I think I solved most of that with this Firefox Add-On

and Daag, I dont have Laptop I have a Desktop Mac Pro 3,1 with a Dell IPS Monitor......

and yes I know all that info and I would never use 1080i, Progressive only... and if I needed to deinterlace it I would Bob and Weave it, so it looks decent.... but I havent had to do that since my easycap

hahaha funny I actually Bought the Pvr2 GE Plus for mac, and resold it the very next day
    the recording Program that was used for it on mac was Pathetic to say the least, EyeTv is the best ive used (including Pvr 2 Program)

I dont use m2ts files and never will cause I have ProRes 4444 and Macs love ProRes

anyways thanks a bunch for the comments dudes, guess Ill just have to buy a Elgato HDMI and new Tv (which Ive tried to buy 5-7 of them with no luck, god tvs are so shitty now days)
    CHEERS DUDES

XBL
    emericaridr11

I think it boils down to what youtube wants me to watch... meaning

Youtube plays the mp4 version of the video, well this add on plays the WebM version (which apparently my mac likes a whole lot better)
    whats wild is that it takes the video from some crazy source (where its just the WebM video), like this...... LINK

and the size is the size I want too (but only on that wild link, not on youtube itself, I still get retarded 480p sizing).... and I understand that watching 360p is going to have some artifacts going on, but what I was seeing was horse shit

only downside is that since it doesnt use Youtubes Mp4 version, all the comments are disabled, haha
    this was the same as my Chrome Extension that no longer works, only the chrome extension had the small player size and allowed me to see comments.... shame but I guess I gotta deal with what I got

HUGE THANKS DUDES

ah alrighty then

will also defs give eyetv a try, sounds good from what youve said