Thread: Kilian Martin: Searching Sirocco [Film/Edit by Brett Novak]

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

Default Kilian Martin: Searching Sirocco [Film/Edit by Brett Novak]

Here is the latest Kilian Martin video released shortly ago. It's the Street/Free-Style video we have come to recognize, but this time it feels even more "art house" to me. Very interesting use of environments and the overall camera work is solid as ever. Kilian definitely doesn't pull any punches with the tricks no matter the surface. This one was also assisted with by Powell-Peralta and Kevin Harris (A phenomenal Canadian Freestyler some of the OG's will remember from Bones Brigade.). I will say that none of the tricks truly stood out to me except the Daffy Revert. That doesn't take away from the skill needed to handle what he did though.

Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3

XBL
    crni1976

Pushing the envelope, conceptually as well as technically. I can see it ties in with the (free) spirit of skateboarding, in its purest form of expression.

Cool watch, thanks for sharing.

Awful Awfuls!

Beautiful. Faved. Thank you replicant.
    Last edited by Amphan; 05-20-2015 at 02:12 PM.

Don't Worry, Be Happy Poncho Lord's Avatar
    PSN
    trompo54

as cool as the video is, this dude just seems like the guy that shows up to spots where everyone is skating and skates some random part of it by himself, making the entire session uncomfortable
    STREET
    BEERZ

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Poncho Lord View Post
    as cool as the video is, this dude just seems like the guy that shows up to spots where everyone is skating and skates some random part of it by himself, making the entire session uncomfortable
    That's an extremely wild assumption to make just from a guy's style, if anything he seems to specifically go places where nobody skates for the most part. Sorry if he's hogging the canyon rocks to himself, or an empty, long abandoned waterpark in the middle of the desert. :|
    The artist formerly known as Luft

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

There is no doubt the dude is a technical wizard. I think the only thing that makes me not like this is as much as other skating is, to me atleast, it doesn't look clean alot of the time.

Im not saying everything, but if you watch Mullen doing Piv after Piv after Piv with 1 foots and shuv-its and all that, it looks waaay more fluid that Killian. Same thing with when he does airwalks or fingerflips, his legs look awkward to me, like he is kinda just hoping for it to land bolts up.

I still love it though, because it is on a board.

Don't Worry, Be Happy Poncho Lord's Avatar
    PSN
    trompo54

Quote Originally Posted by Luftwaffe View Post
    That's an extremely wild assumption to make just from a guy's style, if anything he seems to specifically go places where nobody skates for the most part. Sorry if he's hogging the canyon rocks to himself, or an empty, long abandoned waterpark in the middle of the desert. :|
    na, he was skating off the back of black hubba in one of the clips and i recognize where he was in a lot of the nyc clips. i wonder if he pulls up to the spot and if he sees anyone skating it he just goes "ah, another day i guess brett"

and i didnt say he was hogging spots im just sayin the dude does not seem fun to skate with
    STREET
    BEERZ

XBL
    TheDietTea

Is that really what you took from the video Poncho?
    Haha.
    Well, it inspired me to pick my board up this morning.
    We will likely never meet the dude, so don't really get why that even factors in for you.
    I can't recall the names but there are two films I saw a few months ago.
    Both relating to two worlds, both the opposite side of eachother.
    Upside down and right side up.
    It could be interpreted as skateboarding being not of the natural view of terrain.
    Pretty awesome video even if it isn't that deep.
    It also reminds me of old school skaters.
    Concrete wasn't always paved and nice then.
    Almost like he was looking for something rough.

Fluckit Senior Citizen replicant's Avatar
    XBL
    replicant#2618

@Poncho Most of the spots were specifically picked out by Brett for the filming aspect along with suggestions from Powell-Peralta staff and Kevin Harris.
    Kilian is willing to skate anything you put in front of him. He has that sort of Daewon Song/Richie Jackson/Ben Raybourn aspect about environments.
    He'll skate a park, ramp, bench, log, etc. When he first came to the states and met Mike Vallely they went around Mike's neighborhood and just skated anything they found that would entertain them.
    He just genuinely loves to skate at every opportunity he can get. And I do agree that some of his tricks can look pretty sketch, but they are pushing the envelope in areas not many people are.
    Mullen is simply a God who studied Engineering and Mathematics to make himself a better skater...
    Daewon for example pushed Mullen's Technical ability and still does to this day while being one of the sketchiest skaters ever to grace a board.
    Bear "replicant" Powell
    "I am Shaolin-Style!"

XBL: replicant#2618

Currently Playing: Diablo 2 Resurrected, Elden Ring, Skate 3