Thread: On a Roll (next-gen rollerblading game) Kickstarter is up!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    XBL
    TheDietTea

I'm honestly a bit upset that these kick starters seem more appealing and legit whenever a new sporty sim idea pops up.
    I still want BMX The Game on my 360. I was kinda into that project. I told my friends and they actually got me stoked on it.
    So I don't know, I want to believe the Internet is shady.
    Also want new simulation ideas to toy with. No share from me. Glad to see effort in the area though.

XBL
    TheDietTea

So Im going to double post, I want to shed light on some of the facts here.
    I have my reasons for thinking away from kickstarter.
    How many games have had successful kickstarter projects?
    Ok, well how many of those were successful after the failed kickstarter project and,
    then going out of their way with a website?
    The only project I've seen so far is BMX The Game, personally.
    If it is this easy for a small team to have the technology out of the gate to have what looks Very legitimate why aren't renown companies just dominating the market?
    Opinions welcomed but getting a bit side tracked.
    BMXthegame.com is still a running website that is taking on live donations.
    The thing that's off about this in my head is that they have fine print under "terms of service" that says something along the lines of they can give up at a moments notice if they see fit.
    Take your money run, never look back.
    I know thats a pretty crazy scheme for some dough but that's the facts.
    I honestly Would love to hear something back proving me wrong.
    Not for my sake but just for the games.
    I would love to believe people aren't being exploited.

Don't Worry, Be Happy
    Steam
    TheIronz
    XBL
    TheIronz

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/how.../1100-6425480/

"At time of writing, of the 186 of the successfully funded projects, 63 have made their way to market, while ten have been classified as failures."

Just a quick glance, because you got my curious too...

Der Mohn Tintenfisch PoppySquidJr's Avatar
    Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Quote Originally Posted by Antwan View Post
    So Im going to double post, I want to shed light on some of the facts here.
    I have my reasons for thinking away from kickstarter.
    How many games have had successful kickstarter projects?
    Ok, well how many of those were successful after the failed kickstarter project and,
    then going out of their way with a website?
    The only project I've seen so far is BMX The Game, personally.
    If it is this easy for a small team to have the technology out of the gate to have what looks Very legitimate why aren't renown companies just dominating the market?
    Opinions welcomed but getting a bit side tracked.
    BMXthegame.com is still a running website that is taking on live donations.
    The thing that's off about this in my head is that they have fine print under "terms of service" that says something along the lines of they can give up at a moments notice if they see fit.
    Take your money run, never look back.
    I know thats a pretty crazy scheme for some dough but that's the facts.
    I honestly Would love to hear something back proving me wrong.
    Not for my sake but just for the games.
    I would love to believe people aren't being exploited.
    This project is very unique from most that you would mention. These guys clearly had some heavy funding out of the gate, and are not using Kickstarter for their entire development process. 50k is EXTREMELY low for a game, because they don't need the full development funds, they already have a lot to work with. They just needed an extra boost to make this a reality in the immediate future, instead of being a pet project for a few years.

On the other hand, BMX The Game is being made by a few guys with computers and nothing else, and was planned to be funded entirely by Kickstarter (and is running on donation fumes as is), these guys didn't have the early funding for motion capture, they didn't have advertisement deals out the gate to buff up their funds, they're running from scratch which makes it a lot harder.

The big thing here is that, well, yea, nothing is stopping BMX from taking your money and running, but they already have a functional, working prototype for something that will make them far more money if they push on with it. That's motivation enough to trust them. If there is nothing to *show for your progress* and they are taking donations, that's when things get real sketchy.

also, renowned companies ARE dominating the market, just without Kickstarter because the development for big companies is in the millions, and asking that much on Kickstarter would be a PR nightmare when people know that they can afford it themselves.
    The artist formerly known as Luft

XBL
    TheDietTea

Thanks for the info Ironz.
    Good stuff Luft.
    Sorry about taking the thread in this direction, I only mean well.
    I've lived all over the place. California, Florida, Ohio, people are shady no matter where you go.
    So To trust the word of someone online feels no different for me until proven otherwise.
    If it were a bunch of guys from this community I might feel differently.
    So on the flip side, they've raised 50k with just a demo.
    Those used to be free and now developers only seem to release them exclusively or have them at conventions.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Thanks for the info Ironz.
    Good stuff Luft.
    Sorry about taking the thread in this direction, I only mean well.
    I've lived all over the place. California, Florida, Ohio, people are shady no matter where you go.
    So To trust the word of someone online feels no different for me until proven otherwise.
    If it were a bunch of guys from this community I might feel differently.
    So on the flip side, they've raised 50k with just a demo.
    Those used to be free and now developers only seem to release them exclusively or have them at conventions.
    the demo is a proof of progress, nothing more, nothing less. It's not intended as a marketing demo, akin to the ones that used to be provided for free. This is a game running completely off of donations.

If things still worked like the time period in mention (with free demos being a normal thing), many of these companies would not exist, and this game would not be an option. for anybody. Those were the days where without a AAA publisher to push your game, you had no chance of making it at all.

XBL
    TheDietTea

Fair enough, you're making a lot of sense but I just can't seem to shake the thought.
    People coming together, what's the budget even for?
    It looks well along enough already. I Know nothing about the process.
    I assume if they have terrain and physics, all that, it's ready to go.
    Atleast demo worthy.
    You make it sound as if they are building a city based on funding.
    The only place it seems legitimate to me is if the demo is ready for feedback.
    Is it really so expensive to release a game on the PC?
    All I've heard about is the licenses for console releases.
    The only thought I muster is money is motivating them to continue using what they already have.

Steam
    PoppySquidJr
    XBL
    PoppySquidJr

Fair enough, you're making a lot of sense but I just can't seem to shake the thought.
    People coming together, what's the budget even for?
    It looks well along enough already. I Know nothing about the process.
    I assume if they have terrain and physics, all that, it's ready to go.
    Atleast demo worthy.
    You make it sound as if they are building a city based on funding.
    The only place it seems legitimate to me is if the demo is ready for feedback.
    Is it really so expensive to release a game on the PC?
    All I've heard about is the licenses for console releases.
    The only thought I muster is money is motivating them to continue using what they already have.
    They need the money so that they can afford to work on it consistently, instead of having jobs that consume most of their time. The game is NOT ready for main release, the demo is plagued with delayed inputs, whack physics, bad animations, etc etc. It's all a work in progress, it needs a lot of polish and a ton of content before it's actually done. However, this takes a LOT of time and effort, and if they have to work full time jobs then the game won't be finished for years. Making a game costs money BECAUSE it takes so much time. People who make games for a living are seriously underpayed and overworked (unless they hit unprecedented success a la minecraft) because while this seems like a lot, it's not near as much as what they'd be making working a traditional job instead over the same time period.

I get the concerns, and there are a LOT of sketchy kickstarter projects, sketchy game projects in general. BMX and On A Roll however are pretty legit, as far as it all goes. Money isn't just a motivator, it's the means to work on the game - and nothing but the game - for months and get the game as good as possible in a reasonable time frame.