Thread: What do you know about games?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fluckit Master

What Emmit said.

In two months I'll actually start studying programming, web developement and computer engineering, and after that I'm gonna apply for a 1 year course to get a degree in Developers of Embedded Systems. And once I've done that I'm gonna study Game Design. And making a game is definitely not just copy and paste and make a different UI (User Interface) it's so much more than that.

Lets take Skate and EA for example. Sure EA could hire a team, give them the Frostbite 3 game engine and hope they create a massive hit. But it's a big risk in doing that. First of all is the genre worth the money the have to put in?

Now what is costing EA money you say since they already have the equipment?

* Man hours.

* Other Equipment because shit might break or get replaced by something better.

* Groceries and chefs, cause people eat lunch right?

* Marketing cost shit loads. Imagine you want to have your 30 second commercial on the tv on 1 channel. Now let's say that cost X amount of money which is alot btw. Now imagine the marketing game developers make. For instance Rockstar and GTA V? With flyers, paintings on buildings, tv commercials in alot of countries etc etc.

* Staff for different roles. Sure you might work in an indie studio where you don't need a staff of 500, 1 guy might do 3 roles instead of just 1. i've learned through research that it's totally fine to know a little about everything. But it's so much better to specialize in 1 area than being jack of all trades. The more staff you hire that specialize in different roles the better the quality of the game (graphic, physics, design, art etc) But ofc the more people you hire, the higher the expense. (I found this site when I wanted to find out what kinda roles there are in game development so I could have it easier understanding what I wanna become. I think I wanna become a game artist btw http://creativeskillset.org/creative...ames/job_roles )

* Creating a game isn't a copy and paste process. You gotta make stuff from scratch (Most of the time anyway) and that shit takes time.

* Now I'm not 100% sure why developers/publishers have deadlines. But I assume they are there for to gain as much money as they can.
    Lets take GTA 5 again for reference. They playerbase or fanbase if you will already know that Rockstar put out quality games. So Rockstar have that extra time to polish and make a game without people getting bored of waiting.
    Like if I saw a trailer for a game that were just announced and looked badass but took say 7 years to make, I might gone bored of it by the time of release, hence the studio/publisher loosing money.
    Last edited by Seanne1986; 03-21-2015 at 01:04 AM.