Thread: nVidia Shield console

Default nVidia Shield console

Hey, do any of you PC guys have any feelings about the upcoming nVidia Shield console?

As most of you may know, I'm not really a PC gamer. My interest in the nVidia console (or any device that would do the following) would be to leave emulators hooked up to the tv. As of now, I have to connect my craptop to the tv everytime I play old, discontinued games. I'm not very interested in playing current PC games (which is why I'm not building a gaming rig). Have any of you heard anything about devices like this, and if they're worth looking at if you main motivation is older games?

thanks for any opinions, warnings, flame, brownies, whatever,
    -eb

I'd think it would be a clever buy. But first I gotta test out the stream service from Steam, If you can add a non-steam game and stream without any problems, that would be the best bet.

having the shield though you can use it anywhere to play your games. so to speak

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

the only issue I can imagine is that if you have *no* interest in modern PC games, you're paying for a *lot* more than you're actually making use of. You may want to look more into something like this http://lifehacker.com/how-to-turn-yo...sole-498561192
    The artist formerly known as Luft

thanks guys

@saunders i don't play portables so I'd rather have the little more power in the console version over the ability to use it on the go (i don't have great eyesight and focusing on the small screens is stressful on the eye). i wouldn't be able to stream from anything local as i don't have an nVidia card but, depending how much the subscription is the GRID system they have might be cool.

@luft. i meant no new games. the pc games i play are all older. kotor era. im gonna read up on the pi. i really want to make sure whatever i get can use my Tankstick and also has enough ram to not have issues with ps1 and 3do games

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    thanks guys

@saunders i don't play portables so I'd rather have the little more power in the console version over the ability to use it on the go (i don't have great eyesight and focusing on the small screens is stressful on the eye). i wouldn't be able to stream from anything local as i don't have an nVidia card but, depending how much the subscription is the GRID system they have might be cool.

@luft. i meant no new games. the pc games i play are all older. kotor era. im gonna read up on the pi. i really want to make sure whatever i get can use my Tankstick and also has enough ram to not have issues with ps1 and 3do games
    Yea the newer models of the Raspberry Pi supposedly run the PS1 stuff great, but I don't own one myself so I can't confirm personally. But I definitely recommend doing some research on it, if it can run everything you wanna play, it'll save you tons
    The artist formerly known as Luft

ok so after falling into the wormhole, ive decided to build a linux based htpc for emulation and have it boot straight to the frontend so i can use a controller. now i have to decide on a distro. im open to suggestions if any uses a good one.

Resident Fruitbooter Roccityroller's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by EmmitBrown View Post
    ok so after falling into the wormhole, ive decided to build a linux based htpc for emulation and have it boot straight to the frontend so i can use a controller. now i have to decide on a distro. im open to suggestions if any uses a good one.
    I don't know much about the linux distro, but if you need help with building/speccing a PC let me know.
    Hoodlum Threat
    Youtube
    Live Stream
    Twitter